Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Mistral Raymond, FS

Positives: Height allows him to match up on the outside against pro-size receivers. Flashes enough quick feet in short areas that he lines up against slot receivers. Good backpedal for his height, though he's usually well off the line at the snap. More fluid hips and transitions forward from pedal than anticipated for his build. Breaks down, uses his length to prevent yards after catch. Aware in zones, keeps receivers in sight while tracking the quarterback. Often directs younger safeties on their assignments. Extends arms or jumps aside to keep receivers off his jersey in the run game. Height and vertical allow him to win jump balls. Should build muscle mass in NFL strength and conditioning program.

Negatives: Tall and leggy, lacks great long speed. Gives up a lot of cushion in USF's defensive alignment. Struggles to trail over the middle. Hands of a typical defensive back, makes some interceptions but dropping moderately difficult plays that could result in points. Does not track the ball well over his shoulder. Bites on double moves, will hold up receivers instead of recovering. Lacks upper-body strength to beat better receiver blocks. Inexperienced at press coverage, but has feet and length to be effective with time. Needs to be more secure bringing receivers down; goes for the strip while wrapping, giving up additional yardage.
    CBS
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Re: Mistral Raymond, FS

Strengths
    Prides himself in getting better. Very coachable. Locks up in man coverage. If he's assigned man coverage, he never loses.
    Weaknesses
    Mistral does his job, but rarely makes splash plays out of assignment. Reluctant to stick nose in big piles. Back-pedal could be better and doesn't always utilize his ample speed.
    Projection
    Raymond can help himself BIG if he proves he can play CB at a high level. The game at the Swamp on Sept. 11 will be a challenge that could bump him into scouts' collective consciousness.
    CDS

Finally, a late round pick that makes sense. FS, CB, fits what we need.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

We need to get young guys who already have experience in zone coverage schemes and he seems to have that.. i like the pick..

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Seems like we make alot of picks that make sense.. I just hope one of these guys end up panning Out.. Looks like a solid kid.. Like the versitility and the school.. Should be a solid ST'er im guessing atleast

I would like to see us keep Sanford, Abdullah, Raymond and Framton

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1095622
    Positives: Height allows him to match up on the outside against pro-size receivers. Flashes enough quick feet in short areas that he lines up against slot receivers. Good backpedal for his height, though he's usually well off the line at the snap. More fluid hips and transitions forward from pedal than anticipated for his build. Breaks down, uses his length to prevent yards after catch. Aware in zones, keeps receivers in sight while tracking the quarterback. Often directs younger safeties on their assignments. Extends arms or jumps aside to keep receivers off his jersey in the run game. Height and vertical allow him to win jump balls. Should build muscle mass in NFL strength and conditioning program.

Negatives: Tall and leggy, lacks great long speed. Gives up a lot of cushion in USF's defensive alignment. Struggles to trail over the middle. Hands of a typical defensive back, makes some interceptions but dropping moderately difficult plays that could result in points. Does not track the ball well over his shoulder. Bites on double moves, will hold up receivers instead of recovering. Lacks upper-body strength to beat better receiver blocks. Inexperienced at press coverage, but has feet and length to be effective with time. Needs to be more secure bringing receivers down; goes for the strip while wrapping, giving up additional yardage.
    CBS
    Looks like he is the perfect fit for the Marty2 defense.:laugh:

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1095720
    Looks like he is the perfect fit for the Marty2 defense.:laugh:
    You crack me up.

Some of the other stuff I found on him.

Round 6, Pick 5 (170) (From Browns) Mistral Raymond DB 196

"Biography: Junior college transfer who has been used at both safety and cornerback. Senior totals included 56/1/7 after 40 tackles and one interception as a junior.

Positives: ""Aggressive, hard hitting defensive back who always works to get involved in the action. Plays with suddenness and aggressively lays his shoulders into ball carriers. Will mix it up with opponents throughout the route and physically beats down receivers to defend the throw. Displays a good head for the ball and quickly locates the action.""

Negatives: ""Lacks fluid footwork in reverse, struggles staying with receivers out of their breaks, and possesses just marginal ball skills.""

Analysis: Raymond has shown steady improvement the past two years at South Florida and has the size and athleticism to make an NFL roster as a reserve.

Projection: FA"

Pick Analysis: Leslie Frazier adds a talented cover man to the Vikings' roster with the selection of Raymond. He will compete as a potential sub-defender/special teams contributor.

He doesn't have elite ball skills and doesn't show great burst out of his backpedal, but he's a good value here because of his size/speed blend and his willingness to play the run. He'll start as a sub-package defender, but has the ability to develop into a starter. He'll get a chance to compete as a fourth saftey.

"Pro Football Weekly draft analyst Nolan Nawrocki: Raymond climbed late in the draft process, having not started full time until his senior season. A lean free safety with average athletic ability, Raymond is a former walk-on whose competitiveness gives him a chance to earn a reserve job and compete on special teams. He could be tried at cornerback.
    Sources range from SI, Profootball Weekly, Fox, CDS etc.

I think this guy is a good fit who kindof fits what type of DB's the staff has liked over the past few years (FS that can play CB or a CB that can play FS).