Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    6-KINGS Guest

Re: Minnesota Vikings New Stadium Discussion

"Del Rio" wrote:
    Yeah well most stadiums that are built are a combination of money from the team and money from the community. If you aren't willing to pay 3 cents more for a loaf of bread don't cry when your team is in a state that wants one.

I assume the proposal will include a chunk of change from the team. The rest will fall on the state that benifits from having the team.
    We're The Benbrook Vikings........Benbrook Vikings........Benbrook Vikings #1

I can hear the chants echoing off the lake now..............

If the folks of Minnesota don't pony up, this team WILL leave.
    It is very unusual for a city or state or both not to cough up huge amounts of money when these stadiums are built.

So this will be an issue that must be addressed soon.

smootpepper is offline Pro-Bowler

"Del Rio" wrote:
    Yeah well most stadiums that are built are a combination of money from the team and money from the community. If you aren't willing to pay 3 cents more for a loaf of bread don't cry when your team is in a state that wants one.

I assume the proposal will include a chunk of change from the team. The rest will fall on the state that benifits from having the team.

Dont get me wrong here, I do want a new stadium for the vikings. And I dont know enough of how they set taxes on stadium deals so I maybe way off base here. Sure its only 3 cents on a loaf of bread. But what ever happened to the 3 cent tax that im paying on the dome? I assume the metrodome has been paid off for some time now and I dont remember seeing a tax break for it. Is the government still collecting my 3 cents everytime I buy a loaf of bread? And if so why cant that go to a new stadium?
    If every time we build a new stadium, and they just keep adding on taxes sooner or later that 3 cents will be in reality 50 cents.

Maybe someone with knowledge on how these taxes are implemented could shed some light on someone in the dark here.

Del Rio Guest

I don't know what the real proposal is or was, I was just throwing that out there.

Point is if the Vikings get a new stadium you guys are going to be paying for it somehow.

akvikefan89 is offline Star Spokesman

"smootpepper" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:

Dont get me wrong here, I do want a new stadium for the vikings. And I dont know enough of how they set taxes on stadium deals so I maybe way off base here. Sure its only 3 cents on a loaf of bread. But what ever happened to the 3 cent tax that im paying on the dome? I assume the metrodome has been paid off for some time now and I dont remember seeing a tax break for it. Is the government still collecting my 3 cents everytime I buy a loaf of bread? And if so why cant that go to a new stadium?
    If every time we build a new stadium, and they just keep adding on taxes sooner or later that 3 cents will be in reality 50 cents.

Maybe someone with knowledge on how these taxes are implemented could shed some light on someone in the dark here.
    I say everyone just buys one $500 loaf of bread. :lol:

LuckyVike is offline Team Alumni

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    I would like to see a stadium with a retractable roof and a natural grass surface. It will cut down on the injuries although not be as fast and the problems are, the Vikes are built for speed right now. But then in four years when a stadium would be finished, they can redirect their draft after winning the Super Bowl this year.
    I'm guessing you heard that said when we was a passing offensive oriented team. We're not built for speed near as much as in past years.
    The best part of my day is when I get down on my knees, with my head in my hands, and thank GOD for everything he has given me.

smootpepper is offline Pro-Bowler

"Del Rio" wrote:
    I don't know what the real proposal is or was, I was just throwing that out there.

Point is if the Vikings get a new stadium you guys are going to be paying for it somehow.
    I understand that it was just an example. I guess overall im just wondering what ever happened to the additional taxes that we had to take on for the met and the dome. Are those taxes still in place? Since both the met and dome have been paid for, and we are still paying taxes on them then adding more taxes is not the answer. But like I said before, im pretty ignorant on this topic.

Del Rio Guest

That's a good question.

I bet someone can tell you....maybe Ultra or Shock.....someone knows something we may have to bribe them for the answer :grin:

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

When there is a tax increase for something special, they do not usually repeal the tax. What politician wants to take in less tax money.

In economics this year when discussed this issue. Do you know that the federal excise tax put onto your phone bill was started to help pay for WWI? I think its paid for now, but the gov't. does not want to loose money.

The Cleveland Indians play at Jacobs Field; built in the mid 90's. They raised the money by taxing tobacco in the county. The tax is still there. When it was voted on it passed by a landslide. Alcohol and tobacco are very easy targets to tax. The majority of voters do not use tobacco and see it as evil. So usually these taxes pass overwhelmingly.

If the state pays for our new "open air" dome, you will be paying the rest of your life.

Del Rio Guest

Seems like here at work. Some guys work overtime so much their life style changes and they cannot afford to not work overtime.

Maybe the state has charged you guys so much it has gotten used to that income and cannot afford to change it.

That is very interesting by the way.

akvikefan89 is offline Star Spokesman

I'm not sure if I could get used to the Vikes playin on grass. Whatever keeps the Vikes in Minny though :grin:

(unless they want to move the Vikes to Alaska) :lol:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast