Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    jargomcfargo's Avatar
    jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    4,776

    Musgrave builds an offense, just needs players

    http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/123508479.html


    "We'll major in giving the ball to Adrian, and we'll need a quarterback that can keep defenses honest and can have a little bit of movement to himself," said Musgrave, who was a backup quarterback with Dallas, San Francisco and Denver. "Not just be a statue back there because with the pieces that are in place we won't be just a drop-back, stay-in-the-pocket type team. We're going to really attack the defense on the edges both with Adrian and also our quarterback."
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

  2. #2
    TeamSoftware is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    70

    Re: Musgrave builds an offense, just needs players

    This quote does it for me...

    "... It was definitely a process because each of the coaches on the staff had input. We worked with the staff, whether it be with the playbook or in-game planning. We spend hours and hours together bouncing ideas off one another and making sure that we leave no stone unturned collectively."

    No more predictable I know everything so it is my way offensive offense. Hopefully (gotta take it with a grain of salt).

    --Scott

  3. #3
    seaniemck7's Avatar
    seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    1,453

    Re: Musgrave builds an offense, just needs players

    Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1098574
    http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/123508479.html


    "We'll major in giving the ball to Adrian, and we'll need a quarterback that can keep defenses honest and can have a little bit of movement to himself," said Musgrave, who was a backup quarterback with Dallas, San Francisco and Denver. "Not just be a statue back there because with the pieces that are in place we won't be just a drop-back, stay-in-the-pocket type team. We're going to really attack the defense on the edges both with Adrian and also our quarterback."
    Homan, Marty is gonna eat that up like no one's business. It sounds like Musgrave has been drinking the Marrdro Kool-Aid here on PPO.

    The pieces in place are essentially the same as they were the past few years, sans QB. Is that a poke at the last regime maybe?

  4. #4
    AngloVike's Avatar
    AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Sandhurst, UK
    Posts
    6,768
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Musgrave builds an offense, just needs players

    Quote Originally Posted by "seaniemck7" #1098579
    The pieces in place are essentially the same as they were the past few years, sans QB. Is that a poke at the last regime maybe?
    not so much a poke as a large bitch slap to the previous regime. Then again the previous HC was that dim that he wouldn't recognise a poke at him - even if it was dancing naked on a table in front of him with a large sign saying "this is a poke at you baldy"...
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...


  5. #5
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,818

    Re: Musgrave builds an offense, just needs players

    Quote Originally Posted by "AngloVike" #1098581
    Quote Originally Posted by "seaniemck7" #1098579
    The pieces in place are essentially the same as they were the past few years, sans QB. Is that a poke at the last regime maybe?
    not so much a poke as a large bitch slap to the previous regime. Then again the previous HC was that dim that he wouldn't recognise a poke at him - even if it was dancing naked on a table in front of him with a large sign saying "this is a poke at you baldy"...
    I do like hearing how they are trying to fit players into their strengths. Having a balance between offensive philosophy and talent is a good thing, and definitely a weakness that Childress had.

    However, not to take too much away from your Childress bashing, but that one piece (QB) is a pretty big piece. Without a seasoned QB that can read defenses and throw consistently, the drop back passing approach isn't much good. The good pieces he does have (AD/Harvin/Shank) are going to need to be his workhorses while the QB matures. Sacrificing the QB's body in his early years should toughen him up pretty quick. Might as well do it while running vs. getting blind sided in the pocket.

    I doubt this is Musgrove's long term offensive philosophy, or at least hope not.

  6. #6
    Caine's Avatar
    Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,135

    Re: Musgrave builds an offense, just needs players

    Honestly, I read the same meaningless gibber that they give us every year.

    "we're going to major in Peterson"....really? Got anything less obvious?

    "We're going to find ways to get the ball to (fill in player here)"...again, predictable.

    "We're going to attack the edges"...another common buzz phrase...

    "We're going to use conventional and unconventional ways to..."

    This is the same stuff every coach says in almost every interview. This is the same stuff Chiller used to say, and Tice used to say, and Green used to say, and ...... get my point?

    In short, Musgrave isn't saying anything. Not really. He's just throwing out the same buzz words and catch phrases that they always do.

    As for his "we won't be just a drop-back, stay-in-the-pocket type team" comment, that's a rather obvious one. We don't have the line strength, the QB experience, nor the receiving talent to be that kind of team. And far from being a shot at Chiller, I see this as a statement of the obvious...but one that lets us know that Musgrave sees it too.

    ...ok, maybe it was a shot at Chiller...cuz he sure as hell didn't see it...

    Caine

  7. #7
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Musgrave builds an offense, just needs players

    Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1098586
    Honestly, I read the same meaningless gibber that they give us every year.

    "we're going to major in Peterson"....really? Got anything less obvious?

    "We're going to find ways to get the ball to (fill in player here)"...again, predictable.

    "We're going to attack the edges"...another common buzz phrase...

    "We're going to use conventional and unconventional ways to..."

    This is the same stuff every coach says in almost every interview. This is the same stuff Chiller used to say, and Tice used to say, and Green used to say, and ...... get my point?

    In short, Musgrave isn't saying anything. Not really. He's just throwing out the same buzz words and catch phrases that they always do.

    As for his "we won't be just a drop-back, stay-in-the-pocket type team" comment, that's a rather obvious one. We don't have the line strength, the QB experience, nor the receiving talent to be that kind of team. And far from being a shot at Chiller, I see this as a statement of the obvious...but one that lets us know that Musgrave sees it too.

    ...ok, maybe it was a shot at Chiller...cuz he sure as hell didn't see it...

    Caine
    Thank god he didn't mention an AP ratio. Some fans would flip a wig if that was mentioned.

  8. #8
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,218

    Re: Musgrave builds an offense, just needs players

    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1098612
    Thank god he didn't mention an AP ratio. Some fans would flip a wig if that was mentioned.
    I still have to laugh at those fans who flipped when Tice mentioned the "Randy Ratio" as if he gave up the teams secret game plan.

    There wasn't a team out there who didn't know we'd be throwing to Moss the majority of the time.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  9. #9
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re: Musgrave builds an offense, just needs players

    Quote Originally Posted by "seaniemck7" #1098579
    Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1098574
    http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/123508479.html


    "We'll major in giving the ball to Adrian, and we'll need a quarterback that can keep defenses honest and can have a little bit of movement to himself," said Musgrave, who was a backup quarterback with Dallas, San Francisco and Denver. "Not just be a statue back there because with the pieces that are in place we won't be just a drop-back, stay-in-the-pocket type team. We're going to really attack the defense on the edges both with Adrian and also our quarterback."
    Homan, Marty is gonna eat that up like no one's business. It sounds like Musgrave has been drinking the Marrdro Kool-Aid here on PPO.

    The pieces in place are essentially the same as they were the past few years, sans QB. Is that a poke at the last regime maybe?
    LOL, you crack me up my friend.

    Just to be clear, don't take my assesment of the offense as anything other than that. An assesment of what I thought they would run based on the stats/data I put into that thread which I found pretty easily on the web.

    What mystifies me is why people, especially the Pro Hacks, seem to be confused about what we will run.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  10. #10
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re: Musgrave builds an offense, just needs players

    Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1098586
    Honestly, I read the same meaningless gibber that they give us every year.

    "we're going to major in Peterson"....really? Got anything less obvious?

    "We're going to find ways to get the ball to (fill in player here)"...again, predictable.

    "We're going to attack the edges"...another common buzz phrase...

    "We're going to use conventional and unconventional ways to..."

    This is the same stuff every coach says in almost every interview. This is the same stuff Chiller used to say, and Tice used to say, and Green used to say, and ...... get my point?

    In short, Musgrave isn't saying anything. Not really. He's just throwing out the same buzz words and catch phrases that they always do.

    As for his "we won't be just a drop-back, stay-in-the-pocket type team" comment, that's a rather obvious one. We don't have the line strength, the QB experience, nor the receiving talent to be that kind of team. And far from being a shot at Chiller, I see this as a statement of the obvious...but one that lets us know that Musgrave sees it too.

    ...ok, maybe it was a shot at Chiller...cuz he sure as hell didn't see it...

    Caine
    Give it time, after about 3 or 4 games everyone will be saying how they could predict that we were going to run Off Left Center, Off Right Center, Off Left T etc etc etc.

    Seriously, you can watch just about any game and tell pretty much what they are going to run from one play to the next.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Similar Threads

  1. Musgrave tailoring offense to players
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 09-16-2011, 03:02 PM
  2. Musgrave Says Team Will Tailor Offense To Fit Play
    By Marrdro in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 08-06-2011, 12:56 PM
  3. Orange County Choppers Builds an EV. Seriously
    By Bkfldviking in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-16-2009, 05:11 PM
  4. Anticipation builds for Vikings' opener
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-03-2008, 07:27 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-20-2008, 04:10 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •