Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Must Read Analyst of Ponder... Best I've Read

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1097945
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1097890
    Quote Originally Posted by "slavinator" #1097889
    Quote Originally Posted by "b_sandhar_29" #1097849
    my only concern is he's never played a bowl game so we don't know how he would handle a situation like that. Hopefully its not like Donovan McNabb who could lead his team to the NFC championship game every year but couldn't win it all. I don't know how this guy will do in clutch but hopefully it all pans out.

Other then that, I have no issues with his injuries, arm strength, or height. I think he can be an elite quarterback and a lot of players from FSU thought he was one of the best athletes on the team. Now that's saying something from a school based purely on athleticism. I think he most definitely compares to Drew Brees in terms of the way they play.
    But he was the MVP of the senior bowl. While that isn't the same as a BCS game. He stood out among his peers in one of the biggest 'auditions' of his life. To me that says the kid is a gamer!
    yeah, but not nearly the pressure as a bowl game.

if your team loses the senior bowl, really, nobody cares.

If your team loses the rose bowl, people care.
    While people might care, how much does that single game mean to the success of the QB who played in it?

Not much.

For example,

Past Rose Bowl Player of the Game Award winning QB's (past 25 years);

Andy Dalton
    Terrelle Pryor
    John David Booty
    Vince Young
    Nate Hybl
    Ken Dorsey
    Marques Tuiasosopo
    Brian Griese
    Joe Germaine
    Danny O'Neil
    Brent Moss
    Billy Joe Hobert
    Mark Brunell
    Jeff Van Raaphorst

Not exactly a list of success stories
    There is a bit more to the senior bowl than just the game, these guys are brought in and are working with NFL coaches, not the systems and players that they me have been used to over the last 4 (or 5 if redshirted) years for a BCS bowl game. There ability to adjust and transition in these practises and this game in front of these coaches and scouts is the real test that is going on more than the final score.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

my only concern is he's never played a bowl game so we don't know how he would handle a situation like that. Hopefully its not like Donovan McNabb who could lead his team to the NFC championship game every year but couldn't win it all. I don't know how this guy will do in clutch but hopefully it all pans out.

Other then that, I have no issues with his injuries, arm strength, or height. I think he can be an elite quarterback and a lot of players from FSU thought he was one of the best athletes on the team. Now that's saying something from a school based purely on athleticism. I think he most definitely compares to Drew Brees in terms of the way they play.
    But he was the MVP of the senior bowl. While that isn't the same as a BCS game. He stood out among his peers in one of the biggest 'auditions' of his life. To me that says the kid is a gamer!

While people might care, how much does that single game mean to the success of the QB who played in it?

Not much.

For example,

Andy Dalton
    Terrelle Pryor
    John David Booty
    Vince Young
    Nate Hybl
    Ken Dorsey
    Marques Tuiasosopo
    Brian Griese
    Joe Germaine
    Danny O'Neil
    Brent Moss
    Billy Joe Hobert
    Mark Brunell
    Jeff Van Raaphorst

Also very true.

Winning the Rose Bowl does not make you an NFL QB, neither does having a good Senior Bowl. Neither does three BCS championships, nor does setting the career passing yards record. Some guys have it, some guys don't. We can speculate all we want, and reason all we want, but in the end, we're going to have to wait 4 years to see if this kid is actually going to be a star in the league, just an average QB or a complete bust.

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1097954

Not much.

For example,

Andy Dalton
    Terrelle Pryor
    John David Booty
    Vince Young
    Nate Hybl
    Ken Dorsey
    Marques Tuiasosopo
    Brian Griese
    Joe Germaine
    Danny O'Neil
    Brent Moss
    Billy Joe Hobert
    Mark Brunell
    Jeff Van Raaphorst

Also very true.

Winning the Rose Bowl does not make you an NFL QB, neither does having a good Senior Bowl. Neither does three BCS championships, nor does setting the career passing yards record. Some guys have it, some guys don't. We can speculate all we want, and reason all we want, but in the end, we're going to have to wait 4 years to see if this kid is actually going to be a star in the league, just an average QB or a complete bust.
    Well said.....

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1097944

Not necessarily.......

Ponder was another big winner, but primarily because the other five quarterbacks in the game were just that bad. He can also thank Miami wide receiver Leonard Hankerson for most of his success, as Hankerson caught five balls for 99 yards and a touchdown. His draft stock definitely improved.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/589576-senior-bowl-2011-live-blog-stats-reaction-analysis-from-the-senior-bowl/entry/45107-senior-bowl-winners-and-losers-from-the-2011-senior-bowl
    Agreed but they had to compete to see who would get the playing time, and they had to learn a new system, and adjust to new receivers right? And someone had to throw those balls to Hankerson........

All I am saying is the kid maximized his opportunity and put a good foot forward. I agree with your and IBP's assessment that one bowl game does not determine the success of a young QB. I guess I am just pulling some things from it that lead me to be optomistic about his chances as we go forward.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Basically, he was asked to throw the ball about one-third less than the previous year, yet his touchdown total increased. Such numbers would tend to suggest that Ponder had become a more efficient passer his senior year. Here are some more: for the year, Ponder had 16 TDs to 1 int in the red zone, and of his 45 third-down attempts, 41 resulted in either a first down or a touchdown
    Let Peterson do the hard work and that might be enough.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123