Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Re:My Silly Superstition - 11 year jinx

TNViking wrote:
    Well all superstitions are silly but it just seems I get sucked in to the "This is our year" thing every 11 years only to be crushed ('78 and 2000, I was hopeful and the loss hurt but never really believed we were destined for the Big Game.)

By the NFCC Game in '87 and '98, I KNEW we were going. I, like most Vikings fans, was crushed and I still hate to watch, or even think of, these games.

This year I expected to make this game but I'm trying to hold my optimism in check and have a little more of a "Wait and see" attitude.

Main Entry: fa·nat·ic
    Pronunciation: \f?-?na-tik\
    Variant(s): or fa·nat·i·cal \-ti-k?l\
    Function: adjective
    Etymology: Latin fanaticus inspired by a deity, frenzied, from fanum temple — more at feast
    Date: 1550
    : marked by excessive enthusiasm and often intense uncritical devotion <they're fanatic about politics>
    — fanatic noun
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

LaBonBon is offline Rookie

TNViking wrote:
    I know this is stupid but I'm a life-long Vikings' fan so, of course, I'm superstitious. For the last couple years I've been expecting to be right where we our this weekend. We get here every 11 years.

But is anyone else worried(?) about the 11 year jinx? Since our last Superbowl, we have lost the NFC Championship Game every 11 years. And usually in strange ways.

Jan '88 we beat the overwhelming favorites in NO and SF only to collapse against a mediocre Redskins team. In '99 Denny gets scared, we miss our only kick of the year, and the kneel down. Now '10 and all looks very good.

It seems every 11 years the Vikings convince me to believe that this is the year only to crush my hopes. So I refuse to even think of the "S" word until after this game.

But maybe a little Favre magic can break the jinx.

Yes it's silly and stupid but...
    Please stop!!!!!!! As I've written before: this team cannot be held responsible for the foibles of the past. KTLK has been running an ad for this week's game with the preface about the last time we lost a Super Bowl and it's really making me MAD. STOP STOP STOP STOP with all the negativity. Does anyone ever stop to look at things another way--i.e. how many teams have NEVER been to a Super Bowl or even deep into the playoffs? Look how lucky we have been! Please folks, enjoy the ride and think POSITIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Prophet wrote:
    I only clean off the dingleberrie after an NFC Championship win. I have the nastiest taint dreadlocks ever, the Vikings need the W.
    How do you sit? Have you named it? Is your wife in on this plan or does she just shake her head at the two of you and leave the room?

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

how about 2000? That was only 2 years after the 1998 year.

Also, saints have never even made a superbowl, think maybe they've got something going against them?

shortmon is offline Rookie

Put away your 11 year fear, Foreth it is said that
    Purple Jesus and Lord Favre will deliver us from the dark and carry us to the promised land of Victory.

The Wall will hold up against all that is brought against it.
    Mount McKinley will not be conquered, and Loadholt will holt his own.

Rice shall be passed down from up above, Berrian mind that I Harvin not even mentioned the Chester of plays that will Chilldress the air.

Fear not my brothers, for the Purple Reign will pour down, and take Miami by storm...

thorshammer is offline Asst. Coach

sometimes i think it's our fans holding us back with all the negative vibes and doubts .... truely believe and it will happen ..... if you expect and believe you will loose .... guess what .... you will loose .... if you have swagger and truely believe you will win ... you will dominate and win .... just ask Dallas .... we believed more last week and ...... we won.... start putting out positive vibes ... we will win.

TNViking is offline Starter

We have no affect on the game at all (our good vibes and bad vibes are meaningless except to ourselves) but

11 more years
    Another NFC Championship game
    We were again the better team
    We again played horribly
    We again lose at the last minute

Forgive me but my silly superstition has been reinforced yet again. See ya at the NFCCG in 2020.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

marstc09 wrote:
    Nothing a HOF QB can't fix.
    .........snicker......
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Don't worry as it's been established by my dear lady wife why we lost last night.
    She's working from home and noticed that I'd set up to record the game on the satellite box downstairs - so I've been informed that it was my fault that the Vikes lost because I'd set up the recording hmy:
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

TNViking is offline Starter

It's strange but we've lost every game I recorded this year too. Nothing worth watching during the off season unfortunately.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast