Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Moss #1

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Moss #1

News Flash Los, every WR in the league takes plays off. They didn't just come out and admit it like moss. Hell, I remember watching Jerry Rice take plays off. Isn't he the best WR ever?

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

TWISTED is offline Training Camp

Moss #1

packmanxxxi
    I challenege you to find one play when Favre took off

Ive got one for ya... The fall down, give up, bullsh!t sack that gave the record to Strahan. Did you forget that one?
    cf7231f7c41f3d4c4e95634c9d920584

LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni

Moss #1

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    News Flash Los, every WR in the league takes plays off. They didn't just come out and admit it like moss. Hell, I remember watching Jerry Rice take plays off. Isn't he the best WR ever?
    Fine by me. Why doesn't/didn't Rice ever get called on it like Moss does?
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Welcome to the NFC North.

RandyMoss8404 is offline Hall of Famer

Moss #1

"LosAngelis" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    Fine by me. Why doesn't/didn't Rice ever get called on it like Moss does?
    Because Jerry Rice is Jerry Rice. It's kind of like Michael Jordan never getting called for pushing off or cheating on his wife. Same concept.

It's kind of like Brett Favre being remembered for his incredible game vs. the Raiders after learning of the death of his father, instead of thinking the #20 in the Eagles jersey looked sexy enough to toss the ball to in OT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWgAayphx7Y
    "He s done it! Portugal is through!"

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

Moss #1

"packmanxxxi" wrote:
    "Bdubya" wrote:
    All I know is that ever since Moss said that he plays when he wants to play, everyone who doesnt like Moss is going to find an example of when he didnt "give 100%". I'm sure that if we went back and looked at a lot of NFL players, they wont be going all out on EVERY single play during the season. You may think that Moss doesnt try his best, but he has showed up and played in every game during his career, he hasnt sat out once. Not a lot of recievers can do that over six seasons.
    I challenege you to find one play when Favre took off
    Maybe that play where Strahan set the sack record?
    SKOL VIKINGS!

Moss #1

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:
    Because Jerry Rice is Jerry Rice. It's kind of like Michael Jordan never getting called for pushing off or cheating on his wife. Same concept.
    But Randy Moss is Randy Moss. He is, arguably, the best receiver in the league, and according to many of you, may go down as the greatest receiver of all time.

I'm not understanding the comparison. Jerry Rice was a consumate professional all his career. If he took plays off, I sure didn't notice them as much as I notice them with Randy.

Why is that?

1) Rice was a focal point of team play, one of many weapons. Moss, when the Randy Ratio was around, was just the focal point.

2) Rice made his quarterbacks better. Moss has made his quarterback take the brunt of blame when he doesn't get the ball enough. Does anyone ever blame Moss for a loss? They blame Daunte.

3) Rice was a pro. He was soft-spoken and congenial, but never resorted to "look-at-me" antics that are so prevelent today. Moss is also soft-spoken, but if I'm correct, he doesn't talk to the media. He doesn't do the "look-at-me" antics that Horn and Owens do, but he does sulk. Once again, I will admit he is dramatically improved in this area over the last several seasons.

4) Rice never said, "Jerry only plays when Jerry wants to play". There was never a "Jerry Ratio", and if there was, the coach wasn't idiotic enough to announce it to the world. Moss...you know.

5) Jerry, to my knowledge, was never in trouble with the law. Check my archive posts and on two occasions, I printed a two page listing of all of Moss's legal problems.

Once again, I feel like I'm way overarguing this point. Moss is a good receiver, and my point is that he still has some of the lingering problems that plagued him early on.

In Green Bay, no one ever mentions Favre's addiction problems. Its old news. But outside of GB, it seems to get mentioned all the time, as if that's the big thing people associate with him, especially if they don't like him.

In Minnesota, no one ever mentions Moss's problems from the late 90s and early 2000's. But outside of Minnesota, people still lump Moss and Owens in the same "me-first" group.

When Favre does stupid stuff, in GB, we tend to overlook it. The Strahan incident had many excuses made for it, some from me. His interceptions we either shrug off or blame the receiver. Its human nature.

When Moss does stupid stuff, in Minnesota, you tend to overlook it. If he starts giving up on a game because he isn't getting the ball enough, you look to blame elsewhere. If Daunte is forcing a ball into Moss, and gets intercepted, you blame him instead of the Randy Ratio. Its human nature.

You can easily list all of Favre's idiocies and force me to have to accept or argue them. if you want to do that, let's start a new thread.

My only point is that Moss (no one else, not Ferguson or Rice or Don Hutson or Pele) still has a stigma of taking his plays off and being a me-first player. True or not, or AS-true or not, when I watched him in both games last year, he was a monster who didn't give up on a single play in Green Bay, and seemed to be a brooding, disinterested player in Minnesota who alligator-armed and jogged routes.

We're arguing whether Moss deserves to be the #1 receiver in the league in everyone's eyes. Some are going to root against him the rest of his career. When you all stop the Favre-bashing, I'll agree it's unfair and unjust. Other than that, you have the most talented receiver in the league, and the only thing that will stop him from having tremendous success is himself.
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Moss #1

Los are you saying Moss doesn't make quarterbacks look better? That is the most ridiculous statement I have ever heard.

Cunningham and George in the twilight of their careers looked like All-Stars, Culpepper made it to the probowl in his first season, Bouman looked great whenever he took over, Frerotte had arguably two of the best regular season games for a QB last year. The only possible exception is the infamous Spergon Wynn. Hell, Throw me in there, all you have to do is bomb it deep and he will come up with it :P.

Moss gets called out for it because of what he said three years ago and because of the bad rap he seems to have in this league.

As far as Moss sulking? Say what? Do you hang out with him or something, the guy just doesn't talk to the media because they twist every little thing he says. As far as being a class act everyone has skeletons in their closet:

RICE, JERRY
    It looked as if Mariucci needed protection from Rice during the receiver's second-quarter fit. Rice yelled at his coach after dropping a short pass from Garcia near the sidelines. There's precedent for this behavior. Rice bellowed at Mariucci during a 1998 blowout win over the Redskins. Rice seemed upset at Garcia and the miscommunication between the two. Rice was angered he dropped the short pass thrown to him, but he figured Garcia wanted to run instead of throw. "The venting is not at the coaches," Rice said. "You are trying to get yourself going. I was not making good decisions. I just wanted to get it out of my system and then I can get it under control."
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/examiner/hotnews/stories/25/P49ers.dtl
    Speaking of Jerry Rice, it's sad to see what has become of the greatest receiver in league history. Everyone loses a step or two as they advance in years in this league. Some deal with it elegantly; Jerry Rice is not among this group. His tirade in Mariucci's face on the sideline Sunday in the first quarter was just the latest in a series of disappointing acts by the all-time touchdowns leader. His announcement three weeks into the season that he would play another year only if it is with someone other than the 49ers really took no one who knows the future hall-of-famer by surprise. To hear Rice tell it, he's just too old and it's time to move on to let a new generation of 49ers put their stamp on the team. How touching. . . Perhaps the divorce of Rice and the 49ers is the best thing for both parties. This much is certain: Rice will not be happy anywhere that he is not the center of attention and the star receiver. And that's just not gonna happen -- anywhere. You've lost a step, Jerry. It happens to even the greatest players. Deal with it. Be a leader. And quit the whining.
    http://www.sportingnews.com/voices/dave_darling/20000927.html
    While the San Francisco 49ers rediscovered their offense, Jerry Rice didn't think he was part of it. Steve Young broke open a close game by throwing two of his four touchdown passes in a 17-point third quarter, including one to Rice, and the 49ers beat the Saints 31-20 Sunday night to remain a game behind Atlanta in the NFC West. But Rice, who finished with three catches after being shut out in a first half for the first time in six years, complained about his lack of involvement. Rice was sometimes used as the third receiver off the bench when San Francisco went to a two-wideout set that employed J.J. Stokes and Terrell Owens. "I just work here. If nothing is asked of me, I guess I'm not going to do much," said Rice, in the midst of a comeback season after missing almost all of last year with two serious knee injuries. "If you ask me if I’m having a good time, no," Rice said. "Is this something that might want to make you retire? Hell, yes. All I know is I'm not having a good time. Maybe it's time for me to move on." Rice said he was extremely frustrated, but brushed off other questions as he walked out of the locker room.
    http://cbs.sportsline.com/u/football/nfl/1998/week12/news/niners112298.htm
    San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Jerry Rice says he had idea the spa he was visiting had a history of prostitution. Rice says he simply went to get a deep-tissue massage when police arrived to shut the business down. Police were serving papers to MV Spa in Mountain View when Rice emerged from a bathroom Wednesday. He and other customers were not detained. No arrests were made. Rice told local media he was in the establishment for only a few minutes. He said teammates had told him the spa was a good place to get a deep-tissue massage. "I think they played a trick on me. I was five minutes," Rice said. "It didn't take me long to put two and two together."
    http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/articles/19980312/60216.html

Yah a real class act. For the record I don't recall Moss ever demanding the ball or verbally expressing his frustrations to the media. I understand your points Los, Moss is not perfect but he does get treated unfairly, at least these past few seasons.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Moss #1

Los, I just want to say that it wasn't Randy that came up with the "Randy Ratio." That was Mike Tice. Yes, it sounded good to every vikes fan to hear that Moss was going to get the ball thrown his way X number of times a game!! Obviously the "ratio" was a bust, but don't think it was Moss having a "me me" attitude because it was Tice that developed the Ratio!!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Moss #1

"VKG4LFE" wrote:
    Los, I just want to say that it wasn't Randy that came up with the "Randy Ratio." That was Mike Tice. Yes, it sounded good to every vikes fan to hear that Moss was going to get the ball thrown his way X number of times a game!! Obviously the "ratio" was a bust, but don't think it was Moss having a "me me" attitude because it was Tice that developed the Ratio!!
    And that's why I said the SF coaching would never be so idiotic to announce such a ratio.

My question to you, then, would be WHY would Tice have created and announced a Randy Ratio to begin with. This was after Jake Reed had left, and Carter was in decline or retired. What would have motivated Tice to do this? Was it media or fan demand? Were his other players and coaches demanding it? Was Red demanding it?

Tice is a weak coach, and either he did it because he was simply stupid, or he felt he had to keep Moss happy and involved. Remember, this was the same time as the "Randy only plays when Randy wants to play".

At this point in time, Randy was having a "me me" first attitude.

Moss #1

"LosAngelis wrote:

Tice is a weak coach, and either he did it because he was simply stupid, or he felt he had to keep Moss happy and involved. Remember, this was the same time as the "Randy only plays when Randy wants to play".

At this point in time, Randy was having a "me me" first attitude.
    What is your point, los? :P He doesn't anymore.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast