Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by 2beersTommy View Post
    the guys you want will be gone by the 5th pick..
    I know, I did a minny mock up to our pick in one of these threads. It is not looking good unless you like Bridgewater, there may be a chance (small chance) he will be there at 8. I like him least of the three that are mentioned going in the top of the draft.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Of the top 4, I like Carr least by a long shot. His stats are inflated by the style of offense and the fact he played vs. lower competition. In his bowl game vs. USC he did not look good at all, and they weren't a great team this year either. Maybe, he wows at the Combine in the passing drills, but I don't feel like he is a first round pick with what I've seen so far.

Unfortunately for us, most of the mocks I'm seeing have the top 3 QBs gone by the 4th or 5th pick. IF that happens I really hope we draft an immediate difference maker for our defense and play the 2nd tier QB game in the 2nd, 3rd and/or 4th rounds. Ie. draft 2 projects later instead of putting too much pressure on a reach at 8 overall. Specially with all of our needs stacked up to fix the defense which tied for most passing TDs ever allowed in a season.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Here's an example that I like way better than ye ole reach for the next best QB prospect way too early...and, compete with a couple of realistic trades.

2014 NFL Mock Draft: Blake Bortles the new No. 1 pick - SBNation.com

We score a potential super-star LB in the first with Khalil Mack [100 tackles, 10.5 sacks, 3 INTs and 7 passes defended in 13 games in 2013!] and then our QB of the future possibility with Garoppolo in the 2nd. Way better than reaching for that QB in the first and then settling for lesser players on defense too...in other words, lesser talent at two positions of need!?!

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    We don't need a LB nearly as bad as we need a CB and safety. We were in Nickle 73% of the time last season. Our other OLB saw almost no playing time last season. Since we are moving to an aggressive front. Having 2 larger bump and run guys and Rhodes in the slot would be huge for us. Not to mention, we now have 2 play making safeties. Give out young talented but flawed LBs chance to learn. Next season we would add a talented DT or safety and then address Oline and WRs.
    1) I say trade back to middle of the first (15th - 20th). Pick up and extra 3rd.
    2) Select HA-HA (S) or Ra'shede Hageman (DT)
    3) Select Grappolo with our 2nd
    4) Trade back into the 2nd round late 2 3rds to select Pierre Desir CB
    5) Select Stanley- Jean-baptiste (6-3 CB from Nebraska)

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    We don't need a LB nearly as bad as we need a CB and safety. We were in Nickle 73% of the time last season. Our other OLB saw almost no playing time last season. Since we are moving to an aggressive front. Having 2 larger bump and run guys and Rhodes in the slot would be huge for us. Not to mention, we now have 2 play making safeties. Give out young talented but flawed LBs chance to learn. Next season we would add a talented DT or safety and then address Oline and WRs.
    1) I say trade back to middle of the first (15th - 20th). Pick up and extra 3rd.
    2) Select HA-HA (S) or Ra'shede Hageman (DT)
    3) Select Grappolo with our 2nd
    4) Trade back into the 2nd round late 2 3rds to select Pierre Desir CB
    5) Select Stanley- Jean-baptiste (6-3 CB from Nebraska)
    Curious why you keep trying to put Rhodes in at nickel. I don't believe he has any experience in this role and he has shown that he is a good press cover corner on the outside.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Curious why you keep trying to put Rhodes in at nickel. I don't believe he has any experience in this role and he has shown that he is a good press cover corner on the outside.
    I believe he has the quick twitch you need to cover the slot. Dealing with a free release is often hard. He is good at press and an ideal skill set would be to get a guy that at press to still be able to get a hand on the slot guy at the LOS.

I am also going big corners at the outside position and he would be the most agile of they two. Like i said, we need 3 starting Cbs. I wouldn't bench Rhodes for Sherels.

313zoe is offline Starter
    Blog Entries

Mock's Have Us Taking Carr

I would be mad if we draft Carr wit that 8th pick i really dnt like his ass to me it's all hype and there other QB's out there we could target in another round like that kid Jimmy Garoppolo I think Turner can have him playing at a high level

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    I believe he has the quick twitch you need to cover the slot. Dealing with a free release is often hard. He is good at press and an ideal skill set would be to get a guy that at press to still be able to get a hand on the slot guy at the LOS.

I am also going big corners at the outside position and he would be the most agile of they two. Like i said, we need 3 starting Cbs. I wouldn't bench Rhodes for Sherels.
    Rhodes is 6'1, 210lbs with a 40.5" vertical. How big do you want them?

A lot of folks were clamoring for Josh Robinson to play nickel before the year started because they thought his quickness would be ideal. Not so much it turns out.

IMO, the nickel corner is more instinct and technique than it is athletic. We saw AW flourish in this role for this reason.

Rhodes may be a good nickel, but I don't believe he has any experience to date to validate it. He does have a large body of success playing outside corner which is a premium, so I would be hesitant moving him out of that role.

2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by 313zoe View Post
    I would be mad if we draft Carr wit that 8th pick i really dnt like his ass to me it's all hype and there other QB's out there we could target in another round like that kid Jimmy Garoppolo I think Turner can have him playing at a high level
    saw a mock today where we got the LB from buffalo with the 8th, and Garoppolo with our 2nd rounder..

2014 NFL Mock Draft: Blake Bortles the new No. 1 pick - SBNation.com
    Last edited by 2beersTommy; 01-27-2014 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Rhodes is 6'1, 210lbs with a 40.5" vertical. How big do you want them?

A lot of folks were clamoring for Josh Robinson to play nickel before the year started because they thought his quickness would be ideal. Not so much it turns out.

IMO, the nickel corner is more instinct and technique than it is athletic. We saw AW flourish in this role for this reason.

Rhodes may be a good nickel, but I don't believe he has any experience to date to validate it. He does have a large body of success playing outside corner which is a premium, so I would be hesitant moving him out of that role.
    I agree completely. Leave Rhodes outside where he is comfortable and already looks good. Hell, Josh Robinson looked better out there too. I say sign a vet guy to be the nickel because it takes experience to develop the instinct and anticipation required to cover that many route possibilities.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast