Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Much ado about Williamson

"Paulbedy59" wrote:
    Hey screw Boldin,I remember Sammy Whites rookie year.
    Heck...you are so ancient that you probably remember Sammy Baugh's rookie year
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

ThaSuperFreak33 is offline Pro-Bowler

Williamson will get there like said he is a rookie and needs some time on the field. I still like Mike Williams because of his size and think Culpepper would have had a good target in Williams but he is not a Viking so enough with that. I cant wait to see Koren Robinson get his chance to prove he still has game. I think he has all the potential to be the downfield deep threat alongside Williamson when he gets his first couple of games under his belt.

mvikes84 is offline Starter

"Caine" wrote:
    Everywhere I look, the NFL analysts are calling for "more from Williamson" or "more passes to Williamson". They DO realize he's a rookie, right?

Sure, he's got speed. Sure, he was drafted to stretch the field...like "that guy who used to be here but if I mention his name people will spaz". Sure, he was a 1st rounder and has great potential.

But...he's still a rookie.

Personally, I think that most of the Analysts don't know diddly squat about the Vikings. After all, with them spending so much time talking about T-Hoe and his "Whining the hearts and minds of Philadelphia", or "Brett Favre's tragic/Heroic Life", that doesn't leave them a lot of time to REALLY dig deep into the other possible contenders for the NFC Title this season.

But then, this shouldn't suprise anyone. Remember 4 years ago when New England came out nowhere to win the SB? Remember when they repeated 2 years later? It wasn't until the 3rd SB that the media got on the bandwagon (And Madden started dating Brady). Why? Because the media only goes to what's HOT...they call it "being current".

So, as much as I hope Williamson develops into an awesome receiver, I don't think that now is the time to test that. I think that NOW is the time to work with Burleson, Taylor, and M. Robinson...and to get Koren Robinson in there to add firepower. Plus, utilize Kleinsasser and Wiggins in double TE sets.

We all know we can't run yet. As much as everyone has their personal darling, no body on our roster has shown the ability -or, more importantly, the durability - to carry the rock the distance. Each one has flashes...but that's bound to happen over time. So, we may as well quit pretending we're going to be a running team this year. Maybe next year we'll grab someone in FA or in the draft who's a horse...but for now, we don't have it.

So, we have to use what we have....or what we can get. And that means, we PASS. And that brings us back to Williamson.

Troy, for all his build up, is still just a rookie. The ONLY rookie I can think of who ever "tore it up" his rookie year was...well....you know....THAT guy. Rice didn't, Owens didn't, Walker certainly didn't...just THAT guy did. And he's no longer here.

So, sure, bring Williamson in, let him get a taste of NFL speed and NFL contact. But don't drop the load on his shoulders. He's not ready for that, and we don't NEED that from him....yet. I'd rather groom him for what we want from him, and have him deliver next year or the year after, than rush him out there now and ruin his confidence. We do that, and it will be some other team who reaps the benefits of his ability after we cut him (Travis Taylor...ring a bell?).

So, enough with the Williamson hype. If he suddenly blossoms and tears it up, FANTASTIC. But don't expect it this season. This isn't the NCAA. The level of competition is MUCH higher. And Troy will need time to get his feet under him. I say we give it to him.

Caine
    I'll say his name for you. Randy Moss, THE BEST WIDE RECEIVER EVER!!!

mnvikes61 is offline Team Alumni

"mvikes84" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    Everywhere I look, the NFL analysts are calling for "more from Williamson" or "more passes to Williamson". They DO realize he's a rookie, right?

Sure, he's got speed. Sure, he was drafted to stretch the field...like "that guy who used to be here but if I mention his name people will spaz". Sure, he was a 1st rounder and has great potential.

But...he's still a rookie.

Personally, I think that most of the Analysts don't know diddly squat about the Vikings. After all, with them spending so much time talking about T-Hoe and his "Whining the hearts and minds of Philadelphia", or "Brett Favre's tragic/Heroic Life", that doesn't leave them a lot of time to REALLY dig deep into the other possible contenders for the NFC Title this season.

But then, this shouldn't suprise anyone. Remember 4 years ago when New England came out nowhere to win the SB? Remember when they repeated 2 years later? It wasn't until the 3rd SB that the media got on the bandwagon (And Madden started dating Brady). Why? Because the media only goes to what's HOT...they call it "being current".

So, as much as I hope Williamson develops into an awesome receiver, I don't think that now is the time to test that. I think that NOW is the time to work with Burleson, Taylor, and M. Robinson...and to get Koren Robinson in there to add firepower. Plus, utilize Kleinsasser and Wiggins in double TE sets.

We all know we can't run yet. As much as everyone has their personal darling, no body on our roster has shown the ability -or, more importantly, the durability - to carry the rock the distance. Each one has flashes...but that's bound to happen over time. So, we may as well quit pretending we're going to be a running team this year. Maybe next year we'll grab someone in FA or in the draft who's a horse...but for now, we don't have it.

So, we have to use what we have....or what we can get. And that means, we PASS. And that brings us back to Williamson.

Troy, for all his build up, is still just a rookie. The ONLY rookie I can think of who ever "tore it up" his rookie year was...well....you know....THAT guy. Rice didn't, Owens didn't, Walker certainly didn't...just THAT guy did. And he's no longer here.

So, sure, bring Williamson in, let him get a taste of NFL speed and NFL contact. But don't drop the load on his shoulders. He's not ready for that, and we don't NEED that from him....yet. I'd rather groom him for what we want from him, and have him deliver next year or the year after, than rush him out there now and ruin his confidence. We do that, and it will be some other team who reaps the benefits of his ability after we cut him (Travis Taylor...ring a bell?).

So, enough with the Williamson hype. If he suddenly blossoms and tears it up, FANTASTIC. But don't expect it this season. This isn't the NCAA. The level of competition is MUCH higher. And Troy will need time to get his feet under him. I say we give it to him.

Caine
    I'll say his name for you. Randy Moss, THE BEST WIDE RECEIVER EVER!!!
    yah the best wide reciever ever, with the crappest attitude ever.

Thanks Josdin

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "Paulbedy59" wrote:
    Hey screw Boldin,I remember Sammy Whites rookie year.
    Heck...you are so ancient that you probably remember Sammy Baugh's rookie year
    Cajun is so ancient, he remembers Ty Cobbs rookie year! :lol:

tampaviking is offline Rookie

maybe i am the only one who noticed this but moss had gotten pretty soft the past two years, with his sore back, and yes he still did make plays, but how often did he catch a pass and head for a sideline. don't get me wrong i know he will break every record there is, it just always seemed like at the end of the season he wasn't healthy enough to make randy moss plays. oh and i am tired of hearing about how great the bucs offense played yesterday. gruden loves a guy who can carry a ball 26 times for 75 yards, and bust one big one at the end. and williamson will get his, no worries.

welcome to the site tampaviking, introduce yourself and get a free beer at the "free beer forum".

Thanks Josdin

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

they say culpepper sucks cuz he had one bad game. so what. they dont say anything about manning sucking when he gets murdered by the pats D. and he has a great core of WR's so the media is just a bunch of losers.

smashmouth34 is offline Waterboy

Mike Williams doesnt start for detroit. He came of the bench and caught the clinching td. Did anyone else notice how huge he looked against Ahmad Carroll? I warned you people not to overlook the Lions they stopped Brett Favres 77 td game streak. That is eye opening.

Favre had no time to do anything and then he lost Javon Walker in the 2nd half. yah the Detroits D is pretty good, but they did it against the Packers :roll: c'mon, they lost both their guards and they're asking Favre to shoulder the load since their D isn't going to do jack.

Thanks Josdin

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast