Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    TNViking is offline Starter

My Silly Superstition - 11 year jinx

I know this is stupid but I'm a life-long Vikings' fan so, of course, I'm superstitious. For the last couple years I've been expecting to be right where we our this weekend. We get here every 11 years.

But is anyone else worried(?) about the 11 year jinx? Since our last Superbowl, we have lost the NFC Championship Game every 11 years. And usually in strange ways.

Jan '88 we beat the overwhelming favorites in NO and SF only to collapse against a mediocre Redskins team. In '99 Denny gets scared, we miss our only kick of the year, and the kneel down. Now '10 and all looks very good.

It seems every 11 years the Vikings convince me to believe that this is the year only to crush my hopes. So I refuse to even think of the "S" word until after this game.

But maybe a little Favre magic can break the jinx.

Yes it's silly and stupid but...

BleedinPandG is offline Coach

Re:My Silly Superstition - 11 year jinx

TNViking wrote:
    I know this is stupid but I'm a life-long Vikings' fan so, of course, I'm superstitious. For the last couple years I've been expecting to be right where we our this weekend. We get here every 11 years.

But is anyone else worried(?) about the 11 year jinx? Since our last Superbowl, we have lost the NFC Championship Game every 11 years. And usually in strange ways.

Jan '88 we beat the overwhelming favorites in NO and SF only to collapse against a mediocre Redskins team. In '99 Denny gets scared, we miss our only kick of the year, and the kneel down. Now '10 and all looks very good.

It seems every 11 years the Vikings convince me to believe that this is the year only to crush my hopes. So I refuse to even think of the "S" word until after this game.

I once heard a talking head describ the Vikings as something along the lines of the "single franchise which has most underachieved their talent and disappointed their fans". I couldn't have agreed with him more at the time.

That being said, this is an entirely new organization. The ownership is new, the HC is new, the players are new. No one on this team carries the stigma from the past failures this team has experienced. This team has been completely turned upside down since our last NFCC, much less that loss to the Falcons which is completely anciety history. That continues to leave that little fanatical vikings fan deep inside of me who I'm continually trying to temper with optimism.

This is the New Vikings, history be damned... we come to pillage... we come to dominate... we will be victorious.
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Nothing a HOF QB can't fix.

C Mac D is online now Posting to P'own

Tampa Bay won a Super Bowl, right? Historically, how are they as a team?
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

I only clean off the dingleberrie after an NFC Championship win. I have the nastiest taint dreadlocks ever, the Vikings need the W.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

I'm so superstitious I'm afraid of telling people of my superstitions.

I'm not kidding, I'm afraid all the good things won't work anymore. hmy:

We already broke the jinx!

We beat the Cowboys ass 11-years to the day of the loss to the Falcons. Jinx eliminated.
    None

VikingsDoll is offline Training Camp

Midge Resurrected wrote:
    We already broke the jinx!

We beat the Cowboys ass 11-years to the day of the loss to the Falcons. Jinx eliminated.
    Ooooh very true Midge, very true.
    None

TNViking wrote:

It is kind of silly ... we played in two other Conference championships and lost also, so it would seem that we are going to them somewhat regularly over time (this will be the fifth in 33 years) and losing, so there is no real pattern there ... just one you are trying to dig up.

If we lose, we lose ... has noting to do with a jinx ... if you dig far enough you can always find a curse or jinx. But an "11-year" curse is really stretching it.
    None

TNViking is offline Starter

Well all superstitions are silly but it just seems I get sucked in to the "This is our year" thing every 11 years only to be crushed ('78 and 2000, I was hopeful and the loss hurt but never really believed we were destined for the Big Game.)

By the NFCC Game in '87 and '98, I KNEW we were going. I, like most Vikings fans, was crushed and I still hate to watch, or even think of, these games.

This year I expected to make this game but I'm trying to hold my optimism in check and have a little more of a "Wait and see" attitude.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast