Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni

A Monument to Brett Favre

I knew this would drive you all crazy. Mwuhahahahahahahaha!

http://greenbaypressgazette.packersnews.com/archives/news/pack_16242220.shtml

Wisconsin native envisions Favre’s games streak as high art

By Sean Schultz

Brett Favre’s streak — starting 208 consecutive games as the Green Bay Packers’ quarterback — sets him apart from other athletes and makes him a hero to Packers fans.

But one fan, a native of Kiel, sees more to that streak than a scoreboard. He sees it as art.

Tim Laun’s “Favre Era Shrine” was unveiled in model scale April 23 for a monthlong exhibit at Parker’s Box, a Brooklyn gallery.

This preliminary “low-tech” model is made from foam core, photographs, a computer and one fan’s realization that Favre’s tenure “is a real meaningful, cultural thing.”

He built it for fans and players “who kind of transcend the game,” Laun added. And he built it for Favre, whom fans idolize “for his legacy, determination and endurance. That was the starting point for this project.”

Laun sees his concept, on which a patent is pending, as “a monument to celebrate Favre’s accomplishments and the whole era.”

It’s a monument, too, to kids like Laun, the Kiel boy who grew up, like thousands of other Wisconsinites, reserving Sunday afternoons and Monday nights for Packers games.

Laun points out his own streak: the last game this 30-year-old missed was when he was in eighth grade. Even as a New Yorker since 1996, he gets himself to a Packers bar to watch every game the team plays.

The last time he got a Packers’ autograph, though, was when his dad took him to the Piggly Wiggly store in Sheboygan. They stood in line to get Don Majkowski’s John Henry.

The artist said the concept came to him when he compared the sports fan phenomenon among Packers fans to those who support other sports and teams in the United States and abroad.

“If the Giants and the Jets are not playing well, nobody gets real invested, nobody cares,” Laun said. But Europeans regard their teams as Packers fans do, with “a strong following by the fans and pride of where you come from.”

The exhibit, he said, “says as much about the culture as it does about Brett Favre. That’s why I can call it art; it’s not one thing, it’s several things.”

Laun found his calling as a painter in Kiel High School art classes. He went on to the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point for his bachelor’s degree in studio arts. He took just one computer graphics class at Point, but it set the course for his future.

At 22, he left Wisconsin to earn a master’s degree in fine arts at Hunter College in New York City.

There he would depart from traditional art forms such as painting and sculpture to pursue his technology leanings and create his art with computers.

“Most artists in my generation don’t think of it as anything different than a pencil or brush,” he said.

The shrine is a concept he can’t afford to build himself since it involves 208 TVs for an actual installation, plus NFL footage to capture each game in Favre’s continuum.

Instead of the technology, “I found photos for every game for a mock up and built it in my studio,” Laun said.

The result is a 110-inch-wide photo of the concept he envisions. The concept calls for TV screens to be mounted in a 360-degree setting. Viewers would surround themselves with images that would provide the feel of the crowd and the athletes on any given game day. He sees earphones attached to each monitor so the roar of the crowd and the whistles of officials could enhance the mood.

“They could walk into this place and see it all at one time and in one place,” Laun said. “They could reflect on what they were doing the first time they saw a game.” And those who never saw Favre throw a football “would get something from it.”

Laun’s project has gone from an idea to a mockup in an art exhibit. Recently, he’s been in contact with a Green Bay businessman who is also part-owner of the Brooklyn gallery. They’re trying to work out a deal to bring the concept to Green Bay. Laun hopes for the support of the Packers, Favre and likely the NFL if it is ever to come to life as a bona fide exhibit.

When he’s not paying artistic homage to America’s Pack, Laun is studio manager and adjunct professor in Hunter College’s Master of Fine Arts program.
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Welcome to the NFC North.

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

thats pretty disgusting... I think I'm gonna lose my lunch

purplehorn is offline Hall of Famer

Sounds pretty goofy I think that fellow might be
    goofy too.
    Green Bay police station toilet stolen.

Cops say they have nothing to go on.

ukeright: ukeright: ukeright:

dude needs a hobby...lol.
    "ted nugent called. he wants his shirt back."-george clooney, ocean s eleven

owensforpres is offline Pro-Bowler

i want a monument too lol
    699966daa73d890a9f6ec440ad82bccc

CVGVIKE is offline Pro-Bowler

LOL.....How lame can one get!

RandyMoss8404 is offline Hall of Famer

Here's a preview of it I found:

Not quite 110 inches, but you get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWgAayphx7Y
    "He s done it! Portugal is through!"

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

LOL!!!! thats great

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

I really liked that one there Randymoss8404!! Very nice!! I'm sorry los, but man I hate anything that has to do with the damn packers and there, at times, very moronic fans!!!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

VIKE58 is offline Pro-Bowler

Well I guess that proves that the weird get weirder when they end up in New York :!: The boy needs to get a real job :!: :lol:
    GO VIKINGS GO !!!! AND THE PACK STILL BLOWS !!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast