Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vikesfargo is offline Asst. Coach

Minnesota Vikings team stats 2005-2007

[size=14pt]Minnesota Vikings team stats 2005-2007[/size]

Breaking down Vikings' team stats in 2005 (Head Coach Mike Tice's last year) and 2006 and 2007 (the Childress era). Please bear in mind that the official stats from Week 17 aren't out yet.

Offense

Pts/G:

22.8 (15th)

17.6 (26th)

19.1 (19th)
    Yds/G:
    336.2 (13th)

308.9 (23rd)

288.3 (25th)
    Pass/G:
    171.6 (28th)

195.2 (18th)

196.6 (20th)
    Rush/G:
    164.6 (1st)

113.8 (16th)

91.7 (27th)
    Yds/P:

5.6 (5th-T)

4.8 (24th-T)

4.9 (20th-T)
    20yd+

3rd%:

34% (27th-T)

33% (28th-T)

33% (28th-T)
    # Pen:

86 (13th)

123 (32nd)

128 (23rd)

Defense

Pts/G:

19.4 (11th-T)

20.4 (14th)

21.5 (19th)
    Yds/G:
    338.1 (20th)

300.2 (8th)

323.3 (21st)
    Pass/G:
    264.1 (32nd)

238.6 (31st-T)

208.3 (22nd)
    Rush/G:
    74.1 (1st)

61.6 (1st)

115.1 (19th)
    Sacks:

38 (8th)

30 (25th-T)

34 (22nd)
    PD:

74 (15th)

71 (21st-T)

84 (11th)
    Yds/P:

5.1 (15th)

4.9 (7th-T)

5.0 (16th)
    20yd+

3rd%:

40%
    (18th)

34% (5th)

43% (31st)
    #Pen:

110 (28th)

112 (30th)

(30th)

Special teams

Avg yds/KO return:

24.8 (4th)

22.6 (17th)

21.8 (19th)

Turnover ratio:

2007: +1

(31 takeaways)
    2006: +4

(36 takeaways)
    2005: +5

(35 takeaways)

Stats compiled from sports.yahoo.com
    and nfl.com. Explosive plays are separated for rushing and passing. I added the two together and can't easily rank that against other teams.

[size=14pt]Observations[/size]

Better under Childress: offensive explosive plays (20yd+), rushing offense, rushing defense, kickoff returns, number of offensive penalties, number of defensive penalties, sacks, points per game, offensive yards per game, offensive yards per pass, points allowed per game, opponents' 3rd down percentage.

The following statistics have grown worse: explosive plays allowed (20yd+), passing yards per game, passes defensed, and turnover ratio.

Some statistics, like allowed yards/pass, improved notably in 2006 when Mike Tomlin was defensive coordinator, then slid back to 2005 levels after Tomlin left.

The Vikings haven't defended the pass well under Coach Childress. The holes in the pass defense have undermined the top-notch rushing defense. The passing attack was more consistent with Brad Johnson as QB in 2006, but the important yards/pass statistic climbed nicely in 2007 with young Tarvaris Jackson throwing the ball.

A key improvement is offensive penalties. The Vikings are not suffering numerous false start calls anymore hurting drives. There is still much to improve upon here, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

Rushing defense is near perfect. Everything else needs more work. The trend is mostly positive.

Go Vikings!

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Minnesota Vikings team stats 2005-2007

http://nc.startribune.com/blogs/vikings/

The Vikings finished the season leading the NFL in both rushing offense and defense. The offense finished with an average of 164.6 yards per game; the defense, which gave up more than 100 yards on the ground in its final two games, allowed 74.1 yards per game.

The Vikings pass defense, however, finished last in the NFL, giving up an average of 264.1 yards per game.
    LuckyVike asked in another thread why we wanted to get rid of three safties. Maybe this is the reason!

Then it also could have been because other teams passed on the Vikings so much.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

I love stats.

Man are alot of guys gonna have to jump through thier asses to try and explain this stuff away.

I am going to watch real close for the guys who will come with the "Wins and Losses are the only stat that matter" crew and see what they are saying in the TJ thread were they are saying it doesn't matter.

Word of warning.
    Be carefull what you say here.
    Old Marrdro might escape new Marrdro.
    ;D

Great thread. This is gonna be a fun one.
    ;D (lots of smiley faces)
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple D is offline Starter

"Marrdro" wrote:
    I love stats.

Man are alot of guys gonna have to jump through thier dimply buttocks to try and explain this stuff away.

I am going to watch real close for the guys who will come with the "Wins and Losses are the only stat that matter" crew and see what they are saying in the TJ thread were they are saying it doesn't matter.

Word of warning.

;D

;D
    Wasn't 2005 the first year without Moss?
    Four score and seven years ago, Brad Childress has brought upon this team, a west coast offense, conceived in San Francisco, and Dedicated to be a Kick jiggly butt offence. We are now engaged in an NFL season, testing weather that offense can get going or that our defense can long endure.

"Purple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    I love stats.

Man are alot of guys gonna have to jump through thier dimply buttocks to try and explain this stuff away.

Word of warning.
    ;D

;D
    Wasn't 2005 the first year without Moss?
    Yes.

Go Vikings!

One of the best posts ever and now we loose the whole "Tice was better" contingent.

Were have you gone my friends.
    Please come try to convince me how much better a coach he was.

Face it, he did the best he could do with the limited resources he had. That is all you can ask of a coach.

The Chiller is doing the same thing my friends.
    Young talent that is/will grow into a very good team.

Lets hope this thread ends all further discussions about who was better or worse as it is simply ludicrous to try to compare.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

"vikesfargo" wrote:
    [size=14pt]Minnesota Vikings team stats 2005-2007[/size]

Breaking down Vikings' team stats in 2005 (Head Coach Mike Tice's last year) and 2006 and 2007 (the Childress era). Please bear in mind that the official stats from Week 17 aren't out yet.

Offense

Pts/G:

22.8 (15th)

17.6 (26th)

19.1 (19th)
    Yds/G:

336.2 (13th)

308.9 (23rd)

288.3 (25th)
    Pass/G:
    171.6 (28th)

195.2 (18th)

196.6 (20th)
    Rush/G:
    164.6 (1st)

113.8 (16th)

91.7 (27th)
    Yds/P:

5.6 (5th-T)

4.8 (24th-T)

4.9 (20th-T)
    20yd+

3rd%:

34% (27th-T)

33% (28th-T)

33% (28th-T)
    # Pen:

86 (13th)

123 (32nd)

128 (23rd)

Defense

Pts/G:

19.4 (11th-T)

20.4 (14th)

21.5 (19th)
    Yds/G:

338.1 (20th)

300.2 (8th)

323.3 (21st)
    Pass/G:
    264.1 (32nd)

238.6 (31st-T)

208.3 (22nd)
    Rush/G:

74.1 (1st)

61.6 (1st)

115.1 (19th)
    Sacks:

38 (8th)

30 (25th-T)

34 (22nd)
    PD:

74 (15th)

71 (21st-T)

84 (11th)
    Yds/P:

5.1 (15th)

4.9 (7th-T)

5.0 (16th)
    20yd+

3rd%:

40%
    (18th)

34% (5th)

43% (31st)
    #Pen:

110 (28th)

112 (30th)

(30th)

Special teams

Avg yds/KO return:

24.8 (4th)

22.6 (17th)

21.8 (19th)

Turnover ratio:

2007: +1

(31 takeaways)
    2006: +4

(36 takeaways)
    2005: +5

(35 takeaways)

Stats compiled from sports.yahoo.com
    and nfl.com. Explosive plays are separated for rushing and passing. I added the two together and can't easily rank that against other teams.

[size=14pt]Observations[/size]

Better under Childress: offensive explosive plays (20yd+), rushing offense, rushing defense, kickoff returns, number of offensive penalties, number of defensive penalties, sacks, points per game, offensive yards per game, offensive yards per pass, points allowed per game, opponents' 3rd down percentage.

The following statistics have grown worse: explosive plays allowed (20yd+), passing yards per game, passes defensed, and turnover ratio.

Some statistics, like allowed yards/pass, improved notably in 2006 when Mike Tomlin was defensive coordinator, then slid back to 2005 levels after Tomlin left.

The Vikings haven't defended the pass well under Coach Childress. The holes in the pass defense have undermined the top-notch rushing defense. The passing attack was more consistent with Brad Johnson as QB in 2006, but the important yards/pass statistic climbed nicely in 2007 with young Tarvaris Jackson throwing the ball.

A key improvement is offensive penalties. The Vikings are not suffering numerous false start calls anymore hurting drives. There is still much to improve upon here, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

Rushing defense is near perfect. Everything else needs more work. The trend is mostly positive.
    Great post.
    Someone was home working while I was wrecking myself with my buddy Captain Morgan last night ;D.

I agree with the trends.
    It appears that Chilly pays closer attention to these things than his predecessor.

Defense:
    Not quite sure what the answer is re: pass defense, but, an obvious one to me would be more a better pass rush from the defensive line.
    A few commentators, most notably Tim Ryan on Sunday and on Sirius NFL Radio, have made comments like "good defense in football is similar to good defense in baseball.
    It starts from the middle, and the Vikes are set with the Williams' and EJ."
    I think Dwight Smith is a liability to the pass game, and, it didn't help matters when Winfield was hurt off and on.
    The Vikes, with someone like Dummervil, Suggs, Freeney...would be absolutely awesome.
    Speed rush DE, and a fast safety with cover skills and this is a Top 5 defense.
    I'm nonplussed that the Vikes were 8th in sacks given the amount of times opponents dropped back to throw.
    Pts/game is going the right way.
    Penalties is a concern.

Offense:
    In retrospect, Chilly limiting the playbook was smart...however, he simply did not make the adjustments quickly enough during games.
    I trust that he was trying to limit TJack's (and the other QB's) mistakes, which, combined with a good defense and running game, kept us competitive in virtually all games.
    The fact that this team led the NFL in rushing is actually quite amazing IMO...given the aforementioned.
    Gibbs figured it out...so did Nolan in San Francisco.
    Penalties, explosive plays (thanks AD), and Yds/P all very good trends.
    Not quite sure why you would limit the playbook if your Yds/P is #5 in the NFL...this deserves much analysis in the offseason.

Special Teams:
    Remember in the preseason, most of us were extremely concerned about the special teams play.
    Ferraro said in the local press that, "it will change when it gets real," or something like it.
    Well, it did...hats off to coach Ferraro.
    Coverage was solid all year (a Hester lapse, but, please), and, eventually, he got Troy "deer in the headlights" Williamson out and replaced him with Allison.
    Nice job in 2007 coach.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    One of the best posts ever and now we loose the whole "Tice was better" contingent.

Were have you gone my friends.
    Please come try to convince me how much better a coach he was.

Face it, he did the best he could do with the limited resources he had. That is all you can ask of a coach.

The Chiller is doing the same thing my friends.
    Young talent that is/will grow into a very good team.

Lets hope this thread ends all further discussions about who was better or worse as it is simply ludicrous to try to compare.
    ;D
    I am not sure that I consider myself in the Tice was better contingent but I'll take a new years crack at it to give you something to debate ;D

You are looking at 2005, a year where before the season Red knew he was going to sell the team and he had completely dismantled the organization in order to maximize his return on investment. He traded Moss before Wilf cut the check and nobody was there to stand by Tice and give him support. Red didn't care and Wilf had other plans.

Now, how the hell do you think you would have performed under that type of environment? Are you telling me that comparing that season to the current situation where Childress was brought in and given more staff, any coach he wanted and an expanded payroll to sign veterans that there is a reason why we have still to meet the teams record for that year? that is ridiculous.

If you want some real stats with teeth, take some time and pull up the stats for Reds first 2 years owning the Vikings and compare them to Ziggy's first 2 years

Compare Chilly's first 2 years to those of Burns or Green.

"MaxVike" wrote:
    Great post.
    Someone was home working while I was wrecking myself with my buddy Captain Morgan last night ;D.

I agree with the trends.
    It appears that Chilly pays closer attention to these things than his predecessor.

Defense:
    Not quite sure what the answer is re: pass defense, but, an obvious one to me would be more a better pass rush from the defensive line.
    A few commentators, most notably Tim Ryan on Sunday and on Sirius NFL Radio, have made comments like "good defense in football is similar to good defense in baseball.
    It starts from the middle, and the Vikes are set with the Williams' and EJ."
    I think Dwight Smith is a liability to the pass game, and, it didn't help matters when Winfield was hurt off and on.
    The Vikes, with someone like Dummervil, Suggs, Freeney...would be absolutely awesome.
    Speed rush DE, and a fast safety with cover skills and this is a Top 5 defense.
    I'm nonplussed that the Vikes were 8th in sacks given the amount of times opponents dropped back to throw.
    Pts/game is going the right way.
    Penalties is a concern.

Offense:
    In retrospect, Chilly limiting the playbook was smart...however, he simply did not make the adjustments quickly enough during games.
    I trust that he was trying to limit TJack's (and the other QB's) mistakes, which, combined with a good defense and running game, kept us competitive in virtually all games.
    The fact that this team led the NFL in rushing is actually quite amazing IMO...given the aforementioned.
    Gibbs figured it out...so did Nolan in San Francisco.
    Penalties, explosive plays (thanks AD), and Yds/P all very good trends.
    Not quite sure why you would limit the playbook if your Yds/P is #5 in the NFL...this deserves much analysis in the offseason.

Special Teams:
    Remember in the preseason, most of us were extremely concerned about the special teams play.
    Ferraro said in the local press that, "it will change when it gets real," or something like it.
    Well, it did...hats off to coach Ferraro.
    Coverage was solid all year (a Hester lapse, but, please), and, eventually, he got Troy "deer in the headlights" Williamson out and replaced him with Allison.
    Nice job in 2007 coach.

Very nice my friend.
    Very nice indeed.

I read in a article that COJO posted that the author thought we should move Winny back to safety.
    I like that idea.

Add a RDE that can get double digit sacks, a vet CB to compliment Griff/Gordon/McCauley and that would be a defense to reckon with .
    ;D

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    I am not sure that I consider myself in the Tice was better contingent but I'll take a new years crack at it to give you something to debate ;D

You are looking at 2005, a year where before the season Red knew he was going to sell the team and he had completely dismantled the organization in order to maximize his return on investment. He traded Moss before Wilf cut the check and nobody was there to stand by Tice and give him support. Red didn't care and Wilf had other plans.

Now, how the hell do you think you would have performed under that type of environment? Are you telling me that comparing that season to the current situation where Childress was brought in and given more staff, any coach he wanted and an expanded payroll to sign veterans that there is a reason why we have still to meet the teams record for that year? that is ridiculous.

If you want some real stats with teeth, take some time and pull up the stats for Reds first 2 years owning the Vikings and compare them to Ziggy's first 2 years

Compare Chilly's first 2 years to those of Burns or Green.
    2005 was a bad year? The team went 9-7. That team had lots of talent, but it achieved its maximum potential with that talent and that coach. The Randy Moss trade was supposed to make the Vikings significantly better. Of course, that plan failed utterly. What we really have is the spectacle of Mike Tice achieving very little while head coach except for the running off of one of the NFL's all-time best wide receivers in the prime of his career with insufficient justification.

If Tice couldn't motivate the Vikings to more than a 9-7 that year, then the coach was the problem. If the talent level was no better than a 9-7 team, then the coaching and personnel decisions were the problem. Either way, Tice was properly shown the door

The fact is, the 2007 Vikings were better than the 2006 Vikings who were better than the 2005 Vikings. That steady incline of improvement occurred under Brad Childress. That makes me optimistic for this offseason. A couple of more upgrades and players getting better and more experienced and settling in better is what I want to see in the 2008 Vikings.

BTW, when I say the 2006 Vikings were better than the 2005 Vikings, I mean they had more potential. The 2005 Vikings reached their pinnacle at 9-7.

Go Vikings!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast