Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Must Read Analyst of Ponder... Best I've Read

Quote Originally Posted by "slavinator" #1097889
    Quote Originally Posted by "b_sandhar_29" #1097849
    my only concern is he's never played a bowl game so we don't know how he would handle a situation like that. Hopefully its not like Donovan McNabb who could lead his team to the NFC championship game every year but couldn't win it all. I don't know how this guy will do in clutch but hopefully it all pans out.

Other then that, I have no issues with his injuries, arm strength, or height. I think he can be an elite quarterback and a lot of players from FSU thought he was one of the best athletes on the team. Now that's saying something from a school based purely on athleticism. I think he most definitely compares to Drew Brees in terms of the way they play.
    But he was the MVP of the senior bowl. While that isn't the same as a BCS game. He stood out among his peers in one of the biggest 'auditions' of his life. To me that says the kid is a gamer!
    yeah, but not nearly the pressure as a bowl game.

if your team loses the senior bowl, really, nobody cares.

If your team loses the rose bowl, people care.

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1097890
    my only concern is he's never played a bowl game so we don't know how he would handle a situation like that. Hopefully its not like Donovan McNabb who could lead his team to the NFC championship game every year but couldn't win it all. I don't know how this guy will do in clutch but hopefully it all pans out.

Other then that, I have no issues with his injuries, arm strength, or height. I think he can be an elite quarterback and a lot of players from FSU thought he was one of the best athletes on the team. Now that's saying something from a school based purely on athleticism. I think he most definitely compares to Drew Brees in terms of the way they play.
    But he was the MVP of the senior bowl. While that isn't the same as a BCS game. He stood out among his peers in one of the biggest 'auditions' of his life. To me that says the kid is a gamer!

Totally agree, I am just saying that in the Senior Bowl setting where all the QB's were trying to shine, he stood out the most. It does count for something, but not like a true bowl game.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "slavinator" #1097904

Totally agree, I am just saying that in the Senior Bowl setting where all the QB's were trying to shine, he stood out the most. It does count for something, but not like a true bowl game.
    Yes, I get that. but the Pressure is off, it doesn't translate to doing well when it matters.

For example, I ran track in HS, I wasn't great at it, but I was naturally fast, so I did decent. However, I'm not at my best in a race. stick me on the football field with a ball and 11 guys trying to tackle me, and there were very few people who could chase me down. In those situations, where I'm being tracked down, I'm at my best, not in a race where there's nothing pressuring me to go faster.

My point is, in the Senior Bowl, it's very likely someone looks great, or below average, but on Sunday plays the opposite.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1097908

Yes, I get that. but the Pressure is off, it doesn't translate to doing well when it matters.

For example, I ran track in HS, I wasn't great at it, but I was naturally fast, so I did decent. However, I'm not at my best in a race. stick me on the football field with a ball and 11 guys trying to tackle me, and there were very few people who could chase me down. In those situations, where I'm being tracked down, I'm at my best, not in a race where there's nothing pressuring me to go faster.

My point is, in the Senior Bowl, it's very likely someone looks great, or below average, but on Sunday plays the opposite.
    Isn't the senior bowl his most important job interview along side the combine? A lot of teams put a lot of stock into those two events. I think there is huge pressure in the senior bowl.
    We're bringing purple back.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "gregair13" #1097910

Isn't the senior bowl his most important job interview along side the combine? A lot of teams put a lot of stock into those two events. I think there is huge pressure in the senior bowl.
    Yes and no. Yes, it's like an interview, but players still get taken high if they don't play great, or at all in the senior bowl. Just like an interview, maybe you're not the greatest at interviews, but you are a hell of an employee.

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1097914

Yes and no. Yes, it's like an interview, but players still get taken high if they don't play great, or at all in the senior bowl. Just like an interview, maybe you're not the greatest at interviews, but you are a hell of an employee.
    The best way to think about it is the senior bowl is a way to raise your draft position and the combine is a way to make yourself money by moving up.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "gregair13" #1097919

The best way to think about it is the senior bowl is a way to raise your draft position and the combine is a way to make yourself money by moving up.
    Senior bowl is a way for guys on the edge to move up. A guy like Ponder helped himself an awful lot with a good Senior Bowl.

A guy like Newton was going high, no matter what he did in the pro day, Senior Bowl or Combine.

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1097921
    Quote Originally Posted by "gregair13" #1097919

Senior bowl is a way for guys on the edge to move up. A guy like Ponder helped himself an awful lot with a good Senior Bowl.

A guy like Newton was going high, no matter what he did in the pro day, Senior Bowl or Combine.
    That's pretty much what I said. If your stock cannot go up anymore no need to go to combine, senior bowl.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Not necessarily.......

Ponder was another big winner, but primarily because the other five quarterbacks in the game were just that bad. He can also thank Miami wide receiver Leonard Hankerson for most of his success, as Hankerson caught five balls for 99 yards and a touchdown. His draft stock definitely improved.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/589576-senior-bowl-2011-live-blog-stats-reaction-analysis-from-the-senior-bowl/entry/45107-senior-bowl-winners-and-losers-from-the-2011-senior-bowl

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

While people might care, how much does that single game mean to the success of the QB who played in it?

Not much.

For example,

Past Rose Bowl Player of the Game Award winning QB's (past 25 years);

Andy Dalton
    Terrelle Pryor
    John David Booty
    Vince Young
    Nate Hybl
    Ken Dorsey
    Marques Tuiasosopo
    Brian Griese
    Joe Germaine