Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Formo is offline Team Alumni

Re: The Minnesota Vikings: Most Feared in the NFC?

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "trippster" wrote:
    I am amazed. Yup, you guys have it right on the nail. A team that last year, DIDNT EVEN MAKE THE PLAYOFFS are now the most feared team in the NFC?

you are discounting a VERY solid (I hate to say that) Dallas team.
    A well coached Seattle team.
    And the very team that spanked you twice last season and won the NFC North!

Worry about winning A GAME against the NFC North Champions, then the NFC North before you proclaim yourselves the "Most Feared in the NFC!"
    ;D

<<<walking away chuckling to himself....These nutty norwegians. Too much fermentation going on in their grog>>>> :P
    IF you go back to page ONE, you will see that this whole thread is based on an article with the same title, an article that was written by a non-PP.Oer...and our commentary is based off of his original premise.
    The FEAR of which he speaks comes mostly from the fact that the Vikings, who didn't make the playoffs despite their obvious rushing and rush defensive strengths, have improved significantly in the areas that they were weakest...and possess in Tarvaris Jackson an unknown element that could very easily catapult them into the elite of the NFC.
    Most experts concede that a QB makes his biggest leap in performance from his first year starting to his second year.
    That being the case, Tarvaris is poised to show significant improvement, which SHOULD strike fear in the hearts of the rest of the NFC...because IF that happens, all of the rest of the pieces are in place for a VERY deep playoff run...possibly culminating in a Super Bowl championship.
    OF COURSE, it's all speculation right now...BUT FEAR is usually predicated on SPECULATION of what can happen in the UNKNOWN.
    FEAR is usually unfounded...but it exists no matter what.
    And there is DEFINITELY fear regarding what the Vikings COULD accomplish if Tarvaris makes what most experts expect from a second-year starter as a normal jump in efficiency.
    One of his biggest critics, Kevin Seifert (who just got hired by Sports Illustrated), has already gone on record as having seen a quantum leap in TJack's level of comfort and understanding in the Vikings' offense.
    Now, I know that still needs to translate in real games, but it is very encouraging nonetheless to us Vikings fans.
    Rodgers, by contrast, hasn't really had the starter's learning curve yet...so if anything, Rodgers is the bigger question mark.

So, bottom line, this thread is admittedly one of speculation (notice the question mark in the title) and none of us Vikings fans here are fooling ourselves...we are only speculating right along with the original author of the article cited.
    BUT if the speculative predictions come to pass, then YES, the rest of the NFC DOES have much to fear....and those fears will be truly founded in performance.

Best post in this thread.

4TW
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "trippster" wrote:
    I am amazed. Yup, you guys have it right on the nail. A team that last year, DIDNT EVEN MAKE THE PLAYOFFS are now the most feared team in the NFC?

Worry about winning A GAME against the NFC North Champions, then the NFC North before you proclaim yourselves the "Most Feared in the NFC!"
    ;D

<<<walking away chuckling to himself....These nutty norwegians. Too much fermentation going on in their grog>>>> :P
    IF you go back to page ONE, you will see that this whole thread is based on an article with the same title, an article that was written by a non-PP.Oer...and our commentary is based off of his original premise.
    The FEAR of which he speaks comes mostly from the fact that the Vikings, who didn't make the playoffs despite their obvious rushing and rush defensive strengths, have improved significantly in the areas that they were weakest...and possess in Tarvaris Jackson an unknown element that could very easily catapult them into the elite of the NFC.
    Most experts concede that a QB makes his biggest leap in performance from his first year starting to his second year.
    That being the case, Tarvaris is poised to show significant improvement, which SHOULD strike fear in the hearts of the rest of the NFC...because IF that happens, all of the rest of the pieces are in place for a VERY deep playoff run...possibly culminating in a Super Bowl championship.
    OF COURSE, it's all speculation right now...BUT FEAR is usually predicated on SPECULATION of what can happen in the UNKNOWN.
    FEAR is usually unfounded...but it exists no matter what.
    And there is DEFINITELY fear regarding what the Vikings COULD accomplish if Tarvaris makes what most experts expect from a second-year starter as a normal jump in efficiency.
    One of his biggest critics, Kevin Seifert (who just got hired by Sports Illustrated), has already gone on record as having seen a quantum leap in TJack's level of comfort and understanding in the Vikings' offense.
    Now, I know that still needs to translate in real games, but it is very encouraging nonetheless to us Vikings fans.
    Rodgers, by contrast, hasn't really had the starter's learning curve yet...so if anything, Rodgers is the bigger question mark.

So, bottom line, this thread is admittedly one of speculation (notice the question mark in the title) and none of us Vikings fans here are fooling ourselves...we are only speculating right along with the original author of the article cited.
    BUT if the speculative predictions come to pass, then YES, the rest of the NFC DOES have much to fear....and those fears will be truly founded in performance.

Good post Cajun!
    trippster, if you would bother reading the posts, not all Vike fans agree on the "Most Feared" part.
    Many of us do major qualifications.
    i.e. TJ improves enough to make the passing game strong enough to help open up the best running game in the NFL.

As for the Pack, without Farve they just don't have that fear factor.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"gagarr" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "gagarr" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "trippster" wrote:
    [quote author=marstc09 link=topic=45046.msg781628#msg781628 date=1211303533]
    [quote author=trippster link=topic=45046.msg781611#msg781611 date=1211302912]
    [quote author=singersp link=topic=45046.msg781472#msg781472 date=1211279064]
    [quote author=trippster link=topic=45046.msg781163#msg781163 date=1211230923]
    [quote author=marstc09 link=topic=45046.msg781161#msg781161 date=1211230529]
    [quote author=trippster link=topic=45046.msg781151#msg781151 date=1211229978]

;D

You are not the NFC Champions right now. We might not be feared but we did spank the Super Bowl champs. How did you do against them?
    <<<giving Marstc09 an Evelyn Wood speed reading course coupon>>>> I never said NFC Champion. I said NFC NORTH Champion.

And as far as NYG goes, we spanked them IN NY in the beginning of the season. I believe you played them early too. they were a whole different team once Shockey went down and they gelled. But really, are you trying to make fun of our game in the NFC CHAMPIONSHIP?
    So I will turn it around. how did YOU do in the NFC Championship game?
    I know I will........

[img width=450 height=259]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b21/singersp82759/Packers/FavresLastStand.jpg[/img]

Typical Cheesedick response & I have yet to meet one who doesn't do it. When they win the NFC North, play in a Championship or Superbowl game & lose, it's always, "How did YOUR team do in the NFC north/ChampionshipSuper Bowl game? Then they beat there chest & strut around like a peacock.

Yet when a Viking fan mentions all the Divisions Championships & the NFC Championships they won & ask the Cheesdick fans
    what there team was doing when the Vikings were playing in their Super Bowls, they are quick to discredit all of it, stating that they only thing that matters is a Super Bowl trophy & everyone else are losers.

(walks away chuckling at the hypocrisy of the cheesedick fans & snickering at the QB situation in GB)

Typical BiQueen mentality too. Martsc09 started it when he asked how we did against the giants after he puffed out hsi chest stating how they took care of them during the season. THEN HE ASKED HOW WE DID AGAINST THE GIANTS. As if to rub in the Championship game as I am sure that he wasnt referring to the game earlier in the season.

Marst is good as spinning. Just doesn't work with everyone. If the past doesn't count then why did you mention it?

By the way. Haven't mentionsed any SB in here at all. Nor have I ever mentioned Minnesota coming up short in the SB way back when.

Adding one guy or subracting one guy is not going to change results of a team all that much.
    Seriously do you have a brain because I already stated that the whole point of my post was to prove that you spanking us has nothing to do with this year. Go back and read!

We are more feared than the Packers.
    [/quote]

If you don't use history to speak of someone's or a team's potential than how can you even make any starements? How are you feared more than us? Using your flawed logic, I would have to say than that you have no good running game. After all, AP hasn't done anything this year. And you by your own proclamation, refuse to use history to predict the future so we have to discount his past accomplishments.

Now, we are the defending North Champions. To be the most feared you should first beat the champions. After the first game, you might be the most feared. that will be decided in September.
    [/quote]

No I decided it now.

Who has the edge?

QB - Vikings, TJ has the experience and Rodgers is unproven. TJ has proved he can manage the game and get the W. 8-4 as a starter. Rodgers has started none.
    RB - Vikings, Do I even have to talk about this?
    WR - Packers, not by much though. We will see what they are made of without Farve.
    TE - Vikings, Donald Lee is good but the combo of Mills, Shank, Kleinsasser and Dugan give us more options and they block better.
    OL - Vikings, #1 rushing offense. Need I say more?
    DL - Vikings, #1 rushing defense just got better. Pass rush will improve.
    LB - Vikings, don't believe me? Look at this. Allen will make them even better.

Green Bay Packers 07' Linebacker stats:

Nick Barnett: 131 tackles, 3.5 sacks, 2 interceptions
    A.J. Hawk: 105 tackles, 1 interception, 1 sack, 1 forced fumble
    Brady Poppinga: 50 tackles, 1 interception

Total: 286 tackles, 4.5 sacks, 4 interceptions, 1 forced fumble

Minnesota Vikings 07' Linebacker stats:

E.J. Henderson: 118 tackles, 4.5 sacks, 3 forced fumbles
    Chad Greenway: 105 tackles, 2 interceptions, 2 forced fumbles
    Ben Leber: 67 tackles, 5 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 1 interception

Total: 290 tackles, 9.5 sacks, 3 interceptions, 7 forced fumbles

S - Vikings, Darren Sharper, Madieu Williams. Tyrell Johnson, and Michael Boulware provide depth and mad skills. Bigby has potential but Nick Collins is terrible.

CB - Packers, but they are old. I will take our young guys and Winfield any day!

K & P - Vikings, Not sure it matters that much but Longwell and Kluwe are better than Ryan and Crosby.

Edge: Vikings, We will win this game!

[/quote]

Everyone forgets the intangibles:

Location - Packers... early in the season home field advantage is big
    Emotion - Packers... it's a Farve retirement party
    (hopefully John Randle will show up and give him a SACK for ole time sake)
    Coaching - Packers...
    Chilly still hasn't proven he can make adjustment to win the tight ones
    MNF - Packers... TJ has yet to win on the BIG stage, don't know about Rodgers ability to work under national pressure
    Leadership - Vikes... Loss of Farve is devestating on leadership, which Rodgers will not replace.

I'm still expecting the Vikes to win, but I don't expect it to come easy.
    Mistakes will determine the winner more than great plays.
    [/quote]

Location - Even, It is not winter! Home field advantage does not mean much. See Giants.
    Emotion - Both teams will be pumped. It is the opener. If anything the Favre thing will distract the team and put pressure on Rodgers.
    Coaching - McCarthy will be tested with a new QB. Childress will have a plan. I have faith in him.
    [/quote]

Location - Even, It is not winter! Home field advantage does not mean much. See Giants.
    LOL... How many other teams did better at home than the road, other than the Giants? NONE
    10 out of 16 teams won their home opener in 2007.
    Advantage: Packers

Emotion - Both teams will be pumped. It is the opener. If anything the Favre thing will distract the team and put pressure on Rodgers.
    The Farve thing might be a distraction or fuel... I'm leaning towards fuel.

Coaching - McCarthy will be tested with a new QB. Childress will have a plan. I have faith in him.
    I think McCarthy will have a plan too.
    The QB advantage was already counted, so you can't count it again.
    McCarthy's record 21-11... Childress 14-18.
    Clear advantage Packers
    [/quote]

Nicely put. I am so pumped for this game.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789