Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

More Vikings players have encounter with police

[size=13pt]Vikings team up with police, and this time it is all good[/size]

C.J., Star Tribune
    Last update: September 21, 2006 – 12:17 AM

Occasionally, a "What the ... ?" look flashed across the faces of Minnesota Vikings as passes sailed over their heads Tuesday at Catholic Charities' St. Joseph's Home for Children in Minneapolis.

Very quickly, Greg Blue, Jason Carter, Charles Gordon, Tarvaris Jackson, Spencer Johnson, Chris Kluwe, Jayme Mitchell, Tony Richardson and Khreem Smith recognized that their presence was igniting youthful exuberance.

The Vikings and the Minneapolis Police Department hosted a "Football and Life Clinic," where the fun had a couple of purposes.

"We are trying to [attract] the next generation of Minneapolis cops from Minneapolis; from the neighborhood," said police officer Mark Klukow. Klukow said he got the Vikings to donate 1,000 Nerf footballs stamped with the message, "Minneapolis Police Join Our Team."

Klukow sees the footballs as ice-breakers. "The perfect scenario would be for us to go around neighborhoods, where there are kids hanging out doing nothing, park our squads and play football awhile," Klukow said. "Now, at the end of that contact, we'll be able to give them the ball and we can kind of connect with that 15- or 16-year-old kid, who is on the edge as to whether they will fall down or keep their nose clean, and maybe aspire to become a cop."

It's much easier to become a cop than a professional athlete, Klukow said, but most kids don't believe that. And to be sure, there were some young athletic prospects at the clinic.

Rae'Quntashae, 10, flitted by like Jackie Joyner-Kersee. This kid was lightning fast -- perhaps too quick for her own good as she took some awkward steps to avoid stepping on a foam obstacle. Thank goodness Viking Tony Richardson was there to, ah, console the girl as she wiped away tears. "You did a good job on that drill," he said. "Walk it off." She thanked him, and when she was out of earshot, Richardson looked at me and said, "Put a little dirt on it; it'll be all right."

Rae'Quntashae brightened considerably when I told her she's got to love being faster than a lot of the boys. "I used to be on the football team; that's why," she said. Guess she's been told before to put dirt on it.

Good job, Jon, bad look

Jon Voss, who had a short-lived late-night sports show on KARE-11, is a youth counselor at the home. And he's still sporting that ridiculous chin hair that looks rougher than a squirrel's tail. "Come on, the ladies around here like it," Voss said. Well, let's ask a kid. "Makes him look good," said Claire, 10, although she also conceded that the beard has a touch of the animal world about it.

Pastor sees clean team

Pastor Paul Robinson couldn't resist leaning over to tell me, "With the Brad Childress era, you're not going to have much to write about." Au contraire, Pastor Paul, there will always be knuckleheads in Vikings uniforms, although none of them was at this event.

Party animal

On Miami's South Beach, Minnesota native Christine Herberg partied with an animal a little different from the ones at her job.

Herberg, a marine mammal trainer at Theater of the Sea in the Florida Keys, attended a Paris Hilton album-release party at the nightclub Suite, put on by a radio station.

The album has since officially gone k-boom, but Herberg still got a great picture of Hilton on the dance floor.

"Everybody was taking pictures of her. She gave me a hug and said, Thanks for coming, and I said, 'Congratulations,' and the bodyguard whisked her away," said Herberg, who is a 2001 grad of the U of M Duluth, an Apple Valley High grad and daughter of a Strib colleague.

Herberg defended Hilton's album. "It wasn't bad, actually. She was in the DJ booth. She played songs for everybody. It was a fun album."

Back to the real word: Is Herberg's job as much fun as it sounds? "It is. We're all in it for the work. We don't make much money, but we love the job," said Herberg, who had a stint at the Duluth zoo.

Herberg said she had no comment on her new human party-animal friend getting picked up for allegedly driving under the influence, or as "Access Hollywood" host Nancy O'Dell put it, finally getting attention for doing something.

C.J. is at 612.332.TIPS or cj@[email protected]

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Re: More Vikings players have encounter with police

I knew it had to be something like this.. If was in a negative way, it would have been all over ESPN, and SportsCenter.. Good one Singer..

whiteviking24 is offline Pro-Bowler

Man...Singer you had me going!!!!

I was thinking Now What? and who?

It's always nice to get some positive publicity. Not enough of the good they do ever sees print.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Singer -- you rat! I had one heart attack three years ago. You just about gave me another one.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

I bet Cajun didn't even read this post...

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

"singersp" wrote:
    [size=13pt]Vikings team up with police, and this time it is all good[/size]

C.J., Star Tribune
    Last update: September 21, 2006 – 12:17 AM

Occasionally, a "What the ... ?" look flashed across the faces of Minnesota Vikings as passes sailed over their heads Tuesday at Catholic Charities' St. Joseph's Home for Children in Minneapolis.

Very quickly, Greg Blue, Jason Carter, Charles Gordon, Tarvaris Jackson, Spencer Johnson, Chris Kluwe, Jayme Mitchell, Tony Richardson and Khreem Smith recognized that their presence was igniting youthful exuberance.

The Vikings and the Minneapolis Police Department hosted a "Football and Life Clinic," where the fun had a couple of purposes.

"We are trying to [attract] the next generation of Minneapolis cops from Minneapolis; from the neighborhood," said police officer Mark Klukow. Klukow said he got the Vikings to donate 1,000 Nerf footballs stamped with the message, "Minneapolis Police Join Our Team."

Klukow sees the footballs as ice-breakers. "The perfect scenario would be for us to go around neighborhoods, where there are kids hanging out doing nothing, park our squads and play football awhile," Klukow said. "Now, at the end of that contact, we'll be able to give them the ball and we can kind of connect with that 15- or 16-year-old kid, who is on the edge as to whether they will fall down or keep their nose clean, and maybe aspire to become a cop."

It's much easier to become a cop than a professional athlete, Klukow said, but most kids don't believe that. And to be sure, there were some young athletic prospects at the clinic.

Rae'Quntashae, 10, flitted by like Jackie Joyner-Kersee. This kid was lightning fast -- perhaps too quick for her own good as she took some awkward steps to avoid stepping on a foam obstacle. Thank goodness Viking Tony Richardson was there to, ah, console the girl as she wiped away tears. "You did a good job on that drill," he said. "Walk it off." She thanked him, and when she was out of earshot, Richardson looked at me and said, "Put a little dirt on it; it'll be all right."

Rae'Quntashae brightened considerably when I told her she's got to love being faster than a lot of the boys. "I used to be on the football team; that's why," she said. Guess she's been told before to put dirt on it.

Good job, Jon, bad look

Jon Voss, who had a short-lived late-night sports show on KARE-11, is a youth counselor at the home. And he's still sporting that ridiculous chin hair that looks rougher than a squirrel's tail. "Come on, the ladies around here like it," Voss said. Well, let's ask a kid. "Makes him look good," said Claire, 10, although she also conceded that the beard has a touch of the animal world about it.

Pastor sees clean team

Pastor Paul Robinson couldn't resist leaning over to tell me, "With the Brad Childress era, you're not going to have much to write about." Au contraire, Pastor Paul, there will always be knuckleheads in Vikings uniforms, although none of them was at this event.

Party animal

On Miami's South Beach, Minnesota native Christine Herberg partied with an animal a little different from the ones at her job.

Herberg, a marine mammal trainer at Theater of the Sea in the Florida Keys, attended a Paris Hilton album-release party at the nightclub Suite, put on by a radio station.

The album has since officially gone k-boom, but Herberg still got a great picture of Hilton on the dance floor.

"Everybody was taking pictures of her. She gave me a hug and said, Thanks for coming, and I said, 'Congratulations,' and the bodyguard whisked her away," said Herberg, who is a 2001 grad of the U of M Duluth, an Apple Valley High grad and daughter of a Strib colleague.

Herberg defended Hilton's album. "It wasn't bad, actually. She was in the DJ booth. She played songs for everybody. It was a fun album."

Back to the real word: Is Herberg's job as much fun as it sounds? "It is. We're all in it for the work. We don't make much money, but we love the job," said Herberg, who had a stint at the Duluth zoo.

Herberg said she had no comment on her new human party-animal friend getting picked up for allegedly driving under the influence, or as "Access Hollywood" host Nancy O'Dell put it, finally getting attention for doing something.

C.J. is at 612.332.TIPS or [email protected]

I am so gullible. I get nervous everytime I see a topic like this! Oh well, at least it usually turns out to be ok!! lol

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

"VKG4LFE" wrote:
    I am so gullible. I get nervous everytime I see a topic like this! Oh well, at least it usually turns out to be ok!! lol
    It's a totally valid thread title & totally valid article. It's even in the Vikings fan forum.

It still doesn't top the "Vikings sign Edwards" thread.

oakmage is offline Starter

Yea you got me but still the sroty was very cool, I just wish we would hear more of stories like this and not like the stories like most of us was thinking was going to be on.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

GAH!!! You got me singer!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast