Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Musgrave Says Team Will Tailor Offense To Fit Play

Musgrave Says Team Will Tailor Offense To Fit Players

LOL, now I know why he's failed every place hes been an O-coord.

He uses the old "Hey, just get me some players and I'll see if they work" approach instead of the "Draft me players that fit the scheme" approach that most of the known football world uses.

WOW.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Musgrave Says Team Will Tailor Offense To Fit Play

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1103095

WOW.
    yeah, big wow here.

Do you really think an Offensive coordinator can completely overhaul the offense in a single offseason where they are 5 mil over the cap?

He probably has a vision of what he wants to eventually have our O look like, but for now, he needs to work with what he's got. That's like saying we're going to run a deep passing attack if all we had is Jenkins, Aromashodu, Camarillo, Shank and a weak armed Ponder. No, you modify the scheme until you get the players you think you need to do what you want.

Seriously, you've been quite quick on the trigger the past little while. Take a step back and think about it for a second.

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1103099

WOW.
    yeah, big wow here.

Do you really think an Offensive coordinator can completely overhaul the offense in a single offseason where they are 5 mil over the cap?

He probably has a vision of what he wants to eventually have our O look like, but for now, he needs to work with what he's got. That's like saying we're going to run a deep passing attack if all we had is Jenkins, Aromashodu, Camarillo, Shank and a weak armed Ponder. No, you modify the scheme until you get the players you think you need to do what you want.

Seriously, you've been quite quick on the trigger the past little while. Take a step back and think about it for a second.
    Trust me, I've thought long and hard about it.

In short, I can see your point if we are talking about left over players, but they are still bringing in players that he doesn't know how to use.

How do you explain those?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

He uses the old "Hey, just get me some players and I'll see if they work" approach instead of the "Draft me players that fit the scheme" approach that most of the known football world uses.

WOW.
    lets see other than potentially changing 50% of the roster then it is a case of tailoring the offense to to fit players. The majority of the players aren't elite in their area so to me it makes sense to make the use of their strengths, especially for a first year OC in Minny.
    Perhaps you'd rather go for the tried and trusted Childress method of 'lets draft a player that I think will fit the scheme and stick with him doggedly when its clear it isn't working.. after all the scheme can't be wrong' :laugh:
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1103101

WOW.
    yeah, big wow here.

In short, I can see your point if we are talking about left over players, but they are still bringing in players that he doesn't know how to use.

Explain them?

Musgrave came from Atlanta. Jenkins came from Atlanta. There's evidently some reason Jenkins is here, I suspect Musgrave said "Hey, I know this guy, he'll be helpful as he knows most of the scheme, can catch on quickly and can help out in the huddle at practice for the young guys still learning it"

Who else did we get? Brought in Rudolph. Big pass-catching TE who can block too.. Seems the Falcons brought in a guy with exactly that same skillset (although, an all-time great, but still). Brought in Cook - knows the guys, knows the coaches, comes cheap. Aromashodu - again, what's to say he doesn't fit in Musgrave's end-vision of this offense?

He's simply saying he's going to tailor it to our strengths. That seems like a smart way to go, as the Childress method simply did not work.

Quote Originally Posted by "AngloVike" #1103103

WOW.
    lets see other than potentially changing 50% of the roster then it is a case of tailoring the offense to to fit players. The majority of the players aren't elite in their area so to me it makes sense to make the use of their strengths, especially for a first year OC in Minny.
    Perhaps you'd rather go for the tried and trusted Childress method of 'lets draft a player that I think will fit the scheme and stick with him doggedly when its clear it isn't working.. after all the scheme can't be wrong' :laugh:
    Examples please.....

TJ? Guess what, he's in the same system.

Tell the truth, the only player that I can think of that the Chiller stuck with that didn't fit the system were Sharp and Birk and my guess is he stuck with them because either they didn't have a replacement or Bryzcheapski said it would cost to much to let them go (or a bit of both).

Nope, we aren't talking about the Chiller here. Were talking about the cat who says we are going to do one thing, then says, nope we are going to do another, then comes out and even says nope to that.

In the end I hope I'm wrong on this guy but right now he's really not giving me much to grab ahold of.

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1103105

WOW.
    yeah, big wow here.

Explain them?

Musgrave came from Atlanta. Jenkins came from Atlanta. There's evidently some reason Jenkins is here, I suspect Musgrave said "Hey, I know this guy, he'll be helpful as he knows most of the scheme, can catch on quickly and can help out in the huddle at practice for the young guys still learning it"

Who else did we get? Brought in Rudolph. Big pass-catching TE who can block too.. Seems the Falcons brought in a guy with exactly that same skillset (although, an all-time great, but still). Brought in Cook - knows the guys, knows the coaches, comes cheap. Aromashodu - again, what's to say he doesn't fit in Musgrave's end-vision of this offense?

He's simply saying he's going to tailor it to our strengths. That seems like a smart way to go, as the Childress method simply did not work.
    Yea, lets not hope that we don't have guys brought in like Chad, PH, AD, Rice, etc.

Instead we get a couple of WR's who couldn't make it on the Bores WR corps for cripes sake.

As to the rookies, I bet Spielman and Studwell had a bit more to do with that than Musgrove at this point. Hell the cat can't even figure out what blocking scheme he wants to run.

His answer, we will run something that fits the players. :sick:

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

"Ahhh, you must have balance Grasshopper..."

Its the extremes that don't work. You can't pound a square peg into a round hole, and you can't tailor fit an offense around turds or you'll just have a toilet bowl.

Guys with the talent level of Harvin and Peterson fit any scheme as long as you can get the dam ball in their hands and let them do their thing. Joe Webb has some skills, why not find a way to get him on the field too? Obviously, its way too early to tell, but I'm liking what I've heard about the new offense so far.

I'm just happy we'll finally be seeing some new things on offense instead of the same old eyes-closed-head-down thumping into a wall we've seen 4 of the past 5!! inch:
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1103107
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1103105

WOW.
    yeah, big wow here.

Explain them?

Yea, lets not hope that we don't have guys brought in like Chad, PH, AD, Rice, etc.
    Sorry, must have missed something, does Musgrave run the defense?

Plus, Childress brought in (Wait, I thought it was the VP of PP's job to do the drafting...) PH, AD and Rice. Rice is gone and never really did much until a certain HOF QB was throwing to him. PH is a good addition, but he's the type of player that can be used in quite alot of schemes. same with AD.

But no, the Childress method is having your O set, then forcing it on a set of player until they get it, rather than adjusting and adapting to try and make it work NOW.
    Instead we get a couple of WR's who couldn't make it on the Bores WR corps for cripes sake.
    So is Rice a WR who couldn't make it on the Vikings WR corps?
    As to the rookies, I bet Spielman and Studwell had a bit more to do with that than Musgrove at this point. Hell the cat can't even figure out what blocking scheme he wants to run.
    Or, he hasn't told YOU what he's going to run.

I don't know about you, but personally I'm not a fan of our OC announcing to the world what he plans on doing. We'll find out in due time. until then, sit tight and talk about Favre with me.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

WOW.
    As a first year offensive coordinator, what else would you expect? He hasn't had the benefit of three seasons to bring in "his" guys, not to mention the salary cap issue.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast