Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Musgrave tailoring offense to players

I don't know about you all, but seams to me that every coach does this to some extent. Look, if a lineman is having trouble with a speed rushing type, they will shift protection/chip with a back to assist. You draft/acquire talent that fits your overall philosophy and then adjust to the talent that is available and healthy that comprises your roster. No big story here IMHO.
    I bet you could use a cool one huh Clark...Now you're talkin Eddie...

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "battleaxe4cheese" #1106845
    I don't know about you all, but seams to me that every coach does this to some extent. Look, if a lineman is having trouble with a speed rushing type, they will shift protection/chip with a back to assist. You draft/acquire talent that fits your overall philosophy and then adjust to the talent that is available and healthy that comprises your roster. No big story here IMHO.
    It is after dealing with Childress for 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1106847
    Ya, but the KAO tailors itself to nobody.
    I bet you could use a cool one huh Clark...Now you're talkin Eddie...

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "battleaxe4cheese" #1106854
    Point well taken lol.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

The KAO was DOA

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1106701
    Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1106698
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1106697
    I don't care what most of you think.......I still say this is nothing more than a guy trying to cover up player/personel moves that didn't work out.

Again, you bring in players that fit your scheme. That way you have a better shot at making sure you have the right talent on the field that can run the scheme.

You don't bring in players and then figure out what scheme you can run. You'll never get the right mix that way and will never have the right guys to run any kindof scheme.
    What you are forgetting is that they aren't bringing in entire teams that fit the scheme they want to run.

The team is already in place when they arrive & there are many talented players on the roster already. The trick is to tailor the scheme to best utilize their best assets, not to try and take talented players & turn them into mediocre players that fit your scheme like Childress tried to do.

You can always bring in the few pieces you need to compliment your scheme, which is what the draft & FA provides.

What you are suggesting is to basically gut an entire team leaving the handful of players that fit the coaches scheme & then go out & get a shitload of replacements.
    Nope, what I'm suggesting is that they really haven't changed anything. Go back to 2008 and watch our offensive sets.

Sure we weren't running as many 13 sets as we saw against Dallas this weekend but they were there. My guess, when the season hits, the ratio will come down a bit from what we saw against Dallas and will be closer to what we saw in 2008.

In the end this is just drivel being spewed forth by the organization to make the fans feel all warm and fuzzy so that tickets will get bought but in the end, if anyone really wants to look at it with open eyes, its pretty much the same approach with one exception......

Our QB loves to check down to backs alot.
    So what your suggesting (stating) is that the Vikings are still running the KOA?

BTW, a 13 set means nothing to me, nor does a 4, 5 or any other set #. You'll have to be more casual with your terminology.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1106917
    I don't care what most of you think.......I still say this is nothing more than a guy trying to cover up player/personel moves that didn't work out.

Again, you bring in players that fit your scheme. That way you have a better shot at making sure you have the right talent on the field that can run the scheme.

You don't bring in players and then figure out what scheme you can run. You'll never get the right mix that way and will never have the right guys to run any kindof scheme.
    What you are forgetting is that they aren't bringing in entire teams that fit the scheme they want to run.

The team is already in place when they arrive & there are many talented players on the roster already. The trick is to tailor the scheme to best utilize their best assets, not to try and take talented players & turn them into mediocre players that fit your scheme like Childress tried to do.

You can always bring in the few pieces you need to compliment your scheme, which is what the draft & FA provides.

What you are suggesting is to basically gut an entire team leaving the handful of players that fit the coaches scheme & then go out & get a shitload of replacements.
    Nope, what I'm suggesting is that they really haven't changed anything. Go back to 2008 and watch our offensive sets.

Sure we weren't running as many 13 sets as we saw against Dallas this weekend but they were there. My guess, when the season hits, the ratio will come down a bit from what we saw against Dallas and will be closer to what we saw in 2008.

In the end this is just drivel being spewed forth by the organization to make the fans feel all warm and fuzzy so that tickets will get bought but in the end, if anyone really wants to look at it with open eyes, its pretty much the same approach with one exception......

So what your suggesting (stating) is that the Vikings are still running the KOA?
    Atleast a version that is pretty damn close. What is different is

a.) He uses numbers vice colors - I could hear he colors but so far can't hear McNabb's use of the numbers. You guys in the seats need to be a bit more quite when the offense is on the field or Dnabb needs to get a bit louder.....

b.) It appears to me that he will pass more than run. Again, that assumption is based on a very limited view of what he does so far.

c.) Seems to me that he has alot more shifts/people in motion at any given time. We might see alot of penalties on that at first as the players get used to moving and getting reset. Key note here is that it hasn't been a problem so far.

But yes, the plays all seem to be the same to include alot of ZB'ng, which Mayock pointed out.

BTW, a 13 set means nothing to me, nor does a 4, 5 or any other set #. You'll have to be more casual with your terminology.
    My bad....I included it in several post already.

13 Set....First number is how many backs. Second number is how man TE's.

Not gonna type out the route tree but I will quote one for ya. From one of the "High School Coaching Sites" I like.

1 - Quick Out. . You run up the field about 5 yards, and then make a sharp cut out towards the sideline.

2 - Slant Route. Take 3 long steps forward then slant at a 45 degrees angled towards the center of the field. This is a timing route, so you will need to work with the quarterback to get the timing down.

3 - Deep Out. You run up the field about 10 yards, and then make a sharp cut out towards the sideline. This is the same pattern as the quick out except deeper.

4 - In/Drag Route. You run up the field and then cut in toward the center of the field at a sharp angle.

5 - Flag Route. You run up the field about 12-15 yards, and then break towards the flag in the back of the end zone.

6 - Curl Route. You run up the field about 12-15 yards, and then curl in towards the quarterback, at a 45 degrees angled. Find the open area of the field if they are playing a zone defense.

7 - Post/Corner. Fake a deep Post, and then run towards the flag in the back of the end zone.

8 - Post Route. You run up the field about 15 yards, and then break at a 45 degrees angled towards the deep middle of the field. This is the same pattern as the slant except deeper.

9 - Go/Streak/Fly Route. You will be running a straight sprint route off the line of scrimmage, as hard and as fast as you can.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1106912
    The KAO was DOA
    The KAO kicked-ass once the correct QB was found to execute it. Can't deny that.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1106840

And it isn't much different than Tice did when he took over except the bombs to Moss because we don't have him and it isn't all that different than what Green did with the team when he was hired.
    Bingo.......I mentioned it in a thread this offseason but couldn't find it.

Now that I know who you are, I'm sure you can go pull it up again.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

An excellent post my friend.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast