Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Much ado about Williamson

Everywhere I look, the NFL analysts are calling for "more from Williamson" or "more passes to Williamson". They DO realize he's a rookie, right?

Sure, he's got speed. Sure, he was drafted to stretch the field...like "that guy who used to be here but if I mention his name people will spaz". Sure, he was a 1st rounder and has great potential.

But...he's still a rookie.

Personally, I think that most of the Analysts don't know diddly squat about the Vikings. After all, with them spending so much time talking about T-Hoe and his "Whining the hearts and minds of Philadelphia", or "Brett Favre's tragic/Heroic Life", that doesn't leave them a lot of time to REALLY dig deep into the other possible contenders for the NFC Title this season.

But then, this shouldn't suprise anyone. Remember 4 years ago when New England came out nowhere to win the SB? Remember when they repeated 2 years later? It wasn't until the 3rd SB that the media got on the bandwagon (And Madden started dating Brady). Why? Because the media only goes to what's HOT...they call it "being current".

So, as much as I hope Williamson develops into an awesome receiver, I don't think that now is the time to test that. I think that NOW is the time to work with Burleson, Taylor, and M. Robinson...and to get Koren Robinson in there to add firepower. Plus, utilize Kleinsasser and Wiggins in double TE sets.

We all know we can't run yet. As much as everyone has their personal darling, no body on our roster has shown the ability -or, more importantly, the durability - to carry the rock the distance. Each one has flashes...but that's bound to happen over time. So, we may as well quit pretending we're going to be a running team this year. Maybe next year we'll grab someone in FA or in the draft who's a horse...but for now, we don't have it.

So, we have to use what we have....or what we can get. And that means, we PASS. And that brings us back to Williamson.

Troy, for all his build up, is still just a rookie. The ONLY rookie I can think of who ever "tore it up" his rookie year was...well....you know....THAT guy. Rice didn't, Owens didn't, Walker certainly didn't...just THAT guy did. And he's no longer here.

So, sure, bring Williamson in, let him get a taste of NFL speed and NFL contact. But don't drop the load on his shoulders. He's not ready for that, and we don't NEED that from him....yet. I'd rather groom him for what we want from him, and have him deliver next year or the year after, than rush him out there now and ruin his confidence. We do that, and it will be some other team who reaps the benefits of his ability after we cut him (Travis Taylor...ring a bell?).

So, enough with the Williamson hype. If he suddenly blossoms and tears it up, FANTASTIC. But don't expect it this season. This isn't the NCAA. The level of competition is MUCH higher. And Troy will need time to get his feet under him. I say we give it to him.

Caine

akvikefan89 is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Much ado about Williamson

Yeah, I was reading a StartTribune article and the guy who wrote it was like:

"Williamson had 0 catches for 0 yards, while the guy they didn't draft caught 1 touchdown"

do these guys know anything about football?

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

There was no chance to get him many balls anyway yesterday. One of the worst offensive efforts in 10 years....so you'd expect 0 of 0. Wait until we are humming along normally when Daunte can distribute the ball with the D's on their heels. Then he will shine! I am sure!!

Del Rio Guest

He did get pass interfered with big time, or defensive holding rather. He would have toasted his man so he was held.

I think we will see a bit more of him in week 2.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Who didn't we draft. Alex Smith the tight end? I think he was a no brainer to NOT draft. I'm sick of analysts! Williamson will get his stats and we'll be fine.

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

akvikefan89 is offline Star Spokesman

"VKG4LFE" wrote:
    Who didn't we draft. Alex Smith the tight end? I think he was a no brainer to NOT draft. I'm sick of analysts! Williamson will get his stats and we'll be fine.
    No, Mike Williams.
    they compare them in week 1 where MW is going aganst a Green Bay swiss cheese defense. His stats were 1 catch for 3 yards and a touchdown. Whoopee :roll:

Oh mike Williams, my bad. Yeah, he did nothing. Who cares, I was pissed about the draft at the time but I'm over it. Williamson will get his stats when we get our O figured out. I think we'll be fine next week cuz the guy that came in and replaced that rookie right guard will most likely (hopefully) start.

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Caine" wrote:
    Everywhere I look, the NFL analysts are calling for "more from Williamson" or "more passes to Williamson". They DO realize he's a rookie, right?

Sure, he's got speed. Sure, he was drafted to stretch the field...like "that guy who used to be here but if I mention his name people will spaz". Sure, he was a 1st rounder and has great potential.

But...he's still a rookie.

Personally, I think that most of the Analysts don't know diddly squat about the Vikings. After all, with them spending so much time talking about T-Hoe and his "Whining the hearts and minds of Philadelphia", or "Brett Favre's tragic/Heroic Life", that doesn't leave them a lot of time to REALLY dig deep into the other possible contenders for the NFC Title this season.

But then, this shouldn't suprise anyone. Remember 4 years ago when New England came out nowhere to win the SB? Remember when they repeated 2 years later? It wasn't until the 3rd SB that the media got on the bandwagon (And Madden started dating Brady). Why? Because the media only goes to what's HOT...they call it "being current".

So, as much as I hope Williamson develops into an awesome receiver, I don't think that now is the time to test that. I think that NOW is the time to work with Burleson, Taylor, and M. Robinson...and to get Koren Robinson in there to add firepower. Plus, utilize Kleinsasser and Wiggins in double TE sets.

We all know we can't run yet. As much as everyone has their personal darling, no body on our roster has shown the ability -or, more importantly, the durability - to carry the rock the distance. Each one has flashes...but that's bound to happen over time. So, we may as well quit pretending we're going to be a running team this year. Maybe next year we'll grab someone in FA or in the draft who's a horse...but for now, we don't have it.

So, we have to use what we have....or what we can get. And that means, we PASS. And that brings us back to Williamson.

Troy, for all his build up, is still just a rookie. The ONLY rookie I can think of who ever "tore it up" his rookie year was...well....you know....THAT guy. Rice didn't, Owens didn't, Walker certainly didn't...just THAT guy did. And he's no longer here.

So, sure, bring Williamson in, let him get a taste of NFL speed and NFL contact. But don't drop the load on his shoulders. He's not ready for that, and we don't NEED that from him....yet. I'd rather groom him for what we want from him, and have him deliver next year or the year after, than rush him out there now and ruin his confidence. We do that, and it will be some other team who reaps the benefits of his ability after we cut him (Travis Taylor...ring a bell?).

So, enough with the Williamson hype. If he suddenly blossoms and tears it up, FANTASTIC. But don't expect it this season. This isn't the NCAA. The level of competition is MUCH higher. And Troy will need time to get his feet under him. I say we give it to him.

Caine
    Sorry, Caine...but I have to refute the statement in BOLD...you forget about Anquan Boldin...

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/BoldAn00.htm

I would call that "tearing it up"...not as many TDs, but 101 receptions is nothing to sneeze at.

Still, "you know who" does live in pretty rarified air...air that TWill probably won't see for awhile, if ever. Nonetheless, he will have his time to shine! :grin:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"akvikefan89" wrote:
    "VKG4LFE" wrote:
    No, Mike Williams.
    they compare them in week 1 where MW is going aganst a Green Bay swiss cheese defense. His stats were 1 catch for 3 yards and a touchdown. Whoopee :roll:

Yeah, but did you see how amazing that 3 yard TD catch was by mike Williams? He had to run 5 yards, turn around and catch the pass while being wide open. Man he definitely looked like the right choice for us, by comparing their play yesterday. :lol:

Williamson is raw and our #4 WR right now. Basically that means, when he is in there, it is to run a deep route. Deep routes take time to develop and I think I remember maybe 2 times daunte actually had the time in the pocket to allow a deep route to develop. Both those times however, Williamson wasn't in the game.

I do hope we use Williamson more though, then just deep routes. I like the shorter ones to him, where he can run after the catch and use his speed and elusiveness. Hopefully we will run some quick slants and bubble screens to him soon. Those shorter passes will get him involved and get his comfort level and confidence up some too.

Mark Clayton from Tampa had a pretty good rookie year receiving too!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast