Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Moss the "fisherman"

This article was in the Mpls. Star/Tribune today. I would never have guessed Moss was a fisherman? I thought his only hobbies were running down traffic cops?

At first blush, they appear to be Minnesota's odd couple in a fishing boat, Randy Moss and John Laub.

Moss (yes, that one) is a 28-year-old flamboyant football player, a former Viking who is paid millions because he can catch footballs like nobody else in the NFL.

Laub is a 54-year-old pro angler and guide who, when he's not fishing, sells fishing boats in Chisago City at Frankie Dusenka's place.

But it turns out they do have something in common: fishing. Next Wednesday they will launch the Randy Moss Celebrity Charity Invitational Bass Tournament, a one-day event on Lake Minnetonka.

If Laub's predictions are correct, a day of fishing with Randy and friends has the makings of a winner for the Smile Network charity ... even if the bass don't bite.

"Randy's passion is children," said Laub.

Fifty pro anglers will be paired with sports and media celebrities and corporate sponsors to compete for heaviest total catch. First place will be worth $50,000 in cash and prizes.

A 3 p.m. weigh-in will be held at Lord Fletcher's Restaurant. Country singing star Tracy Byrd will be emcee.

The public may attend the weigh-in for a $5 donation to Smile Network, a charity that offers financial assistance to poor children with treatable mouth problems, such as cleft palate.

"Our motto is fish for a smile," Laub said the other day.

Randy Moss also is smiling (not because he was traded).

"Randy's passion is children," said Laub, who began a fishing relationship seven years ago with Moss, then a Vikings rookie.

"We talked about a children's charity for years. When I mentioned the Smile Network and what it does, Randy said, 'I'm in.' This is the biggest thing he's ever put his name on."

Football fans might be surprised to know Moss has a passion for largemouth bass fishing.

Said Laub, "Lots of people know who Randy is, but so few know him."

Laub said he and Moss fished together for two years before their friendship began to grow. "He values his friends," Laub said of Moss.

While millions of Americans have watched Moss pull in a spectacular pass catch, few can say the same about a Moss bass catch.

"So what kind of fisherman is Moss?" I asked Laub.

"He's pretty good. He's got the touch. He's competitive," Laub said. "Tell him to cast to a quarter and he'll put his lure on a dime."

Now, in his first season away from the Vikings, Moss is stepping up as a Minnesota angler.

Better late than never.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

Re: Moss the "fisherman"

That is cool that he is helping the children.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

Del Rio Guest

Did you say fishing?

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Del Rio" wrote:
    Did you say fishing?

Somebody you know, Del?
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

BTW, Moss's SI article talked about his love of fishing, so it wasn't any real surprise...but the real surprise was that he was holding his charity fishing event out on Lake Minnetonka instead of somewhere in Northern Cali...shows that he doesn't have any hard feelings for the Minnesota fans...I think that shows alot of class on his part!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Del Rio Guest

I may or may not know her. :smile:

I take everything back I have ever said about Moss, now that I know he fishes.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

I thought it showed some class on his part, holding the tourney in MN....

I think alot of it has to do with the way he really feels about Minny, and he must still have a good friendship with his fishing partner..

Maybe someday Moss would play in the Purple and Gold again, would be fine with me if he learns how to be a team player.......

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

bryonfos is offline Starter

He is probably just doing it because it was scheduled prior to the trade, and he didn't want to been seen as more of an ass by cancelling the charity event.
    The only thing worse than a Packer is a Cowboy

OK. some concerns:

first "Randy Moss also is smiling (not because he was traded)." - I thought i was the one with the bad, bad jokes!

second: "Randy's passion is children," - if he gets a big ranch up there i will start to get very concerned!

three: if he fishes as well has he catches he will be able to feed a lot of the hungry children around the world ( thats a positive concern)

Moss is a good guy, has a good heart, just has some idiossincrasies in his personality that make him a hard person to deal with when you share a lockeroom! i hope his happy AND, i hope he gets as many fishes as vikings players will catch RINGS!
    Vikings from all over the world. Lets unite!

fred3105 is offline Coordinator

Ive seen some stuff on this but the thing that suprised me was the guest list. I never saw Randy Moss as someone that would listen to country music, but like 1/2 the people invited are country singers.
    http://homepage.mac.com/vijayr/PSU/MM05PSU2.mov (Mario Manningham)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast