vikesls is offline Rookie

The Moss Flap = Packer's tradition?

Yahoo posted the following, if you haven't already seen it:
    Moss Flap Continues

Viking Update Staff - Scout.com
    January 11, 2005 at 10:49am ET
    The fallout of the Randy Moss touchdown celebration continues to be felt without the critical question being asked -- was there significance to what he did?

The same national media that Randy Moss referred to as pro-Vikings continues to hammer him for his post-touchdown celebration Sunday. Yet, through all the self-righteous condemnation of Moss, nobody has asked what should have been the obvious question -- why would Moss pretend to moon fans?

The answer is simple and makes sense. It's become something of a tradition for Packers fans to line up and moon the team bus of the opposition when they lose. They've done it to the Vikings, the Bucs, the Bears, the Cowboys and others. In a bizarre butt-crack way, it's actually a sign of respect.

Moss has seen his share of these left-handed compliments from Packers fans and was merely giving back in kind. The flap that ensued was started by FOX Sports Joe Buck, who was looking for something bad to say about the Vikings all day apparently, and followed up by the Hee-Haw studio crew after the game. Once set in motion, this non-story took on a life of its own.

The bottom line for Moss is that any time he does or says anything that rubs someone the wrong way, we're all going to be subjected to the stories of the water bottle -- which was six years ago by the way -- and the other stories of Randy's misdemeanor past.

Is Moss deserving of criticism? Sure he is. Throwing a faux moon isn't the smartest thing he could have done. But, knowing why he did it explains a lot -- something none of the people who made it a headline story seem to understand. Consider it a backhanded homage to Packers fans -- or just a case of Moss turning the other cheek.

Burley81 is offline Asst. Coach

Dungy said thats what they do, i believe Dungy. Maybe Denny Green should be asked that, he would know to

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Old news. Read our home page or earlier threads.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Sorry to bring this thread up again, but I didn't know that Birk had said this...and thought that it was interesting that he said it:

Minnesota center Matt Birk, who confronted Moss the previous week about leaving the field with 2 seconds left in a loss in Washington, didn't consider Moss's latest stunt a team "distraction." This time, Birk defended Moss - sort of.

"Brett Favre used to do the throat slash. I think that's worse than just a fake moon," Birk said. "But, you know, Randy's Randy and Brett's Brett, so Randy gets heat."
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"cajunvike" wrote:
    Sorry to bring this thread up again, but I didn't know that Birk had said this...and thought that it was interesting that he said it:

Minnesota center Matt Birk, who confronted Moss the previous week about leaving the field with 2 seconds left in a loss in Washington, didn't consider Moss's latest stunt a team "distraction." This time, Birk defended Moss - sort of.

"Brett Favre used to do the throat slash. I think that's worse than just a fake moon," Birk said. "But, you know, Randy's Randy and Brett's Brett, so Randy gets heat."
    I heard that also. I think I saw it on the "sounds of the game."

True, Randy's Randy and Boxing Brett is just the same old lovable Brett Favrah-rah-rah GOooooo Brett.