Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni

Minnesota Vikings..Making the case for..

2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni

thorshammer is offline Asst. Coach
    I just hope we get someone who can stabilize the QB position ... I'm sick of hearing that the Vikes don't have a QB.

313zoe is offline Starter
    Blog Entries

It would be nice to see tha vikings with a franchise QB for a change

Been reading Gruden after camp loves Carr
    None

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach

I've been thinking about our division, and watching the video in that article makes me salivate at the thought of having Manziel against the other NFC defenses. With Stafford, Cutler and Rodgers in the league, the NFC North's DCs all coach against traditional pocket passing QBs. Ponder and Cassel are both in that same category. Manziel is such a HUGE disruption to that kind of preparation!!

Many people who like JFM compare him to Russell Wilson, but I think there is a big difference: Manziel is more accurate. The cuts he makes when running for his life are astonishing, and he should be fine in the NFL as long as he learns to slide.

In the end though, I personally think it comes down to chance; if he fixes those things needed to make him able to compete in the NFL, and balances his celebrity with football, he is a "every once in a blue moon" type of QB, something we never seem to get.

If he busts, he is no different than Ponder before him. But if he DOESN'T, we are set for years with AP, JFM, Patterson and Jennings. Those could be (or already ARE) powerful weapons that must be respected. The Vikings WILL become THE team in the North.

How can we afford to pass that up if Manziel is there at 8?
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by 2beersTommy View Post
    Johnny Manziel
    Doug Flutie Tootie

purplehelmut is offline Pro-Bowler
    Hopefully someone dumb enough will draft Manziel before the eigth pick comes around and end this discussion once and for all. I think it's safe to say that Zim is not a member of the Johnny Football fan club and I rest easy knowing that. When it's all said and done I don't want the sideshow that goes along with a guy whose skill set is questionable at best in translating to the NFL.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Minnesota Vikings Draft: Making The Case For Khalil Mack - Daily Norseman

That's who I hope falls to no.8! A leader for the Defense who can stuff the run, apply pressure on QBs and coverage on TEs, finally giving us some sort of presence in the middle of the field.

I think comparing JFF to Russel Wilson is a bit short sighted (Pun intended!) as the similarities seem to stop at their size/speed combo. JFF seems to be more improvise first, while Wilson was really more of a game manager in a run first offense who improvises only when necessary, as he still is. Monte Ball scored what, 80 something TDs while they played together in WI!?!

Johnny F'n Football kinda seems to want to take the game into his own hands a bit too soon and too often...something that won't work as well in the pros...that he'll have to be willing to change in order to see sustained success.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    At every stage of his career, he WINS. I watch a lot of "A football life", and THAT is a component of every person being featured. They just win!

I approach this draft from the perspective of, is there anyone that will be at #8 along with Manziel that we will slam our collective heads against the wall because we chose a bust in JFM instead of him... and I don't see that type of person. Don't get me wrong, I see damn good players; but the upside to a Mack or Barr is not nearly as high as a Manziel, Clowney or Watkins. Of those 3, I only see Manziel being available at 8.

In the end, I trust Zimmer... for now. But I reserve the right to throw a temper tantrum like my 4 year old daughter if Manziel is a superstar for someone else who drafted him after we made our pick. If he burns out, I will be the first to point out I would have bet the farm on him, I stay consistent... I do not deny stupidity on my part.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast