Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    So you agree with Webby, but not me even though we are saying the same thing?

This one is NOT whether we will still see stacked boxes (or not) with Toby, it's about us not seeing stacked boxes nearly as much with Toby in there as we would have with AD in there.

Thus the less predictability.
    But see, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying we could possibly see more.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Why wouldn't you stack the box against the Vikings ?
    They don't have a receiver that can take the top off the defense nor a line that can protect long enough for the play to develop.
    Add in a dink and dunk or check down charlie passing attack, along with a heavy reliance on a run game, and there is no incentive to not stack the box.
    Which back is playing isn't the major factor involved in how the defense lines up.
    I would like to see Musgrave occasionally get away from the bunched sets and also set up a vertical play to Simpson at least a couple times in each pre-season game.
    That might give defensive coordinators something else to think about.
    Give Ponder time to throw and Simpson beating coverage and this offense should look a lot different.

Josh007 is offline Waterboy
    Think Toby is going to have a great year and, yes, I do think opponents will start to stack the box against him that is why we need to get the passing game going!

Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    Why wouldn't you stack the box against the Vikings ?
    They don't have a receiver that can take the top off the defense nor a line that can protect long enough for the play to develop.
    Add in a dink and dunk or check down charlie passing attack, along with a heavy reliance on a run game, and there is no incentive to not stack the box.
    Which back is playing isn't the major factor involved in how the defense lines up.
    I would like to see Musgrave occasionally get away from the bunched sets and also set up a vertical play to Simpson at least a couple times in each pre-season game.
    That might give defensive coordinators something else to think about.
    Give Ponder time to throw and Simpson beating coverage and this offense should look a lot different.
    I kindof think we have a nice WR corps this year my friend.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Josh007 View Post
    Think Toby is going to have a great year and, yes, I do think opponents will start to stack the box against him that is why we need to get the passing game going!
    Good post.

Even though we will get the passing game going, you will still see stacked boxes though. As I've said repeatedly, teams do it all the time and that includes against teams that can pass.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    But see, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying we could possibly see more.
    You won't see more. With AD out defenses will believe we'll pass more, ergo less stacking of the box.

How often did teams stack the box when Chester Taylor was in there? Usually they were thinking pass simply because AD wasn't in there & because AD couldn't pass block, thus the need to bring in a RB who could.

Simply put, if you have a RB in the game who is more versatile, I.E. good runner, good blocker, good receiver, your offensive play is less predictable than if you have a RB in there that is more one dimensional, I.E. great runner, mediocre receiver, poor pass blocker.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12