More to Birk than meets the eye

More to Birk than meets the eye

BOB SANSEVERE, Pioneer Press Columnist

Training camp cranks up for the Vikings at the end of the month, and you will be learning all sorts of things about all sorts of players. Of course, there are some players you already know plenty about.

Anyway, you think you know plenty. But there is a lot you don't know. Take Matt Birk.

Most Vikings fans know Birk grew up in St. Paul, graduated from Cretin-Derham Hall and went off to Harvard, where he played football and got a degree in economics.

Many also know he used to give stock tips on a local radio station and wears the same T-shirt every day of training camp.

But how many know he once cheated on a test at Harvard? Or that he and his brothers used to steal candy? Or that he claims to eat a spicy shredded burrito from Chipotle every day of the week?

There's a lot more to Matt Birk than you may know. Or may want to know.

Consider: He once was so drunk in college he relieved himself in his roommate's clothes drawer.

"On his shirts," Birk says. "When I'm drinking, I like to drink the hard stuff. Johnnie Walker. Jack Daniels. I just drink it with water or soda. The sugar in mixed drinks will mess you up. That's a great tip."

Here's another great tip: If you're going to steal candy, as Birk did from a candy store in his Highland neighborhood when he was about 8 years old, throw out the wrappers after you're done wolfing down the candy.

"My two younger brothers were my partners in crime," Birk says. "My parents found all the wrappers. They busted us and grounded us."

Birk never did get busted when he cheated at Harvard. Until now.

"I don't want Harvard to revoke my degree, but here's what happened. We had a final coming up, and guys on the lacrosse team were going to the NCAA tournament, so they took the test early. It kind of got out what was on the test," Birk says. "I still got a C-minus."

He gets an A-plus, though, for persistence. Get a load of how he met his wife, Adrianna.

"She was in college working at Key's Café, and I was single and liked to eat. I would go in there quite often, and that's how we met," Birk says.

Adrianna was a waitress, and Birk made sure to sit at a table in her section.

"I'd keep sucking down ice teas so she'd have to keep refilling the glass," he says. "I'd go there four times a week. I'd talk to her and get some grub."

Picture this now. Birk is 6-foot-4 and 300 pounds, and one of the best centers in the NFL. There's nobody he fears on the football field. Yet he ate a lot of grub before mustering the nerve to ask Adrianna out.

"I probably ate there 50 times before I asked," he says. "We were married eight months after we started dating."

And now they have a 2-year-old daughter, Madison. Birk changes diapers, by the way. But only when the sun is up.

"I don't know if I'm proud to say it, but I've never gotten up in the middle of the night with Madison," Birk says. "Once I fall asleep, a freight train could come through the bedroom and I wouldn't know it."

Birk does know this (and now you will, too): If he could swap places with any teammate, it would be quarterback Daunte Culpepper.

"Just to see what it's like to be the superstar quarterback and have all those women ogling you," he said.

He already knows what it is like to be mistaken for another teammate.

"Half the time people think I'm Chris Hovan. They say, 'Hey, Hovan,' " Birk says. "The other day, somebody came up and said, 'You're Todd Steussie, right?' Todd Steussie? He hasn't been with the Vikings for years."

Over the years, Birk had worked a variety of jobs, including caddy, forklift driver, movie theater ticket-taker and member of a bathroom cleaning crew. He did all that before he became a pro football player.

His dream job: Professional bass fisherman.

"If I wasn't married and not playing football, that's what I'd want," Birk says. "But I'm married and have a kid and have to pay the bills. I love to fish, I'm just not very good."

As we speak, Birk is in Canada fishing for walleye with former Twins star Kent Hrbek. They're filming a segment for Hrbek's upcoming TV show about fishing and hunting.

And speaking of TV, don't ever invite Birk over to watch "Survivor" or "The Apprentice" or any other reality TV show.

"Reality TV is going to be the downfall of the human race," he says. "I hate it. I hate reality TV."

He isn't too fond of President George W. Bush, either. Or John Kerry.

"I'm for (Ralph) Nader," Birk says. "I hate politics and all the b.s. associated with politics. I'm definitely not liberal, but I can't stand politics. I don't like the two-party system."

He doesn't like people who are rude or mean, either. Those people are his pet peeve.

"It's just as easy," he says, "to be nice as to be a jerk."

And now it's also easier to say you know plenty about Matt Birk.

Bob Sansevere can be reached at [email protected]

Re: More to Birk than meets the eye

And speaking of TV, don't ever invite Birk over to watch "Survivor" or "The Apprentice" or any other reality TV show.

"Reality TV is going to be the downfall of the human race," he says. "I hate it. I hate reality TV."

He isn't too fond of President George W. Bush, either. Or John Kerry.

"I'm for (Ralph) Nader," Birk says. "I hate politics and all the b.s. associated with politics. I'm definitely not liberal, but I can't stand politics. I don't like the two-party system."

i knew i liked matt for a reason! lol
    "ted nugent called. he wants his shirt back."-george clooney, ocean s eleven