Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    scottishvike is offline Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries

My Love For The Vikes Began 20 Years Ago Today!

Recently I was thinking, how long have I been a Vikes fan? and decided to do
    a little searching on the net to figure it out, here's what I came up with.
    I had been watching the NFL on TV for about a year, the first game I can
    actuallyremember watching was the '85 Superbowl when the Bears beat the Pats. It
    was around this time the sport was blowing up big time in the U.K with William
    "the fridge " Perry becoming a household name, If I'm being honest he achieved
    a level of fame here that no other player has matched since. Despite being
    a keen viewer into the next season I still didn't have a favourite team,
    however that was about to change.

November 2nd 1986 week 9 Minnesota Vikings @ Washington Redskins,

OK you're saying that was last week but here's the deal. The TV coverage in the UK
    consisted of a 1 hour programme the week after the games actually took place,
    where they showed the highlight's of one game for about 45 minutes and a
    very quick round up of the other games for the remainder. The first time
    I saw a game on TV live I was shocked that it lasted 3 hours plus! Anyway
    back to the game which was basically a classic shoot out, with numerous lead
    changes, 3 missed extra points by the Skins and Tommy Kramer having 490 passing yards in total. The game ended 38-38 and OT loomed. By this time I had started rooting for the Vikings, I can't remember exactly why, I guess it's like
    when you are watching a boxing match with 2 guys you don't know and you feel
    an affinity with one of them. Either that or a whole truck load of offense!
    Unfortunately my new team lost in OT to a Jay Shroeder TD, who finished with
    378 yards passing, told you it was a shoot-out!

Over the 20 years the TV coverage has improved dramatically here, and now
    with the Internet it is possible to watch any NFL teams games live every
    week, however I can still recall getting up on a Monday morning and checking
    the text on the TV to see all the scores, still felt the pain of defeat though.
    The Internet has also made getting Vikings merchandising possible, back in
    the 80's if you were not a Cowboy, 49er, Bear, Dolphin, Redskin or Giant
    you were out of luck, I'm just glad this year I picked a Sharper jersey because I nearly chose a K-Rob one. I can also remember being on vacation in Florida (never made it to the twin cities yet) and buying some Vikes stuff, guy at the checkout was
    like "someone from Minny" to which I replied "no mate Scotland" the look
    on his face was priceless! The turn around in the teams has been interesting
    as well, in 1986 the Colts finished the season 3-13 whilst the Bucs were
    2-14 plus you also have the fact that L.A had 2 teams in the NFL that year.

Now I'd be lying if I said that it was easy being a Vikes fan, although I
    wasn't around for the SB loses I still bear the scars of the 3 championship
    games. The first one ironically was against the Redskins in 1987, by this
    time I had discovered armed forces radio so I was able to listen to the play
    by play live, although we nearly forced OT right at the end it wasn't to
    be 17-10 the Skins prevail. 1998 was the one that really got me, by this time the U.K had live coverage off all the play-off games. I really thought that was our year, I still can't believe what happened, apart from the missed kick the image of Cris Carter walking off at the end knowing his chance of the big one was almost certainly gone still haunts me. As for the 41-0 Giants debacle the least said the better.

PPO it's time you got some love, since I found this site I'm kept bang up
    to date with all the Vikings news and the knowledge of most of the people
    here has given me an insight into the game which I never had before. It also keeps me informed of the draft and college football, things I'm pretty clueless about, It's just a pity you weren't around 20 years ago!

Fast forward to the present and although things haven't been great for the last couple of weeks I really think we are moving in the right direction. At the start of the season with all the changes such as a new head coach and switching the offence plus the tough schedule I honestly thought a .500 season was as good as we could have hoped for. The expectation level was lifted by the impressive defense (history shows defense wins championships) and special teams play and if we can maintain that and build a passing game in the future I'm definitely optimistic as Chester seems to be able to do the job on the ground.

So 20 years and no Superbowls, do I ever regret my decision in 1986? I can honestly say no, not for a second, I still get a thrill when I'm lucky enough to watch the Vikes on TV here. The uni's, the horns, the feeling that these are "my guys" has never diminished and It never will. And lastly I will leave you with this thought, it's easy to be a glory hunter and follow a winning team, but when your team triumphs out of adversity to one day lift the big prize, the taste of victory will be ten times sweeter.

lakehubertviking is offline Asst. Coach

Re: My Love For The Vikes Began 20 Years Ago Today!

"scottishvike" wrote:

So 20 years and no Superbowls, do I ever regret my decision in 1986? I can honestly say no, not for a second, I still get a thrill when I'm lucky enough to watch the Vikes on TV here. The uni's, the horns, the feeling that these are "my guys" has never diminished and It never will. And lastly I will leave you with this thought, it's easy to be a glory hunter and follow a winning team, but when your team triumphs out of adversity to one day lift the big prize, the taste of victory will be ten times sweeter.
    Whoa, I just got the goosebumps from that.
    Bring on the Packers!

Desertvikingfan is offline Pro-Bowler

"lakehubertviking" wrote:
    "scottishvike" wrote:

Whoa, I just got the goosebumps from that.
    Bring on the Packers!
    8) Sweet. Reminds me of why I seem to enjoy suffering the sweet agony of being a Vikes fan year after year.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Ah so many memories there and brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it. The days of waiting for Channel 4 on a Sunday to see a game - any game but hoping it would be the Vikes that week. Playing around trying to find and keep the signal for the AFN on the radio.
    Even now I can't fail to raise a smile and thought to then when I hear such tunes as " Two Tribes" or " Holding out for a Hero" which were favourite tunes when going through highlights of the previous weeks games.

Like scottishvike I have no regrets about following the Purple and always enjoy when I get to see them - maybe being so far away makes us appreciate the times when we do get to see them.
    As for the goosebumps I know the one thing thats guaranteed to give me them... being in the Dome when the Introduction video kicks off, the noise and the sight of the longboat coming into the TC does it for me every time.

Keep the faith scottishvike, I know our day will be coming soon and maye sooner than many might believe..
    Skol!
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"scottishvike" wrote:
    Recently I was thinking, how long have I been a Vikes fan? and decided to do
    a little searching on the net to figure it out, here's what I came up with.
    I had been watching the NFL on TV for about a year, the first game I can
    actuallyremember watching was the '85 Superbowl when the Bears beat the Pats. It
    was around this time the sport was blowing up big time in the U.K with William
    "the fridge " Perry becoming a household name, If I'm being honest he achieved
    a level of fame here that no other player has matched since. Despite being
    a keen viewer into the next season I still didn't have a favourite team,
    however that was about to change.

November 2nd 1986 week 9 Minnesota Vikings @ Washington Redskins,

OK you're saying that was last week but here's the deal. The TV coverage in the UK
    consisted of a 1 hour programme the week after the games actually took place,
    where they showed the highlight's of one game for about 45 minutes and a
    very quick round up of the other games for the remainder. The first time
    I saw a game on TV live I was shocked that it lasted 3 hours plus! Anyway
    back to the game which was basically a classic shoot out, with numerous lead
    changes, 3 missed extra points by the Skins and Tommy Kramer having 490 passing yards in total. The game ended 38-38 and OT loomed. By this time I had started rooting for the Vikings, I can't remember exactly why, I guess it's like
    when you are watching a boxing match with 2 guys you don't know and you feel
    an affinity with one of them. Either that or a whole truck load of offense!
    Unfortunately my new team lost in OT to a Jay Shroeder TD, who finished with
    378 yards passing, told you it was a shoot-out!

Over the 20 years the TV coverage has improved dramatically here, and now
    with the Internet it is possible to watch any NFL teams games live every
    week, however I can still recall getting up on a Monday morning and checking
    the text on the TV to see all the scores, still felt the pain of defeat though.
    The Internet has also made getting Vikings merchandising possible, back in
    the 80's if you were not a Cowboy, 49er, Bear, Dolphin, Redskin or Giant
    you were out of luck, I'm just glad this year I picked a Sharper jersey because I nearly chose a K-Rob one. I can also remember being on vacation in Florida (never made it to the twin cities yet) and buying some Vikes stuff, guy at the checkout was
    like "someone from Minny" to which I replied "no mate Scotland" the look
    on his face was priceless! The turn around in the teams has been interesting
    as well, in 1986 the Colts finished the season 3-13 whilst the Bucs were
    2-14 plus you also have the fact that L.A had 2 teams in the NFL that year.

Now I'd be lying if I said that it was easy being a Vikes fan, although I
    wasn't around for the SB loses I still bear the scars of the 3 championship
    games. The first one ironically was against the Redskins in 1987, by this
    time I had discovered armed forces radio so I was able to listen to the play
    by play live, although we nearly forced OT right at the end it wasn't to
    be 17-10 the Skins prevail. 1998 was the one that really got me, by this time the U.K had live coverage off all the play-off games. I really thought that was our year, I still can't believe what happened, apart from the missed kick the image of Cris Carter walking off at the end knowing his chance of the big one was almost certainly gone still haunts me. As for the 41-0 Giants debacle the least said the better.

PPO it's time you got some love, since I found this site I'm kept bang up
    to date with all the Vikings news and the knowledge of most of the people
    here has given me an insight into the game which I never had before. It also keeps me informed of the draft and college football, things I'm pretty clueless about, It's just a pity you weren't around 20 years ago!

Fast forward to the present and although things haven't been great for the last couple of weeks I really think we are moving in the right direction. At the start of the season with all the changes such as a new head coach and switching the offence plus the tough schedule I honestly thought a .500 season was as good as we could have hoped for. The expectation level was lifted by the impressive defense (history shows defense wins championships) and special teams play and if we can maintain that and build a passing game in the future I'm definitely optimistic as Chester seems to be able to do the job on the ground.

Nice post, it's wonderful that fans from around the world can unite.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Pretty good, scottishvike!
    Keep the fires burning!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Vikingryche is offline Rookie

Great post!!! As I have been a fan for nearly 30 years, last season was the first time i got to see the Vikes at home. I grew up near Detroit, so i saw the Vikes there quite frequently.. Then moved to Tennessee and we travel to one game a year, last year we camt to Minny. As Anglovike said when that video starts playin and the crowd cheers, the players start runnin out gave me goosebumps last year.. It was so great to finally see them on their own turf after seing about 13 or so games of the Vikes when they were visitors.. Plus Minny was such a beautiful city, the fans were awesome, (nice not to get jeered and threatened like in Detroit when walkin into silverdome in all my viking gear)..
    It will always be one of my greatest memories in my life...
    Go Vikes !!!!
    I will always bleed purple !!!!

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

That puts a smile on my face. Thank you.

I've been through the 4 big superbowl losses. And Bud Grant and Fran Tarkenton are gods walking on earth in my eyes.

No superbowl win yet. But a lot of excitement over the years.

To watch people perform at the pinnicle of their expertise,when it occurs, is a wonderment to behold.

This years team is a little flat right now. But if the O-line can improve just a little, everything else should improve on offense,except drops.

No matter what happens,we seem to be moving in the right direction and should be pretty darn good in the next few years.
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"scottishvike" wrote:
    Outstanding read, SV!

Hey - here's a joke:

Scotsman walks into a bar - and he's got a steering wheel coming out of his fly.
    Bartender says - "Hey, buddy - what the - you know you got a steering wheel coming out of your fly?"
    Scotsman says (with proper Scottish accent) - "Yeah I know - It's drivin' me nuts!"

SKOL!

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

scottishvike is offline Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries

Anglovike
    Ah so many memories there and brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it. The days of waiting for Channel 4 on a Sunday to see a game - any game but hoping it would be the Vikes that week. Playing around trying to find and keep the signal for the AFN on the radio.
    Even now I can't fail to raise a smile and thought to then when I hear such tunes as " Two Tribes" or " Holding out for a Hero" which were favourite tunes when going through highlights of the previous weeks games.
    Yeah Anglo although the TV coverage is improved beyond recognition since then with 6 games being shown live every week now, Channel 4 will always have a place in my heart. Every Sunday night when that little number 4 rearranged itself into a football player I was happy. The tune I always associate with it is a classical piece but don't ask me the name of it!

Vikingryche
    As I have been a fan for nearly 30 years, last season was the first time i got to see the Vikes at home. I grew up near Detroit, so i saw the Vikes there quite frequently.. Then moved to Tennessee and we travel to one game a year, last year we camt to Minny. As Anglovike said when that video starts playin and the crowd cheers, the players start runnin out gave me goosebumps last year
    That must have been a great day for you, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Although I've never made it to the dome, I do regularly attend the Scottish soccer teams games so I know the feeling of watching a sports team you love in their home stadium. Last game there we managed to beat France, the atmosphere was just incredible it was so loud I had ringing in my ears like I'd been at a rock concert for about 24 hours after it.

jargomcfargo
    I've been through the 4 big superbowl losses. And Bud Grant and Fran Tarkenton are gods walking on earth in my eyes.
    I've always wondered if it felt worse to lose in the championship game or the Superbowl. At least we had the NFC title in the losing Bowls but I don't suppose that would really matter much at the end of the big one, I hope I never find out and we go all the way the next time.

AWZeus
    Scotsman walks into a bar - and he's got a steering wheel coming out of his fly.
    Bartender says - "Hey, buddy - what the - you know you got a steering wheel coming out of your fly?"
    Scotsman says (with proper Scottish accent) - "Yeah I know - It's drivin' me nuts!"
    LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast