SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

Most Impressive Vikings Rookie So Far...,

From Kevin Seifert, the Vikings beat writer for the Star Trib...,

Second-round pick gets front-line work
    Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune
    May 1, 2005 VIKE0501.NOTES

The rookie most ready to play for the Vikings right away might not be receiver Troy Williamson or defensive end Erasmus James, the team's 2005 first-round draft choices. If appearances in shorts and a helmet are any indication, offensive lineman Marcus Johnson could earn that tag.

Johnson, a well-proportioned 6-6 and 321 pounds, has made a distinct impression during the first two days of minicamp. Johnson, the Vikings' second-round draft choice, worked at left guard Friday and saw action Saturday with the first team at right tackle -- where starter Mike Rosenthal (foot) is sitting out team drills.

Johnson initially figured to compete with Adam Goldberg for the left guard position, but Goldberg's early aptitude there prompted coach Mike Tice to give Johnson a long look at right tackle. Johnson, who played right guard and right tackle last season at Mississippi, could challenge Rosenthal for the starting job.

"I wanted to give [Johnson] a chance to work against some better people and see his level of talent," Tice said. "I like the kid a lot, and I just want to see if he can help us more immediately at a different position [than left guard]."

Tice and offensive coordinator/line Steve Loney will have to determine whether Johnson has the speed to play on the outside. Right end Kenechi Udeze ran past him a few times Saturday, at one point leading to 20 seconds of fisticuffs.

"I'm just trying to learn my role," Johnson said. "Wherever they find a spot for me, that's what I'm willing to do."

Etc.

• Raonall Smith replaced Dontarrious Thomas as the weak-side linebacker on first team. Tice acknowledged that Thomas has not been handed the job.

• James worked with the first team at right end, while Darrion Scott was with the second team. James had a strong day Friday working against reserve linemen but met his match Saturday against starting left tackle Bryant McKinnie.

• Cornerback Ken Irvin missed both practices Saturday as he continued to discuss a new contract with the team. The Vikings are asking him to reduce his $1.5 million base salary, and indications are that the situation will be resolved by today.

• Two more starters took a step back Saturday for injury reasons, bringing the number of starters missing time this week to nine. Linebacker Napoleon Harris (hamstring) sat out team drills for both practices, and safety Darren Sharper (sore leg) missed most of the afternoon session.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

Re: Most Impressive Vikings Rookie So Far...,

sounds cool.

sounds like a surefire good draft pick.
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

im loving our first 3 picks.. i wish they would tell us more on Fox though.. i wonder if he will be playing some dimeback instead of irvin if he wants to hold out? or just play a ton of special teams

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:
    im loving our first 3 picks.. i wish they would tell us more on Fox though.. i wonder if he will be playing some dimeback instead of irvin if he wants to hold out? or just play a ton of special teams
    I would be willing to bet special teams, inless we suffer some injuries.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Sounds like we have our Dixon replacement!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

YET ANOTHER GOOD DRAFTEE..

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Yep! Now he can learn from the best OLine coach too!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

DaunteHOF is offline Coach

good stuff to hear...
    Its not braggin if you can do it!!!