Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    echizen20 is offline Rookie

My Assessment and Feelings about the Vikings and where they rank in the NFL

Hello everyone, I just thought I'd like to say whats on my mind about how I feel about this Vikings team.
    You may or may not agree with some of the things i'll say but it's all just a matter of opinion right?

Right now based on the Vikings record and how they are playing, I will say they are a lock on the NFC North champs.
    I just don't see the other 3 teams in our division better than us at this point.
    I don't see us playing worse during the 2nd half of the season either.
    I think the only thing that will hold us back or not playing at our full potential is if we lose several playmakers to injuries.
    Other than that, I see every team ahead in the schedule beatable, some tougher than others obviously but winnable considering the amount of talent we have.

Right now, I don't see any team in the NFL that can flat out stop our offense both running and passing.
    While I don't want to say that we have an unstoppable pass or run game, I will say that to this point we have shown and proven that we can run and pass both very effectively.
    We are basically very balanced, probably the most balanced offense in the NFL.
    This means that teams are going to have to be very careful game planning against us.
    We all know that if they put 8 or more men in the box and if Favre really favors the matchups that he sees on the field, he can audible and make something happen downfield, he has shown that already.
    And with AD lined up behind him, teams just seemingly have to always watch out for him.
    Seriously teams just can't play us and be too focused on stopping Peterson or backing out into coverages.
    And if they just leave 7 in the box and are playing both the run and pass, we still have the advantage.
    Just look at how the Ravens played us, they pretty much played to stop AP, Favre burnt them downfield, they backed off, Peterson started getting big runs...and the Ravens were supposed to be our first real test for our offense.
    It's like what the experts are saying, they have to pick their poison.
    If the offense stays healthy, this team can easily put up minimum 20+(30 average) a game.
    I think its safe to say the Saints and maybe the Colts have a little more firepower than us but our team will be the harder one to gameplan against because we are so versatile.
    And come Playoff-Superbowl time, when it matters that you have to be able to Run and Pass, our team can certainly do both very well.

Offensively I think we have established our Identity and that is, as i said earlier, we are a very good and balanced offense and we're still improving.
    I say that because I totally agree with Favre and I see all the talent as a whole.
    Our Identity on the defense...I'm going to say we haven't really put a print on it yet.
    Just because we haven't shown consistency, we play very well and then end up playing sloppy or viceversa, but what i do know is, like our offense, we have the playmakers and we have the talent.
    I still have yet to see a complete game and consistency from the defense and to see if they can carry that consistency from game to game.
    But consistent or not, the defense has played good enough that when the game is over, the points on our side of the scoreboard is > the opponents.
    And in the end, thats all that matters.
    You move on, you work, you practice, you study, you improve, and then when gameday comes, you play and you play to win.
    I'm not saying we dont have any weaknesses, heck you can't look at the other 31 teams in the NFL and say they don't have weaknesses either, but wins and losses aren't just because of teams own strengths or weaknesses.
    You have to believe wins and losses are resulted by many things, luck, passion, effort, talent, play calling, and most importantly teamwork.
    And the Vikings have certainly displayed all of that for the most part.

If you look at our team on paper...and look at some of the players we have on the team...and you watch how we have played...and you look at the stats...and you look at our undefeated 6-0 record, we are one of the best teams right now in the NFL.
    Some may argue that we're not the best team in the NFL and that we're only lucky, well even I believe right now we are not the best team in the NFL. But it isn't the best team that always wins games.
    Its the team that by the end of the day has more points.
    And best team or not, i have confidence we can beat anybody.
    I'm sure the Vikings Locker room feel the same way.
    Well this is what I truly feel about this team and as a big Brett Favre and AD fan, i just gotta believe this has to be the year for them to win the championship.
    I realize in the end it may not turn out the way i hope it to, but so far all my expectations have been exceeded of the team and I'm fully enjoying watching this team play week after week, afterall we do have the two most exciting players to watch in the NFL.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: My Assessment and Feelings about the Vikings and where they rank in the NFL

Thanks for the well thought out and crafted post.

Quick question not only for you but for all the rest of PPO........
    How much longer will it take for this team to be considered as no longer "a work in progress", "developing", "gelling", "meshing together"?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:

How much longer will it take for this team to be considered as no longer "a work in progress", "developing", "gelling", "meshing together"?
    That's tough to say and a good question Marr.
    I believe every team is a work in progress all the time.
    After all you have to game plan differently and continue to improve each and every week.

As far as gelling is concerned, there is still work to do.
    The OL seems to be doing better but as you pointed out and I totally agree with the defensive secondary is having a tough go at it.
    The hand off between CB and S on plays seems pathetic at times.
    I noticed that they started playing more of a man on defense against the Ravens as evidenced by Paymah and Griff still being with the WRs on the long passes.
    It seemed more often than before.
    The DL has been together now for over a year so hey are gelling just fine.
    The one criticism I have believe it or not are for Allen and Robison.
    It isn't such a bad thing but sometimes I think they come to quick off the snap and in essense take themselves out of the play.
    Especially on screens or draw plays.
    That maybe what's called though so I can't really blame them.
    Especially when they are always on the QBs ass pressuring them.

The offense itself is clicking but to me it is still a work in progress.
    Favre and the WRs seem to be doing fine now but there are still things they need to learn about each other.
    That is another constant work in progress, gell and mesh.

That being said, I am happy with how the team is playing this year.
    They are continuing to improve week after week.
    They just need to put an entire 60 minutes of football together on both sides of the ball.
    If they can start doing that I believe there is no team they cannot beat in the NFL.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"Marrdro" wrote:

I think Favre being here (new QB under center) grealy increases the amount of time it takes for the team to completely develop or gell together.
    But hey, even this developing Vikings team is better than last year's gelled team so I'll take it.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:

when we're no longer last in yards against on defense and 5th last in points against.

Pretty good take echizon20.
    I really agree with that last paragraph.
    The Vikes look good enough to beat anybody if things line up, and they're a very fun team to watch.
    It'd be great to turn that into a Super Bowl win, but the ride is pretty darn fun even if they don't get there.

"Marrdro" wrote:

Every team is always "a work in progress" according to their coach and fans.
    It makes everyone feel better about the team's weaknesses.
    And it's kind of true, because they are practicing and adding new things to the playbook every week.

But that doesn't mean that teams always get better as the season goes on.
    Sometimes teams get worse, and that could happen to the Vikes here.
    I hope they don't, but it happens to some teams every year.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

echizen20 is offline Rookie

"Marrdro" wrote:

The answer to that question is.........When the Minnesota Vikings win the superbowl

Blog Entries

"echizen20" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

The answer to that question is.........When the Minnesota Vikings win the superbowl
    This february

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

when we're no longer last in yards against on defense and 5th last in points against.
    Since neither of those are true, I guess the answer is "now".

Vikings are 18th in Yards/Game 341.8/game and 18th in points allowed/game at 20.2/game.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Blog Entries

"Zeus" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

Since neither of those are true, I guess the answer is "now".

Vikings are 18th in Yards/Game 341.8/game and 18th in points allowed/game at 20.2/game.

=Z=
    well who the hell told me otherwise?
    I just copied that from another thread.
    That will teach me to believe what people here say.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast