singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Moe Williams’ injury affects work load

Vikings Notebook: Williams’ injury affects work load

By DAVE CAMPBELL AP Sports Writer, The Forum (From: In-Forum Sports)
    Published Thursday, October 27, 2005

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. – Though he’s not listed on the injury report anymore, the role of veteran Moe Williams has been reduced to blocking on third down because of the knee injury that kept him out Oct. 2 against Atlanta.

“He doesn’t have enough push in that leg yet for us to really give him the ball,� Tice said.

Rookie Ciatrick Fason, for now, has replaced Williams as the short-yardage carrier.

The Vikings experimented with a few different formations last Sunday, especially early in the game – beginning in a no-back, five-receiver set and then moving to an I-formation with backup tight end Richard Owens the lead blocker for Mewelde Moore.

One benefit of the ‘I’ – a more traditional formation – is an opportunity for the offensive linemen to block more aggressively with an extra body assigned to clearing space at the line of scrimmage.

Vikings try to improve red-zone offense

Though the offense improved last week in all phases – communication, blocking, rushing and passing – the Vikings are still lagging in their efficiency inside the 20-yard line.

“I’m concerned about it, but not to the point where I don’t think we can score touchdowns,� Tice said.

Minnesota ranks third-tolast in the league in this category, with only four touchdowns and eight field goals in 17 possessions inside the 20.

One thing they’re trying to do is mix their play calls to create a better balance between throw and run. Before the Green Bay game, Tice estimated the red-zone plays had been about 70 percent rushing.

Defense likely to stay in 3-4 configuration

The Minnesota Vikings switched to a 3-4 defense as their primary scheme because of injuries, but their success playing it will probably prompt them to make it a permanent change.

With an extra linebacker on the field, it’s automatically a faster unit. The key, though, is getting the front three to consistently penetrate the line – something they’ve done so far.

“I knew if the guys executed it correctly, like anything it would be all right,� said coordinator Ted Cottrell, who used the 3-4 exclusively in Buffalo from 1998-2000.

Tice avoids talking about Kevin Williams

For the first time at one of his news conferences in more than two weeks, Tice was not questioned about the ongoing investigation – or any matter related to it. He was, however, asked for a comment on the disorderly conduct case involving defensive tackle Kevin Williams – who pleaded guilty Tuesday to that charge, which stems from a domestic dispute with his wife.

The coach shook his head, pleading for a change in the subject: “Can we for one day just talk about football, period? How about today? Let’s make today a day when we just talk about football.�

Thomas questionable for Sunday’s game

Except for players who are on injured reserve and finished for the season, notably special teams standout Willie Offord, center Matt Birk and defensive end Kenechi Udeze, the Vikings have healed pretty well as October comes to close.

Backup linebacker Dontarrious Thomas, questionable for Sunday’s game at Carolina because of an injured right shoulder that kept him out last week against Green Bay, participated in all of Wednesday’s practice and is progressing well, according to athletic trainer Chuck Barta.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Moe Williams’ injury affects work load

Fason will get his chance to prove himself on short-yardage plays. It's a start, but there finally working him into the game until Moe gets healthy.

If he wants to make a big impression, he'd better do it right away!

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

DEEP PURPLE is offline Starter

Get him the rock!!! It can't be any worse than it has been in the redzone. Hey, you never know maybe he'll show he's the diamond in the rough we were hoping for.
    If I hear Michelle Bonner say "He works that one to right" one more time, I m getting on a plane for Bristol, going to the ESPNEWS set, and ripping out her vocal cords.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

that info in bold is fantastic. fason, hopefully, can do something. as long as he doesnt turn the ball over, i will be happy with what he contributes.
    We're bringing purple back.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

I am excited to see his stuff.

He will come in and play hard given that has not had any opportunities this year to shine.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

Great to see Fason get a chance to play, too bad its a Moe's expense.

Looks like Bennett is on punt team now with his tackle last week....Micheal don't screw up we are watching you :violent1:

really like to see our rookies get a chance to show their stuff, hope James gets a shot at a sack or 2 this week and Troy a pair of TD's