Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Boyum is offline Training Camp

My dream for a new stadium

I've had this dream of an ideal stadium for the Vikings.
    A unique, one of a kind facility that will hold the interest of long time fans and be a wonder and source of pride for young and old alike.

First of all the stadium needs to be an outdoor, open air facility.
    The Vikings mystique was born in the outdoor elements of Metropolitan Sports Stadium in the glorious 60's and 70's.
    A poster mentioned one of the biggest mistakes the franchise made was letting Tony Dungy go.
    That is a great point but IMO moving from an outdoor team into the sterile, controlled environment of the Metrodome was the key mistake that is still haunting us.

This outdoor stadium will be shaped like a huge, Viking Longship complete with the shields on the side and the tall serpent's neck and head at the end where the scoreboard will be mounted.
    The facility should be built on a large piece of land with it's own parking, tailgating grounds and with a Paul Bunyan sized Viking Warrior standing tall next to the entrance.

Just envision the lead in to Monday Night Football in Minnesota where it's cold, snowing around that Viking Warrior and some pansy southern team coming up here to try and beat the Vikings.

Just like the good old days.

This is my dream.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: My dream for a new stadium

I like it but you won't find many around this site who will. It seems everybody wants heated leather seats and TiVo for when they have to take a leak.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

I like the concept, however, as with Uffda I believe the fans wouldn't.

I never got to see a game at the Met, but I can remember on more than one occasion, people that I knew beeeyatching about how fricken cold it was to watch a game.

Wonder what would happen if our fans had to re-endure those types of elements.

I for one believe the noise the 12th man can make in the dome is much more of a hinderance to a visiting team than the elements.
    Remember, our guys have to play in them as well.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

tb04512 is offline Team Alumni

i like the idea idstill go to the games but i know many who wouldnt go rigt about now through the rest of the year

Thanks josdin00

tgorsegner is offline Coordinator

Football is supposed to be cold.

As for our guys having to play in it, they typically have at least one or two cold games in chicago and green bay.

God i hate the Metrodome. What a mistake of a stadium.

GO VIKES!!!

VikesFan787, Thanks for the awesome sig!

I live in Missouri and if they build it I will come
    IT'S ALL GOOD IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD!!!

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

It is a nice dream Boyum, and I would go if it were built.
    But I don't think it is the best solution for the Vikings.
    The biggest problem is because it is an open air stadium.
    And not because I want heated leather seats and TiVo for when they have to take a leak.
    Here are my reasons:

1) An outdoor stadium would only be usable for event other than football for a handful of months out of the year.
    We are currently asking for public money to finance more than 50% of the overall construction costs.
    There is no way that the state or city would be able to recoup their expenses if the stadium was open air.
    Right now the Metrodome holds events 330+ days out of the year.
    We need a facility that can do the same, or there simply won't be any public money to help pay for it.

2) Fan attendance would drop significantly.
    The Vikings, even when they were the Purple People Eaters, had trouble selling out the old Met in the winter.
    Why?
    Well, part of it was because the Met was a piece of pooh.
    If you had ever been there, you know that's true.
    The only thing it had going for it was the outdoors, but that is why it didn't sell ou tin the winter.
    It was a miserable fan experience.
    And the Met only seated 45,000 people.
    That was another of the very big reasons that we moved to an indoor stadium in 1982.
    Now, even though we are in one of the worst couple of years in Vikings History, we are still selling 60,000+ seats at home games.
    If we were outdoors again, this wouldn't be the case.

3) Without a roof, we will not get a super bowl in Minnesota again.
    The amount of money brought in by both businesses and consumers is astronomical.

Honestly, I like the idea of open air in the fall months, but not in the winter.
    That is why I am in favor or a retractable roof.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    And not because I want heated leather seats and TiVo for when they have to take a leak.
    Here are my reasons:

1) An outdoor stadium would only be usable for event other than football for a handful of months out of the year.
    We are currently asking for public money to finance more than 50% of the overall construction costs.
    There is no way that the state or city would be able to recoup their expenses if the stadium was open air.
    We need a facility that can do the same, or there simply won't be any public money to help pay for it.

The Vikings, even when they were the Purple People Eaters, had trouble selling out the old Met in the winter.
    Why?
    The only thing it had going for it was the outdoors, but that is why it didn't sell ou tin the winter.
    That was another of the very big reasons that we moved to an indoor stadium in 1982.
    Now, even though we are in one of the worst couple of years in Vikings History, we are still selling 60,000+ seats at home games.

The amount of money brought in by both businesses and consumers is astronomical.

Honestly, I like the idea of open air in the fall months, but not in the winter.

Took the words from my mouth.

I'm also not so keen on the idea of a stadium shaped like a Viking Long Ship.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"C" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    Here are my reasons:

Why?

Why not? Then we can compete with the Bears and their spaceship.

I am in favor of a retractable roof.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"marstc09" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    Here are my reasons:

Why?

Why not? Then we can compete with the Bears and their spaceship.

I am in favor of a retractable roof.
    I'm not.
    As we've seen time and time again, roofs are closed for reasons OTHER than fan comfort or home-team advantage.
    Add in the addition $300+million to the cost for a retractable one, and I just don't see the point.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast