smootpepper is offline Pro-Bowler

More upside at Linebacker

Return To Form
    By BlueGoldNews.com
    Date: Jun 9, 2005

After spending a frustrating season recovering from shoulder surgery, Grant Wiley is looking to make his mark in the NFL with the Minnesota Vikings.

"It's so good to be back on the field playing instead of standing on the sidelines watching," former Mountaineer All-American Grant Wiley told BlueGoldNews.com. "I've been fully cleared to play, and I'm 100% and ready to go."

Wiley participated in the Vikings' first short mini-camp a couple of weeks ago, and is now taking part in their developmental camp.

"Everyone is at this camp," said the player who reset the standard for outstanding linebacker play at West Virginia. "It's a little different than the first mini-camp, because we only have one practice per day, but it's longer. We started last week, and are going thing week and part of next week. After that, we'll just lift and run until preseason camp begins next month."

Wiley got off to an impressive start with the Vikings during his rookie preseason last year, and appears to have picked up right where he left off in 2004.

"I talked with Coach Tice the other day, and he said he was happy with my progress," said Wiley, who is often his ouwn toughest critic. "I think I'm doing pretty well. I know most of the schemes and things I'm supposed to be doing, but I still learn something every day."

While sitting out last season, Wiley did as much studying as he could to learn the Minnesota defense, but as any player will tell you, there are some things you can't learn from watching video or studying a playbook. On-field repetitions are vital in grasping the little things that make the difference in being fully comfortable with a player's assignments, and Wiley admits that he is still picking up knowledge.

"It's a completely different defense from what we played at West Virginia, so I've had to re-learn everything," he continued. "I think it's coming along pretty well, though."

When the developmental camp ends next week, the players will be released to go their own way until preseason camps open in July, but Wiley doesn't plan to stray far from the Vikings'practice facility.

"In my situation, where I was injured last year, I want to keep my face around here," Wiley said. "I plan to keep working and running to get ready for the season."

Given Wiley's love of the game, it's likely that he would have remained at the Vikings camp to work out no matter what his situation. However, he understands the nature of the NFL business, and thus is taking every chance to grab the attention of the coaching staff as he battles for a spot on the roster. Take his performance to date, add in his work ethic and his level of play so far, and it certainly looks as if he is making all the right moves to realize his NFL dreams

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=159&p=2&c=386053&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a% 2f%2fwestvirginia.scout.com%2f2%2f386053.html

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Re: More upside at Linebacker

thats a good story to hear, we need more depth at LB its bye far our weekest side on our defense. The kid sounds determined I like that. I wonder How Dj is doin in KC?

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Talented backup players that can step in when needed are always valued here...keep working hard, Wiley!!! Your number will be called one day...be ready to step up and defend the honor of the team known as...the Minnesota VIKINGS!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

audioghost is offline Star Spokesman

Go Grant Wiley! I hope he turns out to be a beast......

A.G s HOTTEST NEW RAP CD: AUDIO GHOST & MAIN EVENT drop THE SEED: I made tha beats www.myspace.com/audioghost2006

DaunteHOF is offline Coach

the human side of football, awwwwwwwwwwnnn....
    Its not braggin if you can do it!!!