Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Minniman is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Multitalented group not receiving corps of old

Bernard Berrian was tied for 68th in the NFL with 48 catches last season.
    Berrian did have 964 yards (99 on one play), which was good enough for 24th in the NFL.
    He had 7 receiving TD's, which was a respectable 12th in the NFL for receivers.

Compare that to the stats of Greg Jennings and Donald Driver of the Packers, and it puts Berrian's stats into perspective.
    Even with the benefit of having eight men in the box to protect against AD, Berrian still had fewer catches and less yards than either Jennings or Driver.

Not having a great quarterback and a good offensive coordinator diminished the impact that Berrian could have made.
    It isn't a knock on Bernard Berrian.

Mike Tice had two chances to draft Aaron Rodgers, and he wasted the picks on Williamson and James.
    Childress had the opportunity to select Greg Jennings, but he reached for Ryan Cook.
    I would not say that Rodgers is great yet, but 4000 yards is nothing to dismiss.
    How much better off would the Vikings have been with Rodgers at the helm rather than Jackson or Frerotte?

The point is moot, because the Vikings will not have the services of Rodgers this season.
    The Vikings won't have Favre either.
    I certainly hope that either Tarvaris Jackson or Sage Rosenfels have a break out season, because no team can afford to have a weak link at quarterback.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"Minniman" wrote:
    Bernard Berrian was tied for 68th in the NFL with 48 catches last season.
    Berrian did have 964 yards (99 on one play), which was good enough for 24th in the NFL.
    He had 7 receiving TD's, which was a respectable 12th in the NFL for receivers.

Compare that to the stats of Greg Jennings and Donald Driver of the Packers, and it puts Berrian's stats into perspective.
    Even with the benefit of having eight men in the box to protect against AD, Berrian still had fewer catches and less yards than either Jennings or Driver.

Not having a great quarterback and a good offensive coordinator diminished the impact that Berrian could have made.
    It isn't a knock on Bernard Berrian.

Mike Tice had two chances to draft Aaron Rodgers, and he wasted the picks on Williamson and James.
    Childress had the opportunity to select Greg Jennings, but he reached for Ryan Cook.
    I would not say that Rodgers is great yet, but 4000 yards is nothing to dismiss.
    How much better off would the Vikings have been with Rodgers at the helm rather than Jackson or Frerotte?

The point is moot, because the Vikings will not have the services of Rodgers this season.
    The Vikings won't have Favre either.
    I certainly hope that either Tarvaris Jackson or Sage Rosenfels have a break out season, because no team can afford to have a weak link at quarterback.
    Keep in mind, when Tice was drafting that season we had zero perceived need at QB.
    We still believed Culpepper was a Pro-Bowl caliber QB.
    His weaknesses had not been exposed yet because we'd JUST traded Moss.
    Under those circumstances, drafting a QB would have sent the wrong message to Culpepper.

Now, in hindsight, it would have been a
    great pick...but we didn't know then what we know now.

Further, no one could have predicted that Williamson and James would both bust.
    I was especially shocked by James because I'd watched him in College and he was a beast.
    And I recall people being pissed because we passed on Mike Williams...

As for Cook/Jennings....who knew?
    We also missed out on Marques Colston, 201 picks later.
    But again, with the draft, who knew?
    It's a friggin crap shoot.

I'm not disagreeing with you about the state of our QB situation - it's horrible (so far).
    I'm just saying that the two scenarios you pointed out had reasons for working the way they did.

Heck, I'm still suprised we didn't trade up and grab Quinn after we got Peterson.

Caine

MVIKING7 is offline Pro-Bowler

"singersp" wrote:
    [size=13pt]Multitalented group not receiving corps of old[/size]

The 2009 Vikings appear to have wide receivers who possess many talents, with each player's skills complementing the others'.

By JUDD ZULGAD, Star Tribune

Last update: August 8, 2009 - 8:44 AM

Man am I glad I picked Percy on one of my fantasy teams. It looks like he "will" be utilized alot this year after all. This young man has ALOT of potential!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234