Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19
  1. #11
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    I know, its hard to believe, but I'm actually warming to ole Musgrove. Not enough to use his actual name yet, but getting there.

    On a side note...


    I still marvel that there are some yutz's over on the FB page who still contend the Noodle just took over the offense with no help from the coaches........LOL.
    I still marvel that some Yutz's said for a long time that it was the players fault when things didn't go right and that the coaches couldn't go out there and execute while some of us spoke about how the coaches needed to put the players in a position to be successful.

  2. #12
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post

    In my pea brain
    +1

    Agreed!


    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  3. #13
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Run Right, Run Left, Try an occasional pass. Brilliant. The team is doing better but I am really not seeing anything that I would consider creative or outside the box by any stretch. Using Peterson is a no brainer but other than that I really don't see a lot of innovation to the offense.

    We had a few decent passing plays because we did it so infrequently they pretty much abandoned coverage on defense.
    Wright lining up as a fullback and catching a TD pass out of that formation
    Felton lining up as a receiver and atching a 17 yard pass
    Runs that feint up the middle and then bump out to one of the sides

    It also isn't run right, run left, occasional pass. The offense IS run heavy, as it should be, but your oversimplification of it is no different that saying the Patriots aren't creative because all they do is pass short, pass long, occasional run.

    Yes, we have AD, and that is obviously a huge thing. But just because you have the best player at that position doesn't mean you can't screw it up. The Lions have Megatron, and were second in the league in passing and third in the league in total offense. However they were 17th in scoring and 28th in wins.

    I think Musgrave has been doing a very good job with the offense these last four games, averaging nearly 30 points a game. Some of the creative flares may be subtle, but obviously they are working.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  4. #14
    purplehelmut's Avatar
    purplehelmut is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Central WV
    Posts
    463
    Not sure where all the warm and fuzzies for Musgrave are coming from. He's been average at best. There has been improvement the last few games, but there was certainly room for it. Vikings still do not take advantage of play action enough in my estimation. We got by last week despite the offense, not because of it (excepting Peterson of course and the run blocking). The personal foul on GB on the third down stop led to a critical TD. The third down conversion to Simpson was a blown coverage that anybody should have taken advantage of. 50 yard field goals won't be available at Lambeau. We'll need to step it up significantly to win Saturday.

  5. #15
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266
    To call plays for run-first Vikings' offense, creativity is important for coordinator Musgrave

    Read more: To call plays for run-first Vikings' offense, creativity is important for coordinator Musgrave | Fox News

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  6. #16
    TheAnimal93 is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,308
    I said at the beginning of the season that the team will only go as far as the Coaching Staff will take them. I think it was Musgrave who was lost after Harvin went down, not Ponder. lol. Not saying Ponder wasn't stinking up the joint for a bit but he has turned it around after the GB loss. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Musgrave had to have a hand in it. Sometimes Musgrave overdoes it, with the same negative plays called. and some of the "trick" plays fools no one. I guess you'll have that.
    SKOL! Go Vikings!

  7. #17
    Caine's Avatar
    Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,139
    I am not thrilled with Musgrave, but that's primarily due to my being less than thrilled with his boss.

    He did the best he could - likely - with what he had. Not sure anyone else would have done any better. Fact is, we need better pieces for him to work with.

    Caine

  8. #18
    smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    884
    It took Musgrave most of the season to figure out Ponder's strengths and weaknesses, then call the plays with the best chance for success.
    Musgrave is said to be very bright, therefore it should be no surprise when common sense eludes him.
    Common sense dictates handing the ball to Peterson and running Webb with run options, not throwing the ball. Even if he thought Webb might miraculously develop passing accuracy it should have been apparent it wasn't going to happen after the first pass or two.

    Common sense says the probabilty of being successful with Webb throwing was far less than with Adrian running.

    Webb gets an F for this game. So does Musgrave.

  9. #19
    marshallvike's Avatar
    marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Posts
    2,471
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    I am not thrilled with Musgrave, but that's primarily due to my being less than thrilled with his boss.

    He did the best he could - likely - with what he had. Not sure anyone else would have done any better. Fact is, we need better pieces for him to work with.

    Caine
    Caine, I was with you on Frazier at the beginning of the season, but he took this team a lot further than any of us thought we could possibly go. I think I have jumped to the other side of the fence on this one.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •