Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni

Minnesota Vikings Post Senior Bowl Off Season Plan and Mock Draft

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2014/1/...enior-bowl-off

"I really do not know what they are going to do but I think it would be wise to explore all trades now. I would take the best package I could get and then re-sign Toby Gerhart and probably another free agent as well as drafting a RB. I just do not know what kind of package they can get. I would like to believe they could get a first round pick but that is thinking like a fan. I believe he will be here next year and probably the year after. Then I think he will probably be asked to take a pay cut or just flat out released. I do not believe he will have any trade value worth a dang after this year."

Business money aside, I hate to admit, but this is my stance on Peterson. He's a great player but what is the structure of the team going to look like in a few seasons? Very few players retire with the team that has drafted them, its the way that teams do business..and this is all about business. But, I do feel they need Peterson to do his business here in order to put asses in the seats of the new stadium.

But his contract is mega huge, QB money he would have to take less for a shot at a Super Bowl contender
    None

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer

The contracts for Jared Allen and Adrian Peterson show how much of a novice Spielman is compared to how the Patriots sign players. These players deserved to be paid well, but their numbers are just too high compared to what the team should be paying them.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    The contracts for Jared Allen and Adrian Peterson show how much of a novice Spielman is compared to how the Patriots sign players. These players deserved to be paid well, but their numbers are just too high compared to what the team should be paying them.
    You are way off.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Most star players sign contracts that they cannot fullfill. Either the contract gets them cut or they ask for more money/teams ask them to take less. When Peterson was a about to be a FA, he would have gotten similar money from almost every team. He was underpaid for much of the first part of his contract. Unless you think paying ELI manning 121 million is a smart move.

Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Most star players sign contracts that they cannot fulfill. Either the contract gets them cut or they ask for more money/teams ask them to take less.
    Jared Allen played his outrageous back-ended contract out. I do not care how popular Jared Allen is; he did not earn franchise quarterback pay.

When Peterson was a about to be a FA, he would have gotten similar money from almost every team. He was underpaid for much of the first part of his contract.
    He would have? Was that on the table? Did other high profile running backs get that cash?

The Vikings should have offered Peterson a fair market deal for running backs and tagged him if he did not come to terms.

Unless you think paying ELI manning 121 million is a smart move.
    I will not bite on your straw man. I am on record stating that Eli Manning has been over-rated.

That stated, if a team is going to over-pay, a top five QB is the only place to get a decent return on that money. Payton Manning, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, and Tom Brady have big contracts, but they have huge returns in wins and playoff victories. No running back, even in an MVP season, can do the same in the modern era.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Sorry Charlie, but you kids and your trade Peterson BS are totally off the mark. First, he's only making about half of what the top QBs make. Secondly, he is earning it by carrying this team on his back, and being the face of the franchise, who is selling the most jerseys and tickets. Also, compared to most teams, we have very little money tied up in the QB position, so we can afford to spend a bit more on the one star we still have.

Third, we are most likely looking at some starts from a new, young, rookie QB. The best way to protect a young QB while he learns the ropes and takes his lumps is with a good running game and a solid Defense. I.e. Limit his responsibilities and limit his mistakes...AND grow his confidence.

Lastly, nobody will offer us what he is worth to us, because value at the RB position has declined dramatically. Look at who was available as a free agent last off season and how many of them didn't even get a look-see much less an offer. In today's pass first league, RBs are pretty much a dime a dozen and most teams run a platoon of them with variable success. Our guy rambles off 1266 yards in a down year with 2 missed games and limited touches in several others.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Unless I am missing something, the Vikings game plan is to put a "decent" defense on the field, then stack the offense with 2-3 down field weapons (Jennings, Patterson and Simpson/Wright), a solid TE crew like Carlson/Rudolph, AP in the backfield and a potential all-star QB. Before the season began, there was a lot of talk on the NFL Network the the Vikings *might* have one of the best offensive lines in the game; that wasn't the case, but it is obvious that was where a lot of attention was put. It is very much in the Denver Broncos scheme of building a team, in my opinion.

Is this the consensus here, or am I truly missing something? If so, CAN the GM/Coaches do a 180 and start focusing on the defense without putting us once again in a "re-building year"? I'm confident in our coaching staff for the first time in a LONG time, but I really don't know where they will focus the attention, so to speak.

Anyone have anything definitive on this?
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Quote Originally Posted by drewlovs View Post
    Is this the consensus here, or am I truly missing something? If so, CAN the GM/Coaches do a 180 and start focusing on the defense without putting us once again in a "re-building year"? I'm confident in our coaching staff for the first time in a LONG time, but I really don't know where they will focus the attention, so to speak.

Anyone have anything definitive on this?
    Really depends what we do in FA. I could see us getting someone like Kirk Cousins at QB, which would allow us to focus more on defense in the draft.

I don't think we're as far away from being a solid team as some seem to think. Having a new HC alone is a big step forward... think where the 49ers were before they hired Harbaugh.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast