Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Prophet Guest

MMQ has Vikings and Patriots in big dance....need new ending

The following is an excerpt from MMQ article at SI...good story, but wrong ending. Who wants to write the correct ending?

--------------------------------------------------

...The game was better than the final score sounded. "I think everyone expected us to come in and play like the old Vikings -- you know, to fold in the clutch,' said coach Mike Tice, rewarded during the week with a new five-year, $6 million contract, making him the 24th-highest-paid coach in the NFL. But Minnesota chased Brady all over the field during a rough first half for the Pats, forcing the QB to the locker room after the vicious Williams sack on the first play of New England's third drive of the game. Up to that point, the teams had traded first-quarter touchdowns -- a two-yard Brady pass to Watson for New England, a 69-yard bomb from Daunte Culpepper to rookie speedster Troy Williamson. For one series he missed, Brady gave way to the ageless Doug Flutie, who completed all three of his pass attempts -- for 49 yards -- and scrambled twice more for 36 yards, leading to a 23-yard Adam Vinatieri field goal.

"That will not be my last moment in the sun,' said Flutie, 43, who said after the game he is determined to be the first grandfather in NFL history to play in the league.

Vinatieri added two more second-quarter field goals, while the Vikings scored 10 second-quarter points on a Paul Edinger 56-yarder and a 56-yard burst around left end by rookie running back phenom Ciatrick Fason. At the half, Minnesota led 17-16.

Several Patriots said Belichick was particularly serene at halftime. "About the worst thing he said to the defense was, 'You guys are playing like dog dung,'" said defensive end Richard Seymour. "He's been here before. We've been here before. We took a chill pill at halftime and knew we'd get it right in the third quarter.'

They got it right all right. The Patriots allowed just three first downs in the second half to the powerful Vikings offense, and Culpepper, who won his first NFL MVP award last month -- a specially meaningful honor for him considering most of the free world thought Minnesota would collapse without Randy Moss this year -- led the Vikes to only 64 second-half yards. New England played its strange no-defensive-lineman front, with linebackers Chad Brown and Tedy Bruschi spearheading the lightning-quick New England D. Bruschi led the way with 14 tackles and a sack of Culpepper. "Not bad for a guy everyone thought would retire, huh?' Bruschi said afterward.

"You thought you'd retire,' he was told.

"Oh yeah,' said Bruschi, who put off retirement despite a minor offseason stroke. "You're right.'

The fourth quarter was all Brady's ... with an assist to midseason acquisition Shaun Alexander. The Patriots gave up a second-round pick to acquire the former Seahawks holdout after Corey Dillon went down with a knee injury just before the trading deadline. Alexander contributed 62 fourth-quarter yards (and 94 total, on 23 carries) to ensure Brady wouldn't be a one-man team.

Brady's first touchdown of the quarter, an out route at the corner of the end zone, came over linebacker Napoleon Harris from eight yards out with 13:15 left in the game. That gave the Pats a 23-17 lead. After Minnesota went three-and-out and punted, New England ate up the clock like no team ever had in a Super Bowl. Going 93 yards in 18 plays -- and milking 10:02 off the clock -- Brady climaxed the drive with a 1-yard touchdown pass to Troy Brown.

Incredibly fitting, then, that Brown, forced into his 2004 nickel-back role again because two corners got hurt for New England in the first half, intercepted Culpepper with 10 seconds left on Minnesota's last-gasp drive.

How dramatic. After the game, Brown announced his retirement. "I can't imagine any better way to go out than to catch a touchdown pass and get an interception in the Super Bowl,' Brown said.

This could be the end of an era in another way too. Eric Mangini, the boy-wonder defensive coordinator for the Patriots, said after the game he has agreed to interview with Seattle on Tuesday and with New Orleans on Wednesday. Those teams have openings after the sudden January retirement of Mike Holmgren and the firing of Jim Haslett, and Mangini is the hot guy on lots of teams' lists right now. The battered Bruschi may retire to accept a vice president's job with the Patriots to be owner Bob Kraft's right-hand man. And a quieter loss, but one just as important as the others, may be felt if personnel VP Scott Pioli, who with Belichick built the football side of the Patriots dynasty, accepts a deal from one of the three storied teams rumored to be preparing an offer for him: the Giants, Cowboys (where he would be reunited with father-in-law Bill Parcells) and Bears. Two months ago Pioli ago reportedly turned down an offer from the Patriots to remain for $2 million a year.

Those are matters for another day. After the game, Brady and his new girlfriend, Lindsay Lohan, walked arm in arm out of Ford Field. "Time to celebrate,' said Brady, who's so much like Wally Cleaver he even talks like him. "We're headed out for a cheeseburger and a chocolate malt.'

"Anything you say, Tom,' Lohan said. "But can you get Cristal at Steak and Shake?'

MMQB...rest of the story

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Re: MMQ has Vikings and Patriots in big dance....need new en

Interesting!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

do u have a link to the whole story that would be nice

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

wtf, whoever wrote it might as well suck the pat's d**k.They act like the pats offense could really outshine ours..???

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

Del Rio Guest

Vikings Vs. Chiefs.

Vikes win :grin:

OchoCinco is offline Coordinator

That was the stupidest thing I have ever read....that guy must have been smokin chiba, pissin out his wizzinator, and watchin patriot supberbowl reruns....loser.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Let's not forget, they are the champs and until someone beats them it's gonna stay that way!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

The full story can be found here:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/peter_king/06/13/mmqb.brady/index.html
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Prophet Guest

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    The full story can be found here:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/peter_king/06/13/mmqb.brady/index.html
    Yep, just like the link at the bottom of the original post.

Looks like no one wants to rewrite the ending. The media is definitely jumping on the Vikings bandwagon this preseason if Peter King is alreay putting the Vikings in his MMQ section. I guess the ghost of '98 is leaving. Personally, I prefer when the media despises the Vikings.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

F*** the Patsies!!!

The Vikings are gonna win this year's Super Bowl!!!

And THAT is the real end of the story!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast