Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

Musgrave could be moving closer to termination in Minnesota

Musgrave could be moving closer to termination in Minnesota

This isnít a report that Musgrave will be fired. Instead, itís a recognition that, with the bye week looming and a collapse unfolding and the passing game thatís putrid (especially with Adrian Peterson drawing safeties into the box), a decision to keep Musgrave could make it harder for head coach Leslie Frazier to keep his job when the season ends.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    This would be fine if Musgrave were the only problem, but the head coach can't recognize, nor admit, his quarterback is inept.
    Keeping Frazier and Ponder after a scapegoat firing of Musgrave will only lead to ongoing seasons of endless waste of talent.
    Musgrave certainly needs to go, but the only fix I see is Frazier and Ponder going with him.
    The Vikings are rebuilding with a faulty foundation. Time to cease construction and shore up the foundation.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I've been willing to give Musgrave a chance, despite the protestations of some here, however there is one thing that annoys the crap out of me after yesterday. The fact that Musgrave was schooled in offensive playcalling and scheming by the very man who was chased out of town and replaced by Musgrave.
    Ironic ain't it?
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    I have struggled to figure out if Musgraves offensive scheme is limited by Ponder's inability to deliver the intermediate to long pass, or whether Musgrave is handcuffing Ponder and turning him into check down Charlie in an attempt to build confidence and limit turnovers as a game manager.
    Who is limiting who?
    As the Vikings slip back into last place I would like to see Ponder allowed more leeway to risk interceptions by going downfield more aggressively. Smallball doesn't seem to be limiting his interceptions anyway.
    I would like to see if he really can make all the throws. It's not likely we are play off bound at this point.

ConnecticutViking is offline Pro-Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    I have struggled to figure out if Musgraves offensive scheme is limited by Ponder's inability to deliver the intermediate to long pass, or whether Musgrave is handcuffing Ponder and turning him into check down Charlie in an attempt to build confidence and limit turnovers as a game manager.
    Who is limiting who?
    As the Vikings slip back into last place I would like to see Ponder allowed more leeway to risk interceptions by going downfield more aggressively. Smallball doesn't seem to be limiting his interceptions anyway.
    I would like to see if he really can make all the throws. It's not likely we are play off bound at this point.
    I agree 100%! Is it Ponders shortcommings? The O-Line? Not sure what the problem is. I just know, we are unable to capitalize on the blitz, there must be people open and there must be hot reads that Ponder is unable to capitalize on.

purplehelmut is offline Pro-Bowler
    I Googled Musgrave and his credentials do not look that good. He was let go twice from OC jobs. Must be a great butt kisser....

LIVike is offline Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    Who is limiting who?
    When Musgrave was in Atlanta wasn't Matt Ryan always criticized for throwing the checkdown? I am not saying none of it is on Ponder but our OC has a history of having QB's that consistently throw the checkdown.
    None

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by purplehelmut View Post
    I Googled Musgrave and his credentials do not look that good. He was let go twice from OC jobs. Must be a great butt kisser....
    In 1999, Musgrave left to be the quarterbacks coach under George Seifert with the Carolina Panthers.....Upon Haskell's departure to Seattle, Musgrave was promoted to offensive coordinator in 2000.

.....doing gameplanning, and helping call plays was a major plus for Musgrave, and a reason the team chose him to replace Haskell, who had been a holdover from a previous staff. However, as an inexperienced coordinator, Musgrave had faltered at times, been criticized in the media for choices in playcalling, and was at one point rumored to have been yelled at by Seifert in front of the team. Musgrave resigned from the position after four games.

Musgrave accepted the position of offensive coordinator under Al Groh at the University of Virginia in 2001-2002, tutoring Matt Schaub to school records. Musgrave left to be the offensive coordinator for the Jacksonville Jaguars (2003Ė04), and was released from that position. Since, Musgrave has held the quarterbacks coach position for the Washington Redskins (2005) and Atlanta Falcons (2006Ė2009).

In 2010, Bill Musgrave was promoted to Assistant Head Coach/Quarterbacks coach of the Atlanta Falcons.

In January 2011, Musgrave was hired by the Minnesota Vikings to the position of offensive coordinator.

Bill Musgrave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not a good resume at all. Worse than I had thought.
    Last edited by singersp; 11-06-2012 at 05:01 AM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Until any single one of you can tell me EXACTLY what play was called on any single play, what defense was called on that same play, what offensive line adjustments were made at the line of scrimmage, what blocks were made or missed, what routes were run with any on the run adjustments and who did or did not make a good play on either side of the ball, then I say SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT THE PLAYCALLING BECAUSE YOU DON'T KNOW A GODDAMN THING.

Thanks for playing,
    =Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Until any single one of you can tell me EXACTLY what play was called on any single play, what defense was called on that same play, what offensive line adjustments were made at the line of scrimmage, what blocks were made or missed, what routes were run with any on the run adjustments and who did or did not make a good play on either side of the ball, then I say SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT THE PLAYCALLING BECAUSE YOU DON'T KNOW A GODDAMN THING.

Thanks for playing,
    =Z=

Just as a discussion point- irregardless of what particular play is called, is it not the OC's responsibility to have the players understand and execute said play? If so, then I would say that under 70 passing yards in 2 recent games would say all there is about what kind of job he is doing.

Yes, the team is young but so is Indy, TB, Seattle and Washington and they all beat us and were able to complete a pass down the field. So maybe step down from your soapbox and don't let the door hit your ass on the way out the door.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast