Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    El Vikingo is offline Ring of Fame

Re: My dream for a new stadium

This is my dream for our new
    Stadium .

[img width=450 height=315]http://www.andaluciaimagen.com/Plaza-de-Toros-de-la-Malagueta-Malaga-Andalucia-Espana_3406.jpg[/img]

El underdog.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Zeus" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    It is a nice dream Boyum, and I would go if it were built.
    But I don't think it is the best solution for the Vikings.
    The biggest problem is because it is an open air stadium.
    And not because I want heated leather seats and TiVo for when they have to take a leak.
    Here are my reasons:

1) An outdoor stadium would only be usable for event other than football for a handful of months out of the year.
    We are currently asking for public money to finance more than 50% of the overall construction costs.
    There is no way that the state or city would be able to recoup their expenses if the stadium was open air.
    Right now the Metrodome holds events 330+ days out of the year.
    We need a facility that can do the same, or there simply won't be any public money to help pay for it.

2) Fan attendance would drop significantly.
    The Vikings, even when they were the Purple People Eaters, had trouble selling out the old Met in the winter.
    Why?
    Well, part of it was because the Met was a piece of pooh.
    If you had ever been there, you know that's true.
    The only thing it had going for it was the outdoors, but that is why it didn't sell ou tin the winter.
    It was a miserable fan experience.
    And the Met only seated 45,000 people.
    That was another of the very big reasons that we moved to an indoor stadium in 1982.
    Now, even though we are in one of the worst couple of years in Vikings History, we are still selling 60,000+ seats at home games.
    If we were outdoors again, this wouldn't be the case.

3) Without a roof, we will not get a super bowl in Minnesota again.
    The amount of money brought in by both businesses and consumers is astronomical.

Honestly, I like the idea of open air in the fall months, but not in the winter.
    That is why I am in favor or a retractable roof.

Took the words from my mouth.

I'm also not so keen on the idea of a stadium shaped like a Viking Long Ship.
    Why not? Then we can compete with the Bears and their spaceship.

I am in favor of a retractable roof.
    I'm not.
    As we've seen time and time again, roofs are closed for reasons OTHER than fan comfort or home-team advantage.
    Add in the addition $300+million to the cost for a retractable one, and I just don't see the point.

=Z=
    I think it would be for fan experience.
    But I understand your point.
    It would be more responsible to just make a solid roof.
    The last thing I would want to see is a fully open air stadium.

But if it was I would still go.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Blog Entries

"El" wrote:
    This is my dream for our new
    Stadium .

[img width=450 height=315]http://www.andaluciaimagen.com/Plaza-de-Toros-de-la-Malagueta-Malaga-Andalucia-Espana_3406.jpg[/img]

LOL.
    Boooooo!
    Waaaay to far south for the Vikings!
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"marstc09" wrote:
    "C" wrote:

I guess it just sorta sounds like a cheesy idea. If it could be done right, and somehow they make it look great, I guess it could be cool.

I like the retractable roof too... but doubt we will have that sort of funding.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    I'm not.
    As we've seen time and time again, roofs are closed for reasons OTHER than fan comfort or home-team advantage.
    Add in the addition $300+million to the cost for a retractable one, and I just don't see the point.
    I think it would be for fan experience.
    But I understand your point.
    It would be more responsible to just make a solid roof.
    The last thing I would want to see is a fully open air stadium.

But if it was I would still go.
    The retractable roof would be added (as you point out) to expand the usefulness of the stadium beyond the few weekends in the fall when football is being played.

However, it seems that most seem to think that if there IS a retractable roof, that it will be OPEN in December when the Packers come to town, so that the great weather advantage will be in play.
    I, however, do not BELIEVE that the roof would be open in that case.
    I actually believe the NFL will FORCE the Vikings to close the roof on bad-weather days.

I, like you, want a roof.
    I like feeling comfortable when watching the game.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

"C" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "C" wrote:

I guess it just sorta sounds like a cheesy idea. If it could be done right, and somehow they make it look great, I guess it could be cool.

I doubt will have the funding to build any kind of stadium. I'm betting that either the dome will be upgraded and in the meantiime the Vikes will play at the TCF stadium at the U of M wile it's being renovated.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Ranger is offline Coach

The Packers don't seem to have issues selling out in the wintertime of Wisconsin...why should we in Minnesota?

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

"Ranger" wrote:
    The Packers don't seem to have issues selling out in the wintertime of Wisconsin...why should we in Minnesota?
    The Packers situation is totally different from the Vikings. That stadium does not have public funding and is only used for football. The Vikes stadium is publically funded and the state wants more "bang for the buck." In other words they want it generating revenue for more than football. Therefore it has to be a "four seasons" facility.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Blog Entries

"Ranger" wrote:
    Different fan climate.
    The Packers also don't have issues selling out when their team sucks... why do we in Minnesota?

The fact that we didn't sell out the old Met in the winter when the Vikings were a super bowl caliber team is exactly that - a fact.
    Unless the new generation of Vikings fans have placed a radically different value on the experience of going to the game (which the current situation of blackouts leads me to believe they don't) we would see a lot of empty seats again in December in an outdoor stadium.
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

Blog Entries

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "C" wrote:

I doubt will have the funding to build any kind of stadium. I'm betting that either the dome will be upgraded and in the meantiime the Vikes will play at the TCF stadium at the U of M wile it's being renovated.
    I thought that option has been tried and rejected.
    Less bang for the buck (to use your other statement).
    The renovations proposed to even get them up to current NFL standards would cost $300+, and still wouldn't do anything to affect the issue of ticket sales or fan experience.
    Plus future renovations, which would certainly be needed over time, would be equally expensive.
    Two or three "renovations" and we could have already paid for a new stadium that does not need renovations in the same time frame as the dome.

It is kind of like a new car versus keeping your old one.
    Yes, you CAN keep the old one running right now.
    But eventually you will have invested more money into the upkeep and maintenance of the old car than you would have on a newer model, which doesn't require the same amount of maintenance (until it gets older).
    The trick is finding the right time when purchasing the new car is cheaper in the long run than keeping the old one.

Anytime you are talking about spending 30% of the cost on a new car, er stadium, on renovations on the old, you have reached that point in time when it is better to buy new.
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast