Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Anyone checked to see how many passes we completed past 15 yards?
    The point of the matter is, teams will soon realize that we can't throw deep and will begin playing tighter. 1 win and we are ready to believe that all the ails of this team are gone. Anyone remember the Colts game. We lost to the damn Colts. Sorry but this team just isn't very good. I expect to see some broken hearted posters soon.

Be cautious with Jerome Simpson mania - NFC North Blog - ESPN

4 passes past 20, 1 completed average is 12.
    0 longer than 31.
    Lost yards per attempt in the league.
    So are you saying teams can't win if they don't chuck it deep all the time?

Its quite the opposite if you look at the box scores. Teams that are successful are the ones who throw the under stuff and take just a few shots deep instead of taking alot of shots deep with very few dumpoffs.

Interesting stat that was out there this week.......How many of the QB's currently active that have won SB's and their winning percentage. Look at those QB's and their games box scores and you will see, like Rodgers, trying to go deep all the time just gets your ass killed and you wind up losing.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Anderson View Post
    I don't know if this is necessarily saying they're the next big thing *this year.* No one, at least in this thread, is overhyping the team. The author even says the team is young and will be inconsistent, so I'm not sure where the entire basis of your post is coming from.

There's still have Simpson to watch, if he doesn't play out, we can add a deep threat in the off season. I think the whole point of was this was to say the Vikings appear to have a pretty solid nucleus and if they can play to their potential and with the confidence they did against San Francisco, they can compete with anybody.
    Ding ding ding ding......We have a winner.

Top shelf my friend. Top shelf indeed.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Point to consider-

This is only week 4.
    Yup, your right. The Lions are a bit of the opposite when you consider what we saw against the 9rs......

One team runs the ball and controls the game via the pass.

The other stretches the field with a bit of run mixed in.

One team beat the other, and we just happened to beat that team.

In the end, this is going to be a very fun game to watch regardless of the outcome as it will see if we can only beat a run heavy team and lose to a pass heavy team like we saw in the first two games.....(Jags run-W)/(Colts Pass-L).

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Yup, your right. The Lions are a bit of the opposite when you consider what we saw against the 9rs......

One team runs the ball and controls the game via the pass.

The other stretches the field with a bit of run mixed in.

One team beat the other, and we just happened to beat that team.

In the end, this is going to be a very fun game to watch regardless of the outcome as it will see if we can only beat a run heavy team and lose to a pass heavy team like we saw in the first two games.....(Jags run-W)/(Colts Pass-L).
    I suspect we will have more issues with vertical teams like the Lions. However, if the Vikings offense can stay as efficient as last week and get out to a good start, it will put more pressure on the Lions to make plays that hopefully lead into a few turnovers.

The Vikings style of play is far from sexy, but it is sound, if the players come ready to play and don't have a bunch of miscues. The more physical the better.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    We are giving up just a bit over 200 yards passing this year with those youngsters and thats not as bad as some on here contend.

Get a bit more support from our front 4 on their end and I think we could be even better.

(On side note: you have to take into acct the QB's they've faced as well, two rooks and a game manager)
    Yup. This week will be a much harder test for the young secondary, as DET is the number 1! Passing Offense. But, on the other side of the ball, they're ranked 20th in passing yards allowed AND more importantly, 6th worst points allowed at over 31 pts/game!! They've allowed 5 passing TDs while collecting 0 INTs and are tied with us and 6 other teams for a very middle of the pack 7 sacks.

That's why I'm thinking shoot-out. We could likely see high 20s to low 30s scoring by both teams...at least, I'm hoping we'll continue to see progress, and thus points scored by our offense!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

digital420 is offline Team Alumni
    honestly.. this isn't any big news.. we are a rebuilding team, have been for 2 years now?

unless your detroit or miami.. really should you remain in rebuilding more then say 3 years? 4th year would be the playoff birth.. and then 4-5 years of dominance.. sure lots of teams have tried this, and few have succeeded. I'm still riding the good feeling of last week, so i'll have a biased viewpoint.

sure we're showing signs of improvement, if we weren't i guarantee there would be shouts in the dome for fraziers head.. maybe not a crowd like roar, at least not yet.

lets see what happens as we hit our bye week. that would give a solid basis of referral for just how improved this team is compared to the last 2 years. and we'd have a good grasp on the "nucleus" of the team.

Wide receivers are a point where many think we're lacking. really though we arn't, not a LOT. Allready,we have 2 rb's who can catch, if we can keep PH happy its very win win, Carlson proves he's more then we've seen, and Rudy keeps proving he's a gem, we don't NEED Simpson to be the answer, i hope he is, but again we have enouf base pieces to move into that low end contender with a high wr pick or off season grab for rebuild season 4.

the OL is one of the key points this year will prove if we're succeed or not. bigK is living up to the hype, Sully seems to be holding the C down, and the rest are gelling in nicely. watch this as it will be the base for everything else. Ponder has enouf time he can make the reads, AP has the holes.. well we know what he does. I don't have a lot of worries on this either as it seems we have most of the core of it sound.

RB.. really is there a question here? so TG fumbled a couple times there. really it was 2x. i still trust him.
    it's a lot to ask to have a 3rd back that can be near the level of these 2 on the same team.

qb. we did what i thought was the best move. kept 3 young, project style qb's. Webb i doulbt will ever be a starting qb, a great backup yes, even a great addition to the game plan if used right. the rook.. well from everything i've heard he seems to be a steal and i'm glad they kept him over the used up backup veteren. Ponder.. there is obvious improvement there, is it something that will lead the vikings to the playoffs. maybe, as we all agree time will tell, but it looks bright.

i'd do a similar breakdown of the D, but i'm home now from a long day. maybe in the morning with coffee. but it just as the O. has several ? positions but many others where the answer so far is a ! rather then a bust.

one part the story didn't mention and I think many people really should start viewing in a better area is the Coaching staff. many of which are just as new to their positions as those who are veterans of the coaching trade. This breakdown comes much much later, but will also be the key to the cog that makes this rebuild a success or just another mid level team always reaching for the wildcard, or fluke playoff birth.

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

Reignman is offline Asst. Coach
    I'll have to hold off on my optimism until I see more consistency. I want to see how we do vs the pass happy vertical teams, I want to see how we do vs our division (11 straight division losses), and I want to see how we play on the road.

I suspect everyone will quickly change their tune again if we come out flat against Detroit the way we did vs the Jags and Colts. But if we start to play the way we did vs the niners more often, we're suddenly playoff contenders.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Anyone checked to see how many passes we completed past 15 yards?
    The point of the matter is, teams will soon realize that we can't throw deep and will begin playing tighter. 1 win and we are ready to believe that all the ails of this team are gone. Anyone remember the Colts game. We lost to the damn Colts. Sorry but this team just isn't very good. I expect to see some broken hearted posters soon.

Be cautious with Jerome Simpson mania - NFC North Blog - ESPN

4 passes past 20, 1 completed average is 12.
    0 longer than 31.
    Lost yards per attempt in the league.

I've been saying this for a while. I've been hard on Ponder, but I need to see more. People can say all they want he doesn't have a deep threat to throw to, not every QB in the league has a deep threat to throw to. Hopefully Simpson can come in and open up the passing game for us and this will be a moot point haha

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by VKG4LFE View Post
    People can say all they want he doesn't have a deep threat to throw to, not every QB in the league has a deep threat to throw to.
    And not every team can go deep.

Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    Yup. This week will be a much harder test for the young secondary, as DET is the number 1! Passing Offense. But, on the other side of the ball, they're ranked 20th in passing yards allowed AND more importantly, 6th worst points allowed at over 31 pts/game!! They've allowed 5 passing TDs while collecting 0 INTs and are tied with us and 6 other teams for a very middle of the pack 7 sacks.

That's why I'm thinking shoot-out. We could likely see high 20s to low 30s scoring by both teams...at least, I'm hoping we'll continue to see progress, and thus points scored by our offense!!
    This was a good post my friend.

In the end, we saw our defense play according to the scheme at all levels....DL, LB'rs, and DB's and we shut down that high flying offense.

I knew it was gonna be a good day when I saw Guion singled and he beat it to sack the QB. Pressure up the middle my friend. Pressure up the middle.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast