Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Pirates4Vikings is offline Training Camp

Re: Monday Night Football on ESPN. Graded by Mr. Anderson

Unfortunately those stats (provided by Singersp) are going to speak the loudest to the network idiots. I can already hear them saying 'Wow, they must be a taslented group in the press box!' or some stupid crap like that. Never mind that it was on at 7 EST and football fever is rampant on opening weekend. Dating WAY back, I honestly can't remember any time when announcers in general weren't biased against the Vikings, except the 15-1 season when everyone was on the 'wagon, even John Madden (but even then there was the Denver overshadowing). I've tuned them (and pre-game shows) out for so many years now.
    I was at the game so I'll have to weigh in next week on the announcing crew and MNF telecasts overall. I did call my brother from the parking lot after the game and the first thing he said was 'if I see Tom Cruise and Jamie Foxx one more <expletive> time, I'm gonna cancel my <expletive> cable!!'. I didn't even know they were there. Nor did I care.
    I can tell you from a stadium prospective, they NEVER showed a replay unless it was a good play by the Redskins. Even the Redskin fans were mad they didn't show the Taylor hit on replay because none of them thought it should have been a penalty. I overheard the guy behind me (Skins fan) tell his friend (another Skins fan) that because they won't show the replay, it means it was a penalty.
    EJ - you're dead on about that facemask penalty. I had a perfect view and saw (our) Taylor's head jerk around. I can excuse that call because there were a lot of people around them and I am of the belief that Adam isn't a real dirty player. That may have been a non-call based on reputation.
    Big C - the hit on WR Brandon Lloyd wasn't called because he made a move (jumped up, outstretched his arms) to catch the ball. Had he let it sail over his head, it would have been a penalty if Blue still hit him (I learned that at the game - I guess it happened last year or the year before to the Skins). I thought for sure it was going to get called anyway.
    It is the first week of the season so even the refs have kinks to work out. I'm more concerned about the announcers if it's as bad as everyone is saying. Oh, well - we're still 1-0 with a road win!!!

Cheers!
    (I'm sorry - I think I'm out of toasts that shouldn't be said outside of the two beer minimum forum!!)
    ;D
    Who needs a Daunte when you have a Big Johnson?

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Mr Anderson

Very good critique of the broadcast and i couldn't agree more, the only thing that you didn't address and should have which drove me up the wall was the length of their commercial breaks!

They had commercial breaks that were longer than the Superbowl commercial breaks, and it took away from the game.
    When you have a 3 minute break after a touchdown to get to an extra point it is ridiculous and distracts from the flow of the game, I understand they paid a lot for their new contract for Monday night football but come on charge more per commercial and reduce your break times.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

"Mr" wrote:
    I watched the ESPN Debut of Monday Night Football... it was terrible.

Penalties, celebrities, replays, the scoreboard, hometown refs and announcers, as well as female sideline reporters are all on my list, and I'm not happy.

I will argue to no end if I dont get confirmation of a penalty, it makes me INSANE to see Tom Cruise, Katie Holmes, Snyder, and Jamie Foxx after every single play instead of a penalty replay. Prove to me that it's a hold, tell me what made it an illegal formation, show me a block in the back, and for christ's sake, HOW CAN YOU NOT SHOW A REPLAY ON UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCT?!

I also think there was a lot of hometown calls, there was only 1 penalty against the Skins in the first half, defensive holding on a pass to Wiggins.And there WAS a replay for that. I counted 3 other missed penalty calls that were very easy to see, one on the first Randel El punt return, a clear holding on a portis run, and a block in the back on a kickoff, but none were called. I know there are plenty of missed calls in the NFL, but if the refs are good enough to spot every single penalty against the Vikings, they can spot more than one obvious one against the Redskins.

I thought the scoreboard was too large, and too high off the bottom of the screen. The celebrity problem I already discussed, but another part of that, is the fact that they can postpone a commercial break while Jamie Foxx is in the boxx
    :P , but have to go to commercial before and after every kick. Going to the Female Sidline reporters really pissed me off too, they did it far too often, and at times it seemed so forced. The announcers, Kornheiser and Theismann specifically were totally bias, Korny lived in Washington most of his life working as a writer, and Theismann played for the Skins, you could clearly tell who they were rooting for, and it was really annoying.

Speaking of annoying, Tony Kornheiser's jokes, 95% of them were terribly unfunny, most of them were about how old Brad Johnson is, or about Wiggins hurdling someone. He had one funny joke, which may have pissed some people off, but it was pretty funny, it was when he was talking about Cruise and Snyder as business partners, and how they should make a Mission Impossible the Ride at Six Flags, he went on to say "Maybe they can make Rain Man ride, but that might be too slow for some people." That was quite funny IMO, but he later had to bring up the "Love Boat", God forbid we can go one game without hearing about that, I was pretty sure that was all water under the bridge now, but apparently not.

The 10 minute mini movie intro w/ Michael Huff, and LT, and a few other raiders and Vikes was absolutely stupid and unnecessary. They then did the MNF opening song, 15 minutes of intro, leading directly to kickoff is ridiculous.
    However, the Halftime show was very good, I especially liked what I heard out of John Gruden, Ricky Waters, and Tiki Barber.

Overall I give the ESPN MNF broadcast a grade of D, and that is only because of the halftime show.

ESPN sure is lucky the Vikings won that game, if they hadn't this grade would have been a lot lower, and I would have pointed out NO positive aspects, kind of like they do when they analyze the Vikings team.
    If I hear that Ask Tony music anymore, I will snap and send death rays with my eyes at the screen and hope the producer and Tony get so scared they never return.
    Only then can I watch MNF again.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Those tv executives are trying to turn it into an infomercial!
    I have all but quit watching Nascar due to their overwhelming number of commercials. Cue the duck dipstick!

I hope it doesn't get any worse than it already is in football. It's the commercials during the game that get to me the most.

I mean this is cable not free tv.

How much do they think we are going to take?
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

That's pretty funny Webby.
    The other thing I didn't like was some of the views that were broadcasting.
    Sometimes it made it very difficult to see the play develope.
    I hated some of the angles.

marantzo is offline Rookie

Where in the hell is the replay? I want to see that penalty!

National announcers don't refer to one team as 'we', rookie!

Who gives a sh*t about Cruise and his wife, there's a game going on!

Stop that endless chat with Foxx, you're missing a play for God sake!

It's so nice to see the three of you having such a friendly conversation. When I want to see Oprah I'll watch Oprah, I want to see the bloody game!!

You have a good voice and a nice personality for a play-by-play guy, but I suggest you watch the game more. Wrong yardage, wrong score, wrong down!

Just a few of the things I was yelling at my TV screen on Monday night. I guess you know how I rated the broadcast.

Json is offline GM

I would have preferred Dick Vermiel and Jaws announcing the Vikings game rather then the Raiders game.
    I like Vermiel cause he is just coming out of being a coach and he knows alot of the players and coaches on the field.
    He makes the commentary more personal in the sense that he actually has a clue about whats really going on.

GFreeman44 is offline Rookie

"whackthepack" wrote:
    Mr Anderson

Very good critique of the broadcast and i couldn't agree more, the only thing that you didn't address and should have which drove me up the wall was the length of their commercial breaks!

They had commercial breaks that were longer than the Superbowl commercial breaks, and it took away from the game.
    When you have a 3 minute break after a touchdown to get to an extra point it is ridiculous and distracts from the flow of the game, I understand they paid a lot for their new contract for Monday night football but come on charge more per commercial and reduce your break times.
    This is becoming more and more annoying.
    I don't ever remember so many commercials and commercial breaks.
    But I do understand that they have to make money, and it is the Monday night opener.
    That's why im glad Monday night is ova!
    1-0
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bs.

"Mr" wrote:
    "slavinator" wrote:
    I couldnt agree more with your statements of how professional journalists had a biased slant all game and the star cameo's throughout the game were at best annoying.
    Why they couldnt save all that crap for the snooze fest of a second game I will never know.

Kornheiser, Theisman, and Tirico are not even close to the old MNF game crews.
    I would even rather listen to Dan Dierdorf or Bill Maas than those idiots (and I cannot stand Dierdorf or Maas).

I will add that although NBC has Madden and Michaels their coverage is sub-par as well.
    IN the Sunday night game you couldnt even hear them down near the field cuz the music was so loud in Pittsburgh.
    It was all worth it to watch those 2 Culpepper picks to seal the game though.
    I actually really enjoy watching the games on NBC, it's a nice clean setup, no big graphics or anything, and the picture looks sharper to me on NBC, I think the video feed is better overall, the football knowledge of the announcers is high, and as annoying as madden can be at times, I think that Al Michaels is a great announcer, and really works to balance him out, I love the NBC feeds, I'd like to watch all of our games on there.

"Big" wrote:
    I agree with most of your comments.

However, I thought the 1st Taylor personal foul penalty (hitting defenseless WR) was a little harsh when Greg Blue nailed an outstretched Washington WR on the sidelines as the ball flew way over the WRs head in the final drive. If that got flagged we would have lost the game. So, bad calls went both ways.

I wasn't paying too much attention to the commentary but one from Kornhesier was a classic. It was referring to the botched hold attempt. The line was something like "Wow, Chris didn't have a Kluwe". That just cracked me up.
    I'm pretty sure the first Taylor personal foul, wasn't because he hit a "defenseless" receiver, that happens all the time, they called it because he lead with he helmet. You could clearly see the mark on his helmet where he made contact, you get like a little plastic film of the opposing teams uniform or helmet on it, that happened to me a lot when I played football, but that second facemask was unmistakable, and by no means the first time he's facemasked, he gets flagged like 20 times a season for a 15 yarder.
    I like the NBC actual game coverage as well as it is more football predicated.
    The only difference from the ABC coverage is Costas and crew down by the field.
    That was the only issue I had with the NBC coverage, they just couldnt figure out how to get the audio right for those segments with Costas.

UTVikfan is offline Coordinator

Theisman was never good at announcing. Kornhole, is less funny than Dennis Miller. I wanna watch the game and the replays. Thank goodness I can turn the sound down. I left it up for the Vikes game, lol, hoping in vain maybe they would say who did what, or confirm penalties. I had guessed that ESPN would make MNF worse than the sunday night game with the "Three Stooges" was. Never did I guess they would be even worse than I imagined. Commercials? Have all you want. I have Tivo and lag the game so I can fastforward through them. I can't stand commercials anymore. Any TV without pause and FF is now broken in my eyes.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast