Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    I'm ok with taking him OR trading back with the WR starving teams. There WILL be someone offering the farm for Watkins if he is there!!

The one thing different from last year to now is, we have a coach known for finding good talent in the later rounds, ridding us of the need to trade up to get 3 1st round picks like last year. The problem is, if we want a Manziel, Mack or Barr, it reduces our ability to garner more picks in those later rounds. Truly a quandary.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni

Don't even need to read it. Clowney at 8 makes him a Viking, PERIOD.

Zimmer was emphatic about it.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by 2beersTommy View Post
    Now that would be just plain silly! I mean, first off, I don't think he'll be there, but secondly, would we really line up an embarrassment of riches along the DL and worry about filling our other large holes later, ie QB, LB, CB and LG!?

I mean I'm not sure how we line up that many DL...possibly an early down attack of:

Robison-Joseph-Floyd-Griffen

and then a pass rush package something like this:

Robison-Joseph-Wooten-Clowney

Or, Griffen could slide inside on pass rush downs too, and Wooten could line up in BR's spot or Joseph could take a down off and put Wooten and Griffen inside or...? Wow.

But if we did go to a 3-4 package like the author mentions, seems to me Clowney is faster and fits the pass rush OLB role better, while EG is stronger and thus would fit the 3-4 DE position better. LJ would play NT and perhaps Floyd would play one end while Wooten and Griffen rotated at the other, putting BR and JC at OLB in that alignment leaves us with Greenway and Cole playing MLB...?

Interesting thought for a moment or two, but not likely...
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

purpleblood32 is offline Starter
    Blog Entries
    The kid from lsu mettennberger looks like an ideal fit for us ..nfl proto type pocket passer stands around 6'4''.225....strong arm and threw the ball deep for lsu against top competion.
    Carr has show he has the arm for it but wasnt asked to do it fresno....so im leary on him ..non the less the kid from lsu in the second i know its a reach but so what at least we arent moving up to grab him ala tj.ha ha clidress what a bafoon

Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    Now that would be just plain silly! I mean, first off, I don't think he'll be there, but secondly, would we really line up an embarrassment of riches along the DL and worry about filling our other large holes later, ie QB, LB, CB and LG!?

I mean I'm not sure how we line up that many DL...possibly an early down attack of:

Robison-Joseph-Floyd-Griffen

and then a pass rush package something like this:

Robison-Joseph-Wooten-Clowney

Or, Griffen could slide inside on pass rush downs too, and Wooten could line up in BR's spot or Joseph could take a down off and put Wooten and Griffen inside or...? Wow.

But if we did go to a 3-4 package like the author mentions, seems to me Clowney is faster and fits the pass rush OLB role better, while EG is stronger and thus would fit the 3-4 DE position better. LJ would play NT and perhaps Floyd would play one end while Wooten and Griffen rotated at the other, putting BR and JC at OLB in that alignment leaves us with Greenway and Cole playing MLB...?

Interesting thought for a moment or two, but not likely...
    If Zimmer got to have Clowney, and he had too many DLs, he would trade one away. Don't over-think this, he is a huge Clowney fan and has said many times he would LOVE to have him. Having too many good DL players is a high end problem, one I would love to see us have!! It means scared opposing team QBs along with trade fodder for other positions on our team.

All that being said; no, I do not expect Clowney (Mack and Watkins too, for that matter) to be available at 8.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Interesting. I think this evaluation of Manziel is also quite interesting, though a bit of a long read.
    2014 NFL Draft: Johnny Manziel Scouting Report | Vikings Territory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12