Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

My breakdowns for the Atlanta Game

Disclaimer: I am not a football expert.
    I am a fan.
    Feel free to ridicule and pick apart this post as you see fit...

A lot of people seem to be rejoicing now that Vick won't be coming into Minnesota.
    But to be honest, we might be in a worse spot now.
    Vick was a sub par passer who relied on his legs to get him out of trouble.
    We have the number one rush defense from last year, and a pass defense that has looked better, but is still suspect.
    We might have been better off with Vick.
    But that is moot now, so here is my breakdown on the upcoming game.

Minnesota OL vs Atlanta DL
    Edge: Atlanta
    Yes, Atlanta lost Kerney, but picked up Jamaal Anderson.
    Abraham is not the top DE in the business, but doesn't need to be to attack our right side.
    Atlanta will also be bringing in blitzes against TJack to keep him off balance, count on it.
    Our OL needs to have a good game.

Minnesota passing attack against Atlanta Secondary
    DeAngelo Hall will be facing Twill and Wade, depending on where he lines up.
    TWill has a speed advantage on Hall, but those under thrown deep passes will be picked if TJack isn't careful. If we are going to be successful passing, we are going to have to use the short game on Sunday.

Minnesota passing attack against Atlanta LBs
    Edge: Minnesota
    This should play into our strengths.
    The Atlanta LB corps isn't bad, but isn't great either.
    If TJack can tighten up his passes a little, we should ba able to complete those 3 and 4 yard passes all day.
    Unfortunately, a 4 yard pass won't do crap for us on 3rd and long, so we need to avoid costly penalties that put us in that position.

Minnesota running attack against Atlanta rushing defense
    Atlanta's nose tackle led the league last year in tackles for a loss, so don't expect us to run it up the middle much.
    But we should be able to run to both sides with out problem.
    The left side should dominate Anderson, and AD can outrun Abraham on the right.
    I honestly expect to see a 100 yard rushing performance out of one of our backs on Sunday, with the second easily breaking 50 mark.
    We need the running game to take pressure off from TJack, and luckily I think this will be a shining point for us.

Atlanta OL vs Minnesota DL
    Edge: Draw
    The Williams brothers will be able to shut down any running attack up the middle, and should be able to force the pocket a little.
    Pat is a great run stopper, but simply isn't a pass rusher.
    The DEs need to step up their game.
    James and Udeze haven't impressed me at all in preseason, but Robinson has, and I think he will see quite a bit of time on rotation.
    Harrington makes bad decisions under pressure, so if we can get to him, our D will pull a couple of picks.
    That is a big IF at this point though...

Atlanta passing attack against Minnesota pass defense
    I am a little worried about the spread offense that Atlanta will likely bring against us.
    I think they are going to try and dink and dunk on us like NE did last year.
    This isn't last year's pass defense though, and I don't think Joey has the skills that Tom Brady has.
    Our LBs have stepped up their game, and the secondary is looking strong.
    Atlanta's best receiver is Alge Crumpler, and he could cause some confusion on Griffin's side of the field.
    Hopefully Frazier has game planned for him.

Atlanta running attack against Minnesota rushing defense
    Warrick Dunn is going to play, but he isn't 100% yet IMHO.
    Plus he will be playing into our strength.
    No running against us on Sunday.
    Not in our house!

Special Teams
    Our special teams were god awful in preseason.
    We will have more starters on return coverage in the regular season, but that doesn't help much if we can't kick the ball past the 25.
    I hate to say it, but I don't expect this to be a high scoring game at all, and special teams could lose this game for us if we aren't careful...

Intangibles
    Atlanta, whether they will admit it or not, are distracted by the Vick situation.
    I expect there to be some communication breakdowns with Atlanta anyway, and if we can get the crowd into we could see a decent amount of penalties.
    This is where home field advantage comes into play.
    I know that that players are coached to ignore the crowd, but they are human too.
    I expect a lot of noise on Sunday.
    If any of us at the game leaves the Metrodome with a voice left, then we have failed.

My prediction: Minnesota 17, Atlanta 10
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

Re: My breakdowns for the Atlanta Game

The Williams brothers will be able to shut down any running attack up the middle, and should be able to force the pocket a little.
    James and Udeze haven't impressed me at all in preseason, but Robinson has, and I think he will see quite a bit of time on rotation.
    Harrington makes bad decisions under pressure, so if we can get to him, our D will pull a couple of picks.
    Couldn't agree more with this (at least the DE part). Robison looked great during the preseason. I may be jumping the gun a bit, but this guy should start sooner rather than later. I'm excited to see him play in a real game.

I think I'd give the nod to the Vikes in this category though, not a draw.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

I didn't read any of that. But damn, I'm excited for Sunday!

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Nice job NP.
    I wish Ron Mexico was playing, would love to destroy that team with him at the helm.
    That team is going through internal turmoil now, no doubt, with that whole Ron Mexico thing playing out during the camps and preseason games.
    The Vikings are doing the opposite, building up comradery while getting rid of some of the societal outcasts.
    I don't think either team will go into this game thinking they are superior.
    I do have all the confidence that Joey Harrington will help give the Vikings a top-rated defense after week 1.
    I expect this to be a low scoring game (<30 total pts) with the Vikings coming out on top.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"Ltrey" wrote:
    I didn't read any of that. But gol 'darnit, I'm excited for Sunday!
    LOL.

4 days away...
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

You my friend are a true asset to this page.

What a great breakdown.

I really worry about the spread offense that I saw them running this preseason.
    Hope our RDE (YUP there is a difference) will get some pressure, no matter who is in there so that Joey will start chucking it up.

If that happens, I believe our D will score once and give us the ball back twice in realatively good field position which results in 2 FG's.
    Our offense will be very boring as they keep the ball on the ground alot, chewing up the clock and dinking and dunking the ball down the field.

We give up a cheap one at the end............. 27-17.
    Vikes.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

"C" wrote:
    Couldn't agree more with this (at least the DE part). Robison looked great during the preseason. I may be jumping the gun a bit, but this guy should start sooner rather than later. I'm excited to see him play in a real game.

I think I'd give the nod to the Vikes in this category though, not a draw.

Our defensive line will be dominant this year. Getting pressure without blitzing is our goal, and now we have a strong rotation, not only at the DE position, but at DT with Fred Evans coming in. He has the ability to split blockers and will get a big push especially when they double team Kevin. Advantage Vikes. Robison, Scott, and James rotating will be awesome this year in the fourth Qtr when a big play can seal a victory for us.

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Great stuff NP, this is just what we need more of around here.

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    Minnesota OL vs Atlanta DL
    Yes, Atlanta lost Kerney, but picked up Jamaal Anderson.
    Abraham is not the top DE in the business, but doesn't need to be to attack our right side.
    Atlanta will also be bringing in blitzes against TJack to keep him off balance, count on it.
    Our OL needs to have a good game.
    Some of their rushers might be giving TJack problems, but the way our OL can possibly dominate the run game if they live up to expectations, I might be willing to call this one a push.

Minnesota passing attack against Atlanta Secondary
    DeAngelo Hall will be facing Twill and Wade, depending on where he lines up.
    TWill has a speed advantage on Hall, but those under thrown deep passes will be picked if TJack isn't careful. If we are going to be successful passing, we are going to have to use the short game on Sunday.
    Not much to say there, I agree.

Minnesota passing attack against Atlanta LBs
    This should play into our strengths.
    The Atlanta LB corps isn't bad, but isn't great either.
    If TJack can tighten up his passes a little, we should ba able to complete those 3 and 4 yard passes all day.
    Unfortunately, a 4 yard pass won't do crap for us on 3rd and long, so we need to avoid costly penalties that put us in that position.
    I don't know, but it's true that if the timing routes underneath is going to work out, we'll probably be able to work the middle of the field.

Minnesota running attack against Atlanta rushing defense
    Atlanta's nose tackle led the league last year in tackles for a loss, so don't expect us to run it up the middle much.
    But we should be able to run to both sides with out problem.
    The left side should dominate Anderson, and AD can outrun Abraham on the right.
    I honestly expect to see a 100 yard rushing performance out of one of our backs on Sunday, with the second easily breaking 50 mark.
    We need the running game to take pressure off from TJack, and luckily I think this will be a shining point for us.
    We are going to run around the edges, and I think you should expect to see a lot of pulling on the lines.

We agree again, we really need to step up the DE play. But perhaps we can with some of the young guys in there. It's definitely one of the things to watch for here in the beginning of the season.

Atlanta passing attack against Minnesota pass defense
    I am a little worried about the spread offense that Atlanta will likely bring against us.
    I think they are going to try and dink and dunk on us like NE did last year.
    This isn't last year's pass defense though, and I don't think Joey has the skills that Tom Brady has.
    Our LBs have stepped up their game, and the secondary is looking strong.
    Atlanta's best receiver is Alge Crumpler, and he could cause some confusion on Griffin's side of the field.
    Hopefully Frazier has game planned for him.
    Harrington is not as bad as everyone seems to think. I'd call this edge Atalanta initially, based on our play from last year. But of course you hope this is one of the things that we're going to improve upon.

Atlanta running attack against Minnesota rushing defense
    Warrick Dunn is going to play, but he isn't 100% yet IMHO.
    Plus he will be playing into our strength.
    No running against us on Sunday.
    Not in our house!
    Dunn is getting older, and we should shut their running game down. But actually I'd be more worried about Norwood than Dunn.

Special Teams
    Our special teams were god awful in preseason.
    We will have more starters on return coverage in the regular season, but that doesn't help much if we can't kick the ball past the 25.
    I hate to say it, but I don't expect this to be a high scoring game at all, and special teams could lose this game for us if we aren't careful...
    We have sucked in preseason, so we truly need to find something we haven't seen in a while, when the team takes the field on sunday

Intangibles
    Atlanta, whether they will admit it or not, are distracted by the Vick situation.
    I expect there to be some communication breakdowns with Atlanta anyway, and if we can get the crowd into we could see a decent amount of penalties.
    This is where home field advantage comes into play.
    I know that that players are coached to ignore the crowd, but they are human too.
    I expect a lot of noise on Sunday.
    If any of us at the game leaves the Metrodome with a voice left, then we have failed.
    I hope you're right, but Atlanta also might just pull together. I seriously hope that there get a few more tickets sold here in the last days, and that the homefield advantage will help swing the game our way.

My prediction: Minnesota 17, Atlanta 10
    I'll go with that

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

PurplePowerPunch is offline Pro-Bowler

Thank god Vick not playing. Remember the last time he played tha Vikes. O by the way, he's still running out of tha Metrodome!!!

ALL DAY!!!

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

17 points seems like a lot. but i guess the defense is going to score because we all know that harrington loves to throw to purple. sharper will have a int, and maybe a linebacker as well. turnovers will be the difference, just like it is in every game. i expect us to win this game.
    24-17 vikings win
    (vikings scores: a run, pass, and def td with a field goal)
    We're bringing purple back.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast