Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Moss speaks! Moss opens up in an interview

Thought this was a good article and more info to get everbody pumped for the season! It is long but has some good quotes!

Posted on Thu, Sep. 09, 2004

Older and bolder

Daunte Culpepper's and Randy Moss' maturity and confidence bode well for the Vikings.

BOB SANSEVERE

Randy Moss sees a different Daunte Culpepper. A more mature, more confident Daunte Culpepper.

"I just think he's determined to make it happen,' Moss said. "The older you get, the more comfortable you are with yourself. I've gotten better as I've matured.'

Moss spoke that piece Wednesday. Until then, he had pulled a Marcel Marceau with the media. No matter what was asked, he declined to talk. Then on Wednesday he was asked about Culpepper. It unlatched the lock on his thoughts.

He talked about Culpepper. He talked about himself. He talked about whether he and Culpepper could go down as the best quarterback-receiver tandem ever, and how little it would mean to him.

"I don't worry about that,' Moss said. "I just want to get a ring. The best tandem, the best this, the best that — none of that matters.'

What matters is winning and getting to the Super Bowl and getting that ring. And though that is his hope, you won't hear Moss boasting this is the year it will happen.

"This is Week 1. Ask me in Week 13 or 14,' he said. "There's a certain hype, but we don't want to get ahead of ourselves. We're headed in the right direction.'

Culpepper isn't the only Viking who appears different and more mature.

"There are times you think you're doing the right things, and after the season you know you didn't do the right things,' Moss said.

He didn't go into detail, but those around him, his coaches, his teammates, have noticed Moss doing the right things. Things he hasn't always done. For example, he gave coach Mike Tice seven pages of notes on how to beat the Dallas Cowboys in Sunday's opener. That's a first.

"He's doing a lot of the little things,' Culpepper said. "He's blocking downfield. He's running decoy routes and stuff like that.'

"By him blocking downfield,' tackle Bryant McKinnie said, "it could spring a running play. It could be a 20-yard run or a touchdown.'

"He's definitely poised to have his best year for the simple fact he's fully focused,' Culpepper said.

Already the most explosive player in the league, Moss had 111 catches for 1,632 yards and 17 touchdowns last season. If he stays healthy, the numbers could be even better this season. A lot of that would have to do with Culpepper.

His maturity and confidence should translate into improved efficiency and production, with Moss the primary beneficiary.

"The biggest thing is, I'm not dwelling on the negative,' Culpepper said. 'When something bad happens, I get past it now.'

He couldn't get past it in 2002, when he had five more interceptions than touchdowns and had to beg Tice not to bench him. Sometime last season, a switch flicked, and he stopped dwelling.

"When bad things happen, it's part of the game,' Culpepper said. "It comes with maturity. It comes with repetition and running the offense a lot.'

In the exhibition season, Culpepper ran the Vikings' offense better than any quarterback ran an NFL offense. He led the league with 540 passing yards and a quarterback rating of 134.4. Yeah, it was only the preseason, but there was a crispness in his passes and the way he directed the team that wasn't as evident in the past.

"He's more focused than last year as far as making the correct reads and getting the ball off quicker,' McKinnie said. "He used to hold it a little longer last year.'

Dallas Cowboys coach Bill Parcells has been squinting at footage of Culpepper for a while in preparing for Sunday's game. He has noticed what Moss and McKinnie have noticed. This is a different Daunte.

"It looks like he's really matured into a really fine quarterback,' Parcells said. "He's big, mobile, hard to tackle and has a tremendous arm. He looks like the type of guy who's headed — if he's not already there — to being a premier (quarterback).'

Parcells also has viewed plenty of footage of Moss and sees change in him, too.

"He's problematic,' Parcells said. "If he's not the top, he's one of the best two or three (receivers). He's certainly way up there. He's just a tremendous threat. A lot more crafty than he was four or five years ago.'

He'll get no argument from Moss.

"Three or four years ago, in the 2000 NFC championship game, I thought we had everything,' Moss said. "I stayed outside. I didn't do a lot in the slot.'

Now he is all over the field — outside, in the slot, in motion.

"There's a lot I've learned on the field and off,' Moss said. "Our rookies will look back in three or four years and know what I mean.'

In three or four years, we might all look back on 2004 as the season Culpepper and Moss became different, and became better.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

"He's more focused than last year as far as making the correct reads and getting the ball off quicker,' McKinnie said. "He used to hold it a little longer last year.'
    Thats what will put us over the top this year IMHO. :thumbleft:

WWBGD

"There's a lot I've learned on the field and off,' Moss said. "Our rookies will look back in three or four years and know what I mean.'

In three or four years, we might all look back on 2004 as the season Culpepper and Moss became different, and became better

FOLKS WE ARE GOING ALL THE WAY....
    Yesterday is History
    Tomorrow a Mystery
    TODAY is a GIFT that is why WE
    call it the "PRESENT"

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Well i like what Moss said about doin things week by week and not getting ahead of thereselves. One game at a time.

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

I got a little chill when I read that.... OMG is it Sunday yet?!?!?!! I'm ready for some VIKING FOOTBALL!!!!

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

This really shows Moss' maturity and it makes me feel good that he is on the up and up since I have been defending him for the past 6 years!!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Big Daddy is offline Starter

RK and Casper I just hope your right, but one thing is for sure, it will be an awesome year!
    Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it but only you can feel it s warmth!

Big C is offline Coordinator

Yeah, Moss will be fine, Culpepper will be fine, hopefully Bennet will be fine too. What is the biggest thing we have this year that we haven't had in the past? Even more than the maturity of Moss and Culpepper?

DEFENSE!!! DEFENSE!!! DEFENSE!!!

Man, this is going to be one MAJOR ASS KICKING season!! This is the third year of Tice's 3 year plan and things just seem to be going almost BETTER than what Tice had originally planned! Man I'm pumped!!!
    Halo 4. Start another fight.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Moss said in another interview (guess he finally starting to speak) that the only thing that matters to him is winning the SuperBowl!

He also said if he would win the league MVP if they didn't win the SB it would mean nothing!

He complimented Keyshawn, said he would love to have a fireball like him playing across from him, and that Keyshawn had the talent to be the best receiver ever in the league (I do not see it).
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

cheesefree is offline Starter

"whackthepack" wrote:
    He complimented Keyshawn, said he would love to have a fireball like him playing across from him, and that Keyshawn had the talent to be the best receiver ever in the league (I do not see it).
    It's the other way around, Keyshawn complimented Moss.

Keyshawn Johnson, the often outspoken wide receiver now with the Cowboys, shared a few of his opinions on a conference call with Twin Cities reporters.

Among the highlights:

• On the NFL's enforcement of the illegal-contact rule against pass defenders: "I've seen it where they call things to death in the preseason, then at the end of the day, when the season starts, they don't call it. I hope I don't get fined for that, criticizing officials and all."

• On Randy Moss: "I would love to play opposite a guy like him in my career -- someone with firepower like him. ... I know the guy has the potential to be the greatest receiver who ever played the game."

• On Vikings linebacker Chris Claiborne, who like Johnson played at USC: "He's worked his way into shape after being 285 banana-chip pounds in Detroit, and he's a very solid linebacker."
    [b:6191debc1d]it ain t easy being cheesy[/b:6191debc1d]
    [img:6191debc1d]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid137/p834fa46b07efd9e3efdcb7cb577f214e/f73f7170.jpg[/img:6191debc1d]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast