Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Purplebleeder is offline Training Camp

Moss' weight gain (15 lbs.) - Pro or Con?

Weight gain for Moss is a Pro. Here is why I think so.

First, to those of you who have the "Boston Fear Syndrome", lets agree that we are talking about two totally different physiques. Moss could put on an extra 15 and not have it affect his play. From what I read, Boston became a work-out-a-holic - like body building for Mr.Universe rather than a premiere reciever in the NFL.

Randy has shown maturity and has become what Tice wants (wanted?) Duante to be - a student of the game. The cost of the computer is miniscule compared to the information he now has on coverage schemes and cornerback playing style.

The extra weight might slow some of us mere mortals down. Randy is an athlete - and the BEST in his position currently. We have all heard of Moss-like comparisons for new receivers - Dante Stallworth in NO, Plaxico Burress in Pitt ...etc but none are even close. Really the only other receiver that is worth comparing to is the irrepressable Jerry Rice. Those two stand head and shoulders above the rest as far as Play Making ability is concerned.

Until recently, it was noted by the scholarly broadcasters that Moss was not one to go up the middle. The thing that strikes me is when you have a guy with the kind of speed on the outside that Moss has, why go up the middle? However in recent years even that aspect of the game has been more of his repertoire.

In conclusion - the extra weight won't hinder the incredible plays that he will make again this season. Some one said they think he could score 20 TD and have 2000 plus yards. I don't think that is beyond his reach at all. The other team HAVE to respect the run - especially this year with Bennett back. Having Robinson at the other end, will only make it tougher on the Def Coordinators...they get to pick thier poison. Moss will score....he is unstoppable. I don't think we have seen his best yet. 2004 will be a record breaking year. Lets PLAY BALL!!!!
    A Viking Fan(atic)

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Moss' weight gain (15 lbs.) - Pro or Con?

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:
    Yes, he'll be able to break tackles more easily (though he already had a wicked stiffarm), but will it slow him down and take away that breathtaking speed he possessed? With Cornerbacks like DeAngelo Hall entering the league and other quick veteran cornerbacks, a difference of half a step will mean quite a bit. He ran a 4.23 40 - only Deion Sanders was faster, at 4.22. What will he run now?
    If I remember correctly what I read, this weight gain puts Moss around 210-215. He said, in responce to a recent question about this gain, that he believes he could play at 215-220 without losing any speed. It sounds like he's considered this issue, and feels he knows his capabilities well enough that 15 pounds was safe to put on. He hit the weights hard this offseason, since he couldn't run as much.

VKG4LFE2 is offline Waterboy

PRO- Moss is going to be a madman this year. Being able to break tackles will be huge. All those quick passes we throw to him might go somewhere. He will still be fast as $hit.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Good point point VKG4LFE2!! I didn't know that you had it in you!!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

BigEasyViking is offline Coordinator

"bigdogbovy" wrote:
    Randy's never been a spped WR, he's fast sure but he's never been as fast as bennett. Mass has always been the guy who has the great leap, good spearation, terrific routes, great hands.

Besides 15 lbs of muscle is not gonna cut your speed.
    If randy moss isn't a speed reciever then there is no such a thing.

:scratch:
    God Bless America, & the MINNESOTA VIKINGS!!!

RandyMoss8404 is offline Hall of Famer

"bigdogbovy" wrote:
    Hate to burst the Randy is a speed guy bubble, but 4.5 - 40 isn't blazing. Most quick Corners have that kind of speed. What makes randy special is the ability to get the spearation. Carte had it, Rice had it too even when he was no longer fast. you mistake burning someone, or making them think your running one route when your running another with speed.
    4.5? Torry HOLT runs a 4.5. Moss runs a 4.23-4.25...ON A BAD DAY.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWgAayphx7Y
    "He s done it! Portugal is through!"

bigdogbovy is offline Asst. Coach

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:
    "bigdogbovy" wrote:
    Hate to burst the Randy is a speed guy bubble, but 4.5 - 40 isn't blazing. Most quick Corners have that kind of speed. What makes randy special is the ability to get the spearation. Carte had it, Rice had it too even when he was no longer fast. you mistake burning someone, or making them think your running one route when your running another with speed.
    Randy ran 4.25 before he went to marshall, After marshall and combine etc high 4.4s 4.5 ish

Sure he's fast, but I'm saying that's not what makes him great. A lot of guys are fast. Randy's a master at separation, fooling the defender and the timing of the leap.
    de43540278a8c8500baf55c07109eb7e

RandyMoss8404 is offline Hall of Famer

"bigdogbovy" wrote:
    "RandyMoss8404" wrote:
    "bigdogbovy" wrote:
    Randy ran 4.25 before he went to marshall, After marshall and combine etc high 4.4s 4.5 ish
    I think you're gunna need links to back that up, because I have links that say his combine score was 4.23-4.25.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWgAayphx7Y
    "He s done it! Portugal is through!"

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:
    "bigdogbovy" wrote:
    "RandyMoss8404" wrote:
    "bigdogbovy" wrote:
    I think you're gunna need links to back that up, because I have links that say his combine score was 4.23-4.25.

Yeah, I have a bunch listing his combine at 4.25 too. No way he ran a 4.5 ever, unless he was fresh off of foot surgery.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

OK, we are all wrong. Moss actually missed the NFL combine because he had to get 6 teeth removed. I still have yet to see a 40 time of his posted anywhere near a 4.4 or 4.5 though. All I have seen have been at or below 4.31. I saw an interview with bennett after he was drafted, talking about him wanting to have a race with Moss to see who was faster. Bennett ran a 4.27, which he said was similar to moss's 40 time, and he wanted to show that he was faster than moss. I believe he is, but Moss is still fast as hell. No where near a 4.5.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast