Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Re: My dream for a new stadium

"singersp" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Open roof...this is a football stadium for playing football.
    If people cannot stand the cold then others will come in their place.

Who gives a pooh for trade shows and all that other nonsense.
    If it not going to be open, then save the money and put a roof over it.
    If they have a retractable roof and it rains a little bit and some sissy fan gets a rain drop on them they are going to complain and then the roof will always be closed.

I care about the Vikings; not Star Trek convention nerds.
    Amen
    Again though, if you expect public money to help pay for it, then you need to accommodate more public events than just Vikings football.
    It isn't a question of some sissy fan who doesn't want to feel a raindrop.
    It is a question of being able to use the stadium 300+ days a year like the dome is.
    Even if you take away Twins games, Vikings games, and Gopher games, that still leave 200+ events held in the dome each year that help pay for it.
    And there won't be any money brought in to help pay for the new stadium by either the Twins or the Gophers, since each will have their own new stadium.

There are several stadiums in the USA that neither have to worry about severe cold or even rain, yet they have or will have "roofed" stadiums.

Perhaps football was meant to be played outdoors in inclimate weather, but does that mean it has to be watched in it?

Even a stadium that has a roof, but open above only the playing field wpould be nice.
    Screw that hole in the roof, thats what the Cowboys lame-ass stadium is like.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Open roof...this is a football stadium for playing football.
    If people cannot stand the cold then others will come in their place.

Who gives a pooh for trade shows and all that other nonsense.
    If it not going to be open, then save the money and put a roof over it.
    If they have a retractable roof and it rains a little bit and some sissy fan gets a rain drop on them they are going to complain and then the roof will always be closed.

I care about the Vikings; not Star Trek convention nerds.
    Amen
    Again though, if you expect public money to help pay for it, then you need to accommodate more public events than just Vikings football.
    It isn't a question of some sissy fan who doesn't want to feel a raindrop.
    It is a question of being able to use the stadium 300+ days a year like the dome is.
    Even if you take away Twins games, Vikings games, and Gopher games, that still leave 200+ events held in the dome each year that help pay for it.

I don't.

I feel that the team should build it themselves, build it the way they want it to look, and charge what they need to charge to make a profit. I do not nor have I ever been in favor of government funding. When the government gets involved,there are always extra things that they require that end up increasing the cost of the project that could have been left out if they were not part of the picture.

And before you bring up "The cost is too high to build themselves", if Red had built it entirely himself when the cost was projected at 350-400 million, or even Wilf right away when when the costs were projected in the 500-600 million range it still would have ultimately cost them less than the 1 billion plus it is going to cost before the last light bulb is screwed in.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    The public should know that they are financing a football stadium; not a mult-purpose stadium.
    It can be a football stadium that can host concerts and other events still, but it is there for football.
    What a huge advantage it would be to have it snowing and cold playing other teams.
    You know darn well that once Nov. comes that roof will be closed.
    Why is it you guys think this is some huge advantage to us... It isn't.
    If its a disadvantage to one team it is the same disadvantage to another.
    Denver gets beat in the snow by visiting teams from southern climates.
    Chicago gets beat in the snow by teams from domed stadiums.
    It is true for all teams that have stadiums that play in fucked up weather.
    Also the Super Bowl is never played in those conditions.
    I have said this before and I will say it again.
    Pay attention

Bud Grant used to fly the Vikings out of MN in the winter to practice for playoff games because the fucking field was frozen and it was too cold to practice during playoff times.
    If you have an indoor practice facility what makes you think playing outside for the game is some kind of advantage?
    Its only an advantage if you have a crappy team that is hoping the weather will beat a better team because you can't.
    However that is not going to help you win a Super Bowl.
    Not ever.
    Its just a bunch of macho bullshit.
    When the metro-dome was built one of the reasons given was that we were at a disadvantage in January during the playoff time because the weather hindered our ability to practice for playoff games and we were not as prepared as we could be.
    A great runner slipping and sliding and not able to cut is not a great runner.
    Same goes for pass receivers.
    Same goes for Quarterbacks.
    Open air stadiums are great where its warm in the winter and they can be used.
    Face it the winters suck in MN and playing outdoors in it is not an advantage to a good team.

WWBGD

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

This is football if you are afraid of a little discomfort don't go.

RK.

Here is a good article on the subject of playing in weather.
    I liked this particular quote from a coach that I think most on this forum admire.

But Indianapolis coach Tony Dungy notes that the Jacksonville Jaguars pulled off a victory Dec. 18 in Green Bay, where the temperature at kickoff was 12 degrees (minus 3 counting the wind chill).

"That was supposed to be, 'You can't win with a Florida team in below-zero weather,' and they went up there and won the game," Dungy says.

"If you play better than the other team, you'll beat them wherever the game is played, whatever the weather is. ... We really don't subscribe to that indoor-outdoor theory."
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2005-01-12-cold-weather-teams_x.htm

WWBGD

BleedinPandG is offline Coach

"Marrdro" wrote:
    I like the concept, however, as with Uffda I believe the fans wouldn't.

I never got to see a game at the Met, but I can remember on more than one occasion, people that I knew beeeyatching about how fricken cold it was to watch a game.

Wonder what would happen if our fans had to re-endure those types of elements.

I for one believe the noise the 12th man can make in the dome is much more of a hinderance to a visiting team than the elements.
    Remember, our guys have to play in them as well.
    Actually, an outdoor stadium doesn't have to be less noisy then a Dome, it's all in the acoustic design.
    I can guarantee whatever stadium they go with, it will be designed to be loud.

Second, for the pansies wanting warmth.
    Why not create good doors to the concourse so even on those cold days the wimps can go out and find the warmth they crave every stoppage of play or whatnot.
    Maybe the heated seats aren't a bad idea either.
    Put a little quarter machine on the side... $1 for 5 minutes of heat...

I love the stadium design posed.
    Do something like the Bucs did down in Tampa but on a grander scale.
    Lets give the Vikings team a real identity, the franchise... the fans!!
    I like it.
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"RK." wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    The public should know that they are financing a football stadium; not a mult-purpose stadium.
    It can be a football stadium that can host concerts and other events still, but it is there for football.
    What a huge advantage it would be to have it snowing and cold playing other teams.
    You know darn well that once Nov. comes that roof will be closed.
    Why is it you guys think this is some huge advantage to us... It isn't.
    If its a disadvantage to one team it is the same disadvantage to another.
    Denver gets beat in the snow by visiting teams from southern climates.
    Chicago gets beat in the snow by teams from domed stadiums.
    It is true for all teams that have stadiums that play in fucked up weather.
    Also the Super Bowl is never played in those conditions.
    I have said this before and I will say it again.
    Pay attention

Bud Grant used to fly the Vikings out of MN in the winter to practice for playoff games because the fucking field was frozen and it was too cold to practice during playoff times.
    If you have an indoor practice facility what makes you think playing outside for the game is some kind of advantage?
    Its only an advantage if you have a crappy team that is hoping the weather will beat a better team because you can't.
    However that is not going to help you win a Super Bowl.
    Not ever.
    Its just a bunch of macho bullshit.
    When the metro-dome was built one of the reasons given was that we were at a disadvantage in January during the playoff time because the weather hindered our ability to practice for playoff games and we were not as prepared as we could be.
    A great runner slipping and sliding and not able to cut is not a great runner.
    Same goes for pass receivers.
    Same goes for Quarterbacks.
    Open air stadiums are great where its warm in the winter and they can be used.
    Face it the winters suck in MN and playing outdoors in it is not an advantage to a good team.
    What was Tampa Bays record for years when playing in <40 degrees?
    And this was when they are good.
    It is an advantage.
    You cannot tell me that when it is -10 the Colts are the same team?

Your just a puss who does not like to be cold...admit it!
    ;D

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"BleedinPandG" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    I like the concept, however, as with Uffda I believe the fans wouldn't.

I never got to see a game at the Met, but I can remember on more than one occasion, people that I knew beeeyatching about how fricken cold it was to watch a game.

Wonder what would happen if our fans had to re-endure those types of elements.

I for one believe the noise the 12th man can make in the dome is much more of a hinderance to a visiting team than the elements.
    Remember, our guys have to play in them as well.
    Actually, an outdoor stadium doesn't have to be less noisy then a Dome, it's all in the acoustic design.
    I can guarantee whatever stadium they go with, it will be designed to be loud.

Second, for the pansies wanting warmth.
    Why not create good doors to the concourse so even on those cold days the wimps can go out and find the warmth they crave every stoppage of play or whatnot.
    Maybe the heated seats aren't a bad idea either.
    Put a little quarter machine on the side... $1 for 5 minutes of heat...

I love the stadium design posed.
    Do something like the Bucs did down in Tampa but on a grander scale.
    Lets give the Vikings team a real identity, the franchise... the fans!!
    I like it.
    Have you had even been to a football game in the Old Met in the winter?
    At least half of the people who want an open air stadium never went, so they are only imagining what it would be like.
    The other half seemly forgot all the bitching about the weather at the old met before it was closed.
    You think people bitch about the metrodome now?
    That is nothing compared to what people thought of the met.

But for the record, again, I don't want a roof, retractable orotherwise, just because it would be warmer.
    I want it so that the public money spent could be recouped by the public.
    Some people try and say that they could still hold concerts in an open air stadium - and they can.
    But if you have ever worked in the concert tour industry you would know that performers require a larger percentage of the proceeds and a larger garunteed amount to play in open air because they typically do not sell as well as closed venues, and/or they can be rained out.
    Plus, that only covers concerts.
    What about all of the trade shows and other events that help generate money for the stadium?

Public money for an open air stadium is a bad investment for the public.
    As much as I love the vikings, I would rather not see the people of Minnesota screwed over in order to get them a stadium.
    NOw if the Vikings paid for it without public funds, like was suggested earlier. then I am fine with it...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

BadlandsVikings is online now Jersey Retired

"RK." wrote:
    [img width=450 height=297]http://www.crala.org/internet-site/Projects/Hoover/images/coliseum.jpg[/img]

This is still available and its open air too.
    ;D
    I used to like you, but now I hope your cats dissapear

RK.

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

What was Tampa Bays record for years when playing in <40 degrees?
    And this was when they are good.
    It is an advantage.
    You cannot tell me that when it is -10 the Colts are the same team?

Your just a puss who does not like to be cold...admit it!

;D
    When its -10 nobody is the same team.
    TB's record had nothing to do with the temp.
    Maybe they just lost to better teams..ever think of that?
    Playing in freezing weather is not going to bring us a Super Bowl victory.
    In fact it just makes it harder to sign free agents that could help us out.

WWBGD

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345