Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Money?

Del Rio Guest

More Money?

Instead, Wilf made his quarterback happy - or, at least partially happy. Total contentment could be a ways off, based on Ashe's comments after Culpepper received the additional $7.5 million in guaranteed money. Rather than express gratitude that Wilf increased Culpepper's total guarantees to $22.5 million, Ashe called the contract restructuring "a respectable gesture for now" that was a "temporary solution" and "there is still more work to be done." He added that Culpepper was "still underpaid."

I was watching Sportscenter last night and caught a glimpse of them saying Culpepper is still somewhat unsatisfied with his new contract. Then I read this today from his agent.

What the hell has Culpepper done that justifies saying he is underpaid with 22.5 guaranteed straight cash homey?

How many division titles?
    How many playoff wins?

Does this bug anyone else?

ColoradoVike is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: More Money?

I guess it will bug me if it affects on-field play and locker-room/team dynamics. Until a few days ago, this issue seems to have been under wraps. It's bubbling to the surface and we'll have to see what happens before I can feel like I know enough to take a position.

right now, I figure that contracts for elite athletes are a bit like poker. I'd like to think that this "somewhat satisfied" posturing is just an attempt to make upping the ante a viable option after the season is done.

Really though, I am not surprised by this since the media has been going wild over Daunte the past few weeks. Plaudits like "MVP-caliber season" and "one of the best players at his position" can feed egos and stock the ammo room for agents who want to wring out more cash from their client's employers.

But I agree with you DR, the proof is in the pudding. Lets see how well Culpepper can marshall his team to stock up lots of Ws and surge through the playoffs undefeated. Being the best at your position with nothing to show for it but respect from others and back-slapping from the media shouldn't translate into $$$ rewards.

My hope is that this "somewhat satisfied" attitude is just hype. Culpepper needs to show that he can lead the team to wins and titles before he can toe this line into the (re)negotiating room.

6-KINGS Guest

"Del Rio" wrote:
    Instead, Wilf made his quarterback happy - or, at least partially happy. Total contentment could be a ways off, based on Ashe's comments after Culpepper received the additional $7.5 million in guaranteed money. Rather than express gratitude that Wilf increased Culpepper's total guarantees to $22.5 million, Ashe called the contract restructuring "a respectable gesture for now" that was a "temporary solution" and "there is still more work to be done." He added that Culpepper was "still underpaid."

I was watching Sportscenter last night and caught a glimpse of them saying Culpepper is still somewhat unsatisfied with his new contract. Then I read this today from his agent.

What the hell has Culpepper done that justifies saying he is underpaid with 22.5 guaranteed straight cash homey?

How many playoff wins?

Right on Del!

I see your point.
    But I really think he will deliver on the money return aspect.
    The man is awesome.
    And we are just 1 month away from knowing.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"Del Rio" wrote:

How many playoff wins?

This is what I was afraid of when I started posting in the original "Daunte might be unhappy...." thread (FOUND HERE).

At which point is Daunte going to realize that HE SIGNED A CONTRACT?!?!?!?!?!? Is having a single kazillion dollar athlete worth it if you can't get to - much less WIN - the big dance? I'd say it's not.

These prima-donna guys with their ever increasing demands - and claims of market value - are driving teams to be LESS competative. They are also screwing themselves out of any hope of a Superbowl appearance. How? As they demand an ever increasing percentage of the finite cap space available, that leaves less money available to sign other quality players.

So, answer me this, how is this situation any better than the one that T-Ho has created? Both players - in this situation - are saying that THEY are more important than the team. Sure, they may very well be the best players on their respective teams...but that really isn't enough.

Look at the highest paid QB's in the League: This represents their combined salary in 2004, as well as their cap value.

ÂÂ* Favre, Brett - Packers ------- $8,501,000 / $9,534,333
    ÂÂ*ÂÂ* Manning, Peyton - Colts ----- $35,037,700 / $8,304,366
    ÂÂ*ÂÂ* Vick, Michael - Falcons ------- $12,502,400 / $7,895,257
    ÂÂ*ÂÂ* McNabb, Donovan - Eagles --- $11,002,300 / $7,863,355
    ÂÂ*ÂÂ* Johnson, Brad - Buccaneers - $4,002,800 / $6,802,800
    ÂÂ*ÂÂ* Gannon, Rich - Raiders ------- $4,501,700 / $6,430,270
    ÂÂ*ÂÂ* Gray, Quinn - Jaguars -------- $235,600 / $6,235,600
    ÂÂ*ÂÂ* McNair, Steve - Titans -------- $6,750,910 / $5,691,317
    ÂÂ*ÂÂ* Romo, Tony - Cowboys ------- $309,000 / $5,572,939
    ÂÂ*ÂÂ* Hasselbeck, Matt - Seahawks - $5,504,800 / $5,504,800
    ÂÂ*ÂÂ* Brooks, Aaron - Saints -------- $3,500,000 / $5,483,333
    ÂÂ*ÂÂ* Pennington, Chad - Jets ------- $19,004,000 / $5,073,431
    ÂÂ*ÂÂ* Brady, Tom - Patriots ---------- $5,504,200 / $5,062,950
    ÂÂ*ÂÂ* Carr, David - Texans ---------- $664,000 / $4,952,773
    ÂÂ*ÂÂ* Green, Trent - Chiefs ---------- $3,895,000 / $4,443,808
    ÂÂ*ÂÂ* Bledsoe, Drew - Bills ----------- $8,752,800 / $4,419,466
    ÂÂ*ÂÂ* Fiedler, Jay - Dolphins --------- $3,775,000 / $4,395,796
    ÂÂ*ÂÂ* Harrington, Joey - Lions ------- $1,775,000 / $3,443,750
    ÂÂ*ÂÂ* Delhomme, Jake - Panthers ---- $7,735,000 / $3,401,666
    ÂÂ*ÂÂ* Kitna, Jon - Bengals ------------- $3,377,500 / $3,190,000
    ÂÂ*ÂÂ* Bulger, Marc - Rams ------------- $9,459,200 / $2,918,200
    ÂÂ*ÂÂ* Palmer, Carson - Bengals ------- $1,337,500 / $2,767,500
    ÂÂ*ÂÂ* Rivers, Philip - Chargers -------- $8,955,000 / $2,580,000
    ÂÂ*ÂÂ* Culpepper, Daunte - Vikings -- $1,037,300 / $2,458,865
    ÂÂ*ÂÂ* Brees, Drew - Chargers --------- $2,063,500 / $2,371,000
    ÂÂ*ÂÂ* Dilfer, Trent - Seahawks --------- $1,251,200 / $2,251,200
    ÂÂ*ÂÂ* Manning, Eli - Giants ------------- $4,744,000 / $2,244,000
    ÂÂ*ÂÂ* Brunell, Mark - Redskins --------- $9,364,300 / $2,197,633
    ÂÂ*ÂÂ* Leftwich, Byron - Jaguars -------- $8,399,000 / $2,132,665
    ÂÂ*ÂÂ* Warner, Kurt - Giants ------------- $3,000,400 / $2,000,400
    ÂÂ*ÂÂ* Flutie, Doug - Chargers ----------- $1,226,900 / $1,986,900

So, while I agree that Culpepper is worth more than he was being paid in 2004, at some point he has to realize that HE is not bigger than the team. And his driving focus has to be Superbowl, not salary.

Caine

jackyl is offline Hall of Famer

"Caine" wrote:
    And his driving focus has to be Superbowl, not salary.

That's what every fan of a team would love to have, but the fact is that to players, coaches and owners, it's a business first before it's a game.

Del Rio Guest

I peaked in the other thread and saw some jawing, but I never looked at the original topic.

I agree with you Caine. That would be my argument how the hell is this any different then TO.

The main difference is Pepper isn't taking time off, he isn't making a huge deal out of this to the public.

But under it all the guy apparently wants more money. He's damn good, and I am glad to have him as our QB but there has to be some point where the management says how about you win us something and then we will talk.

Until then I think what you have can feed your family and pay your bills.

That's the only thing that really irks me is the guy hasn't won anything for the team. He made a fe pro-bowls, and gets 4,000+ yards a game. He had a nice chunk of change already and he wants more money either based on

:stats
    :what he may or may not do in the future.

Del Rio Guest

"jackyl" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    And his driving focus has to be Superbowl, not salary.

That's what every fan of a team would love to have, but the fact is that to players, coaches and owners, it's a business first before it's a game.
    What's sad is we are the one's who pay them all. You take away the NFL you still have football fans. You take away the fans you have nothing. No bling, no caddy, nada. That is why as a fan I expect something in return for the fat azz paycheck I helped give a player.

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

It dosnt bother me when u look and see, hes improved every year, and last year....honestly, his stats are fucin crazy.....Hes without a doubt the second best qb in the nfl. I think culpepper isnt gonna starve to death if he dosnt get more money, but if they wanna give him more, well then he deserves it...IMO

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

nsavarirayan is offline Rookie

I think Pepp would have won us a few more games had the D not collapsed so many times last year. Hell if not for Manning the guy is the MVP last year. Hell the only thing he needs to do better is hold on to the football. I think this guy will be at the top again this year and put up big numbers - and he will have earned that increase in salary.

MNVikingGangsta Guest

i have a problem with him asking for it right now but i do like the way hes handled it. if he has another great year then by all means we should pay him amongst the best in the game but daunte hasn't played a single down without the best receiver in the game. i have all the faith in the world in daunte but i need to see him perform at at high level when he doesn't have randy for him to be paid like the other top QBs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast