Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

Re: My New Best Friend

"NordicNed" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "Vikes_King" wrote:
    "vikesfargo" wrote:
    Chuck Foreman -- a Vikings legend. Just treat him with lots of respect and represent Purple Pride well.

Isn't there some anecdote going around that the OC for Bud Grant, Jerry Burns, changed the offense to get Foreman the ball through the air, and this in part inspired the WCO? If so, it's interesting that we run that offense again now.
    both the "West Coast Offense" and the "Tampa 2 Defense" were both, more or less, started in Minnesota
    So, it would be safe to say that MN is the birthplace of successful football ideologies.
    Choke on the Green Bay!

(now we just have to get that gol 'darnit trophy)

Not so fast boys.......The WCO was first developed by Don Coryell's St. Louis Cardinals...

Read below..

[edit] Original West Coast Offense: Air Coryell
    Kosar used the term to describe the offense formalized by Sid Gillman with the AFL Chargers in the 1960s and later by Don Coryell's St. Louis Cardinals and Chargers in the 1970s and 1980s. Al Davis, an assistant under Gillman, also carried his version to the Oakland Raiders, where his successors John Rauch, John Madden, and Tom Flores continued to employ and expand upon its basic principles. This is the "West Coast Offense" as Kosar originally used the term. However, it is now commonly referred to as the "Air Coryell" timed system, and the term West Coast Offense is usually instead used to describe Bill Walsh's system.

The offense uses a specific naming system, with the routes for wideouts and tight ends receiving three digit numbers, and routes for backs having unique names. For example, a pass play in 3 digit form might be "Split Right 787 check swing, check V". (see Offensive Nomenclature). This provides an efficient way to communicate many different plays with minimal memorization.

But many also like to credit Bill Walshe and the 49'ers for perfecting it.........

That's just becasue they won superbowls with it!!!

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

"NordicNed" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "Vikes_King" wrote:
    "vikesfargo" wrote:
    Chuck Foreman -- a Vikings legend. Just treat him with lots of respect and represent Purple Pride well.

Isn't there some anecdote going around that the OC for Bud Grant, Jerry Burns, changed the offense to get Foreman the ball through the air, and this in part inspired the WCO? If so, it's interesting that we run that offense again now.
    both the "West Coast Offense" and the "Tampa 2 Defense" were both, more or less, started in Minnesota
    So, it would be safe to say that MN is the birthplace of successful football ideologies.
    Choke on the Green Bay!

(now we just have to get that damn trophy)

Not so fast boys.......The WCO was first developed by Don Coryell's St. Louis Cardinals...

Read below..

[edit] Original West Coast Offense: Air Coryell
    Kosar used the term to describe the offense formalized by Sid Gillman with the AFL Chargers in the 1960s and later by Don Coryell's St. Louis Cardinals and Chargers in the 1970s and 1980s. Al Davis, an assistant under Gillman, also carried his version to the Oakland Raiders, where his successors John Rauch, John Madden, and Tom Flores continued to employ and expand upon its basic principles. This is the "West Coast Offense" as Kosar originally used the term. However, it is now commonly referred to as the "Air Coryell" timed system, and the term West Coast Offense is usually instead used to describe Bill Walsh's system.

The offense uses a specific naming system, with the routes for wideouts and tight ends receiving three digit numbers, and routes for backs having unique names. For example, a pass play in 3 digit form might be "Split Right 787 check swing, check V". (see Offensive Nomenclature). This provides an efficient way to communicate many different plays with minimal memorization.

But many also like to credit Bill Walshe and the 49'ers for perfecting it.........

Air Coryell and the Cardiac Cards???
    ;D
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Tell him you have a cat for your avatar, surely he will be impressed.
    Oh I know he will. I CANT WAIT!!! :P :P ;D ;D 8) :P ;D
    Wait, if there's cat food in this bag............................
    I HAVE TO CHECK ON JOLLY!!!!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"FreakinVikingsBaby" wrote:
    So I am currently residing in Frederick, MD-hometown, and still home to Chuck Foreman. I was chilling with my friend marcus and his cousin shatana. I was talking to shatana and we started talking football and of course I had to talk up my vikings. She asked me if I knew who Chuck Foreman was and I was like DUH, hells yea I do. Well it turns out she's his god daughter and I get to meet him next week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHOOO HOOOO!!!!!!!!
    Were you even born yet when he played?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

pack93z is offline Team Alumni

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "Vikes_King" wrote:
    "vikesfargo" wrote:

Choke on the Green Bay!

(now we just have to get that damn trophy)
    You folks wish you could claim the roots of the West Coast offense and Tampa two back to here.. but thought I would throw in a little history to burst your bubble..

The roots of the Tampa two were started with Chuck Noll and Bud Carson in Pittsburgh... here is a little quote from Tony Dungy himself..

The roots of the Tampa 2 system actually are in the Steel Curtain days of Pittsburgh football. Tony Dungy has been quoted to say "My philosophy is really out of the 1975 Pittsburgh Steelers playbook," said Dungy during media interviews while at Super Bowl XLI. "That is why I have to laugh when I hear 'Tampa 2'. Chuck Noll and Bud Carson — that is where it came from, I changed very little."
    *Edit - Read the rest of the post and seen this was in there already... sorry for the repost. *

As for the West Coast Offense... look no further than Sid Gilliam and Don Coryell for the roots of the principle's... Sid Gilliam revolutionalized the way offensive football was played in America..

The offense uses a specific naming system, with the routes for wideouts and tight ends receiving three digit numbers, and routes for backs having unique names.

There... a bit of history on a cold and chilly morn..

Viking fans want to take credit for everything... Geez... What's next.... The Lions winning a Superbowl? J/K!

MemphisPurple is offline Training Camp

"singersp" wrote:
    So I am currently residing in Frederick, MD-hometown, and still home to Chuck Foreman. I was chilling with my friend marcus and his cousin shatana. I was talking to shatana and we started talking football and of course I had to talk up my vikings. She asked me if I knew who Chuck Foreman was and I was like DUH, hells yea I do. Well it turns out she's his god daughter and I get to meet him next week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHOOO HOOOO!!!!!!!!
    Who really cares, I've heard read and watched him play he is awsomeness, and I'm only 15.

"singersp" wrote:
    Doubt it, I was born in 85. But if you know anything about my mom you'd be quick to realize why I know about Eller and Tark and Foreman and Ahmad Rashad and so on.
    Wait, if there's cat food in this bag............................
    I HAVE TO CHECK ON JOLLY!!!!

vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman

I do have a Vikings cap autographed by Chuck Foreman.
    I paid $20.00 for it in Mankato in 2002.
    Chuck signed it right there for me and posed for photos with my 3 kids.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"singersp" wrote:
    Doubt it, I was born in 85. But if you know anything about my mom you'd be quick to realize why I know about Eller and Tark and Foreman and Ahmad Rashad and so on.
    Are you insinuating that your mom had sexual relations with a handful of Vikings players of that era?
    Or just that your mom was/is a huge Vikings fan?
    I'm confused.
    ???

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"pack93z" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "Vikes_King" wrote:
    "vikesfargo" wrote:

Choke on the Green Bay!

(now we just have to get that gol 'darnit trophy)
    You folks wish you could claim the roots of the West Coast offense and Tampa two back to here.. but thought I would throw in a little history to burst your bubble..

The roots of the Tampa two were started with Chuck Noll and Bud Carson in Pittsburgh... here is a little quote from Tony Dungy himself..

The roots of the Tampa 2 system actually are in the Steel Curtain days of Pittsburgh football. Tony Dungy has been quoted to say "My philosophy is really out of the 1975 Pittsburgh Steelers playbook," said Dungy during media interviews while at Super Bowl XLI. "That is why I have to laugh when I hear 'Tampa 2'. Chuck Noll and Bud Carson — that is where it came from, I changed very little."
    *Edit - Read the rest of the post and seen this was in there already... sorry for the repost. *

As for the West Coast Offense... look no further than Sid Gilliam and Don Coryell for the roots of the principle's... Sid Gilliam revolutionalized the way offensive football was played in America..

The offense uses a specific naming system, with the routes for wideouts and tight ends receiving three digit numbers, and routes for backs having unique names.

There... a bit of history on a cold and chilly morn..

Viking fans want to take credit for everything... Geez... What's next.... The Lions winning a Superbowl? J/K!
    Yeah, well tailgating originated in Minnesota too. ;D

For the record, I actually didn't see a tremendous amount of similarity between the Steel Curtain defense and the Tampa 2 other than the position of the safeties... So I think it is safer to say the Dungy adopted a scheme from the Steelers while he was in Minnesota, and then perfected it in Tampa.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast