Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Moss Vs Carter

LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni

Moss Vs Carter

Won't argue a ton on Favre, guys. I think he's a great, talented, valuable player on the downside of his career, but I won't say he was Joe Montana class.

But one thing Favre has never been is a cancer in the locker room. That's the label that has been placed on guys like Carter, and not just by me. We're all going to be upset when the guy playing you showboats a bit, and Favre gets all giddy and excited, yes.

And I won't argue that Carter was a great player and a fairly classy guy during the first half of his career. But classy over the late 90's and into the 2000's? Nope. He's retired, and I forget hating players just because they beat us. He did beat us at times. But you don't forget the whining, pushing off, locker room stuff that made the Vikings find him expendable.

Honestly...I'm not trying to tick you guys off. I'm just trying to make a point that he wasn't one of the classiest guys in the NFL.
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Welcome to the NFC North.

chubchub is offline Rookie

Moss Vs Carter

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by dan3ski

You really are comparing apples and oranges here. I big play guy vs a possession reciever. You might try to compare Moss to Ahmad Reshad or Carter to Jordan. You might remember Jordan a great tight end in the 70's with the Vikings also a possession reciever
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">F.Y.I.-Jordan played in the 80's and early 90's

chubchub is offline Rookie

Moss Vs Carter

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by LosAngelis

Won't argue a ton on Favre, guys. I think he's a great, talented, valuable player on the downside of his career, but I won't say he was Joe Montana class.

But one thing Favre has never been is a cancer in the locker room. That's the label that has been placed on guys like Carter, and not just by me. We're all going to be upset when the guy playing you showboats a bit, and Favre gets all giddy and excited, yes.

And I won't argue that Carter was a great player and a fairly classy guy during the first half of his career. But classy over the late 90's and into the 2000's? Nope. He's retired, and I forget hating players just because they beat us. He did beat us at times. But you don't forget the whining, pushing off, locker room stuff that made the Vikings find him expendable.

Honestly...I'm not trying to tick you guys off. I'm just trying to make a point that he wasn't one of the classiest guys in the NFL.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Carter was never considered a cancer or negative influence in the locker room. He used to take Moss and other players to his house in Florida and conduct his own minicamp three weeks before training camp even started. He worked out with them and basically taught them the ropes. Any negativity came in the last two years of his career.Yah, he got mad like anyone else when he wasn't getting the ball-but what superstar doesn't? He was a fiery competitor who got frustrated with losing-and got in the faces of players he felt weren't performing(a la Ray Lewis)-but that's not negative.That's leadership.They didn't find him expendable-if you remember he retired. Worked for H.B.O. for a year and then tried to come back with Miami.

Moss Vs Carter

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by chubchub
    Carter was never considered a cancer or negative influence in the locker room.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Well, maybe not by anyone in Minnesota...

"On the other hand, you have the TD magnet Cris Carter, whom many NFLers have described as a cancer in the clubhouse who even can be too much of a dictatorial-like leader in the locker room and on the field as well as a Keyshawn-like crybaby when things don't go right." - Pro Football Weekly

"Carter already has a bad rep for his notorious sideline jawings with Vikings receiver Randy Moss, quarterback Daunte Culpepper and former coach Dennis Green." - Toronto Sun

"Cancer Kills: “I play when I want to play. Do I play up to my top performance, my ability every time? Maybe not. I just keep doing what I do and that is playing football. When I make my mind up, I am going out there to tear somebody's head off. When I go out there and play football, man, it’s not anybody telling me to play or how I should play. I play when I want to play, case closed.” Yes, Randy. Case closed. It seems as though you have been taking sportsmanship classes from Cris Carter." - The Spleen Online

"According to a team source, the Dolphins are ready to deal with Carter, if he retreats to his old habits of reminding everyone else that they're not him.

Per the source, "if carter starts mouthing off in a game we'll tell him to shut the f--k up. This isn't Minnesota." - Pro Football Talk

"These Vikings just can't lose enough football games for me. And the only thing worse than their losses is the way they react to adversity.
    There was Randy Moss blaming everyone but himself after being shut down in the Giants' 41-0 blitz for the NFC title in January. Last week there was Cris Carter pointing fingers and pushing teammates around on the sideline.
    That's just the type of mentor I've always sought out.
    Now I'm not advocating violence, but would anybody intervene if Daunte Culpepper went and punched the two of them in the mouth?" - Times-Herald Record

Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

Moss Vs Carter

wasn't it moss who said that he plays when he wants to play? That wasn't carter. Tasteless comment but wrong guy Los :P

RandyMoss8404 is offline Hall of Famer

Moss Vs Carter

You missed his point. After randy said it, the guy said 'You must be taking sportsmanship class with Cris Carter.'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWgAayphx7Y
    "He s done it! Portugal is through!"

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Moss Vs Carter

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by RandyMoss8404

You missed his point. After randy said it, the guy said 'You must be taking sportsmanship class with Cris Carter.'
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Los you got a couple quotes from the same article there combined with a few highlighting how he was frustrated after the loss to the Giants. Who wouldn't be? No one is perfect all the time, and if you wee really trying to win a ring and you though people were slacking you would yell at them too. He seems to have gotten the reputation only in his last year. There are always journalists who dislike players, and write negative articles full of alf-truths and speculation.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

Moss Vs Carter

When all is said and done, Moss will probably be one of the two best WRs in the history of the game (Rice being the other). But he needs to do it for a few more years to reach Carter status, in my opinion. Moss has amazing athletic ability, but Carter had that knack for making the circus catch and getting the first down. I wish his attitude hadn't melted down in his final season as a Viking.

I hope Moss gets a ring (or three) with the Vikings and plays for us his entire career. Barring injury, he could be the greatest of all time.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

Moss Vs Carter

I will admit that I was slightly shocked as I paged through article after article about Carter and saw he was nominated several times for sportsmanship awards earlier.

Someone related before that Carter was just being like "Ray Lewis" in trying to motivate his team. From my standpoint, he seemed a lot more like "Dan Marino", a guy who had a stellar career, then turned into a poor sport at the end when his team wasn't performing to get him his ring. Whenver I think of Marino, I don't think of those great passes to the Marks Brothers in the 80's, I think of those highlights in the 90's where he always looked ticked off and frustrated and yelling at his young teammates.

That kind of stuff should be taken care of in the locker room, not on the field. Owens tore into a coach and was rightfully torched for it. AI had a fight with his coach and was benched. It's a me-first attitude that, unfortunately, Carter left as his last impression before he retired.

BTW, every citation I quoted came from a different author and a different article.

Remember: I'm not cutting on Carter's ability or value as a receiver..he was incredible. I'm just questioning the comment that he was the classiest act in the NFL.

briboy75 is offline Asst. Coach

Moss Vs Carter

Carter kicked @ss.. Too bad he went to miami for that one year.. kind of took something away from my impression of him (just a little).. As good as he was, Moss is better.. at least so far.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast