Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    APRunsAD is offline Waterboy

Minnesota - Washington Post-Game Thread

Well, for the second straight week, I think Ponder played the part of a serviceable QB. He made some bad decisions and passes, but he also made some very good throws. Now, I still don't think he's "good", but at least looked like a professional QB in the NFL. In fact, one could argue that he actually had a "good" game by any NFL team's standard. His stat line:

Passing - 17/21 for 174 yards (8.3 yds/completion), 2 TD, 1 int., 113.1 QB rating

I think the defense almost screwed the team over again. The offense was competent, for the most part, but the D was largely incompetent.

What was with the TOs at the end of the game? The defense was reeling as the 'skins were marching down the field, so I can understand one reason to call a TO. In the end, however, it's extremely questionable to intentionally stop the clock when the opposing team needs a TD and doesn't have any TOs left.
    Last edited by APRunsAD; 11-07-2013 at 11:14 PM.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by APRunsAD View Post
    What was with the TOs at the end of the game? The defense was reeling as the 'skins were marching down the field, so I can understand one reason to call a TO. In the end, however, it's extremely questionable to intentionally stop the clock when the opposing team needs a TD and doesn't have any TOs left.

Frazier called late timeouts for 'gassed' players

Read more at Vikings notes: Frazier called late timeouts for 'gassed' players | Star Tribune

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    John Carlson had an above average game.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    and about bloody time too ! mind you I think thats more of an indication that the Skins defence wasn't as good if he can get such figures as he did.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Freya is offline Team Alumni
    Frazier called late timeouts for 'gassed' players

Read more at Vikings notes: Frazier called late timeouts for 'gassed' players | Star Tribune
    No excuses for lack of conditioning. What happens if there are no time outs to use?! Best to be ready to go the distance whatever comes.

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

purplehelmut is offline Pro-Bowler
    We won so Frazier isn't going to take heat for the time outs. If we had lost, and we should have at least gone to OT as the pass to Moss was right on, then it would be a different story. Ponder did look better; his passes seemed to have more velocity on them. AD is the reason I continue to watch; dude is simply awesome. The defense is wretched and did give up that last drive we are accustomed to seeing. Washington couldn't get it in even with the two time-outs Frazier loaned to them. Griffin carved us up like a boarding house pie and his last pass was on the money, Moss just bobbled it and didn't get his feet in. Very fortunate to come out with a win.

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

Minnesota - Washington Post-Game Thread

Two crappy defenses and the Vikes stepped up in the second half that was the difference in the game.

Ponder actually looked like a serviceable real NFL quarterback unbelievable.

Fun to get a win wish I was in the dome that would've been a good game to see in person!

I was happy the Vikes showed some heart they kept going even in some adverse times and came back good D in the second half.
    Last edited by MaxVike; 11-08-2013 at 09:16 AM.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

rockymtdan is offline Rookie
    Ponder had an above average game.
    The place must have reeked of desperation.
    I could not help but think of Cullpeppers last game, the team sucked and he was putting it all on the line to do more. Ponder has looked that way the last 2 weeks.That does not make him good or make me think he is the answer but I can give him "that a boy" for effort.
    3rd down defense???????????????????? I just dont get it, they did not punt until the 3rd quarter I think, so painful to watch.
    Closing the game out with a sack was good to see.
    O well a win is a win, Skol
    Go ahead back up your to close away.

Randy Moss is offline Pro-Bowler
    That was pretty much a mirror image of the Steelers game. Same score and everything. The game ended on a fourth and goal play with the other team going for the tie again, and our defensive line did just enough to bail out the rest of the defense.

Reignman is offline Asst. Coach
    First off ... WOOO HOOO we won! Damn I almost forgot how good it felt to win and now we won't go 1-15. I know a lot of people would rather have a higher draft pick, but damn I don't think I could handle 1-15. And we actually resembled a real NFL team in the 2nd half. But I guess it'll go down as another meaningless win vs Washington.

Frazier took those time outs because he was desperate. His team was about to blow a 4th game in the final seconds. We almost blew a 5th vs Pittsburgh. For a normal team it would have been boneheaded, but when you're as dysfunctional on defense as we are, a timeout was mandatory there. In a couple of those games he was blasted for not using timeouts or getting more involved when the defense looked lost and confused. You could say he had a moment of deja vu, so he took those timeouts to give them a rest and get them all on the same page. I can't blame him for that. I don't think time was a factor anyway. Washington was inside the 10 with 38 seconds to go. That's plenty of time to get off 3 or 4 pass plays. And besides, if Washington was forced into a hurry up mode, that would have been bad for our defense as we have seen in 5 previous games. We only stopped Pittsburgh and now Washington but not until they both got inside the 10. Big Ben fumbled, and RG3 screwed up by not looking for his TE.

Despite a good game for Ponder statistically, he still looks like an awful QB. That dying rainbow for an interception on the opening drive was just as pathetic as his fail mary vs Dallas. And again he had how many late soft throws with no zip? There was a pass he floated to, I think it was Ford for a short gain and I just remember thinking, why didn't he put some zip on it and allow Ford to pick up some RAC? It's a bad habit, put some damn mustard on the ball when you can.

As far as the defense goes, they really stepped it up in the 2nd half and actually looked pretty aggressive. Especially on the final drive after Washington got into the RZ. I think we sent an all out blitz on nearly every down down there. However I think we got lucky. I remember Washington having a few drops down there at the end. And in the 1st half it was one pathetic display after another on 3rd down. Man I just don't get why this defense can't get off the field on 3rd down. Washington started 9 of 10 on 3rd downs. The middle of the field was always WIDE OPEN. Garcon was killing us over the middle.

And how bout that Washington TD just before half? I've never seen 2 receivers so wide open in the EZ. In fact they had 3 wide open if you count the eligible lineman who was WIDE open at the snap but ran across the field into coverage as the other 2 were coming open the other way. What the hell are we doing out there?

But in the end, save for the final Redskin drive, it was a great 2nd half. I can't remember the last time we came out in the 2nd half and played like a hungry team. In fact that was only the 2nd time Frazier has won a game after trailing at the half in 24 attempts. The other time was when he trailed Jacksonville 9-7 at half. So yeah, 13 points is now our largest comeback in the Frazier era.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast