Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: The Minnesota Vikings Have A Difficult Road Ahead

We went through a lot this offseason, and I think there WILL be a learning curve. I think we are better than that article gives us credit for, but we're still going to have growing pains, IMO.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"VikingNed" wrote:
    I think, just like our new uniforms, we will come out of camp with a new and determined look and way of play......

I just have this gut feeling the league is going to notice us and look at us with wide eyes and fear...

Thats right, FEAR.....This is a whole new ball game for us this year, and we will dominate.......Trust Me
    Wish I shared your optimism, Ned....but, honestly, I have some serious doubts.

I am concerned about Childress, I am concerned about Darrel Bevel, and I am concerned about our offensive direction. While I am a strong proponent of a tough running game, I'm not sure that we have to skill guys to get us there. Granted, we haven't seen anyone yet, so none of my concerns are factually based...but I still worry.

I am especially concerned about Zygi. I think he's trying to do too much, keep control of too much, and hiring a lot of "wrong" people for positions. I mean, really, what do Mark Wilf and and Leonard Wilf REALLY know about football? Aside from having had Giant's season tickets, I'd be willing to bet that many of us at PP.O know more....a LOT more in some cases...than they do. I have yet to see Zygi bring in a real "Football Guy" to run the show, and that is what he really needs to do.

I worry about our Linebackers. This group has been underachieving for years. I am, however, enthused about Mike Tomlin, I hope he brings some of that Tampa Bay "kick your teeth in on D" attitude to the Vikes.

So, as the season approaches, I am not riding any of the "Hype Wagons" that invariably pop up...but neither am I dreading the start of the season. Personally, I am willing to take this season as a learning experience...provided we actually LEARN from it (Unlike the past few seasons) and build a better team. The only things I really NEED from the Vikes this season is a sweep of the Packers, a sweep of the Bears, and at least 7 total wins. Add in a dose of "building for tomorrow" and I'm happy...for now.

PS: Who thinks that our lack of a high end QB this season indicates a strong possibility of aggressively trying to sign Schaub next year?

Caine

PurplePride80 is offline Star Spokesman

"happy camper" wrote:
    its kinda funny.

just because he got it wrong the round burleson was drafted in, everyone likes to think the whole article is crap.

basically, most of the article is correct. if you do not see the problems he pointed out, then you have some serious purple glasses on.
    Very good point, I agree with you.

In my opinion, we've got a long way to go, but I like the improvements we've made so far.
    In the P.J.'s, my blend tape plays, bullets are strays
    Young bitches is grazed
    Each block, is like a maze, full of black rats trapped
    Plus the Island is packed
    From what I hear in all the stories when my peoples come back, black

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

I just hope we don't end up being a 3-13 team this year because of all the changes. That's what I'm kind of worried about.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"SKOL" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    [size=18px]The Minnesota Vikings Have A Difficult Road Ahead[/size]

They let former first-round wide receiver Nate Burleson depart in free agency.
    Uhhh, Burleson was a third rounder.
    I caught that right away too.

It made me stop reading the article.

Get your facts straight, have someone proofread your article next time.

LOL

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"happy camper" wrote:
    its kinda funny.

just because he got it wrong the round burleson was drafted in, everyone likes to think the whole article is crap.

basically, most of the article is correct. if you do not see the problems he pointed out, then you have some serious purple glasses on.
    At this point, I don't think the rest of the article is crap, I didn't read it. I don't have the right to say the article is crap.

But if he said that just because we added players and changed the surrounding, is that going to make the Viking instantly a better team. If he said no, I would have to say he is right on.

I think that a title for a good article would be Lots to Prove!

We haven't even played a game yet, it is hard to say how we are going to perform, coaches, players and office alike.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

I think that our focus on building strong offensive and defensive lines will serve us well as the season wears on...just look at the one great season that Bennett had...it was because our OL was kicking butts and taking names...no reason to think that both Chester and MeMo (both of whom have way better vision than Bennett) won't be able to get the same kind of yardage if not more next season. Brad will be just fine behind that OL as well. On DEFENSE, if we can resolve the situation in the middle *cough* Donnie Edwards *cough*, we will be just fine as well...no shortage of LBs to play the outside positions! If our DBs can cover the WRs for a long enough time, our DL will eventually get to the QB and sack him or they will force the QBs into making poor throws which will get picked off.

I don't think that we will be great, but I do think that we will be solid...if we can win the winable games, then we may just have a shot at making the playoffs...I think that one or two of the teams in the other divisions will falter, giving us a shot at a wild card...who knows, maybe Chicago will choke and we can win the division outright! Wishful thinking given their depth, but stranger things have happened!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Big C is offline Coordinator

I am expecting a solid 9-7 season from the Vikes this year. Despite all the negatives this reporter points out, here are the positives from my perspective:

1. We actually have an Offensive Coordinator.
    2. We don't have Ted Cottrell anymore.
    3. Childress seems marginally better than Tice so far.
    4. Solid O-Line with quality depth.
    5. Finally someone who can play #1 WR.
    6. Studwell and Rob B have contract extensions.
    7. Fran Foley is gone. We never should have taken him in the first place, but hell we did, learnt our lesson, and fired his ass.

Even though the coaching staff has no measurable experience, I have a HELL of a lot more confidence than the lot we had last year. No doubts about it.

My biggest concern is depth behind Brad. But once I put my purple shades on that concern goes away :grin:.
    Halo 4. Start another fight.

DCPologirl is offline Team Alumni

wow it sounds like I wrote that LOL. I swear that I have made every statement that was made in that article at my bar!

DCPologirl:Maybe Randy will make Aaron Brooks look better......roflmao Del Rio: I guarantee he will

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

I noticed the Burly thing to.

And also the thing about Childress got me going. It's not so much that he hangs his hat on the fact that Reid wanted to call his own plays, but he seems to forget that Childress were probably the most wanted HC aspirant out there, and the Vikes were lucky to bring him in, imo.

That said I would agree with Ltrey33 that there is a possible learning curve for the team, and the young coaching staff this season. But as time goes I believe - well I have to :smile: - that we've got a formula for succes.

To the rest of the article, I agree that he has some good observations despite his allready mentioned ignorant comments.

First of all we are fragile at QB. Brad will most likely do well, but if he goes down he leaves a questionmark.

Then he questions our LB core. I am one of the believers for this coming season, but it is true that almost all of our players in that group are set for a season of proving their ability.

So all in all a good artikel, glad to have you back with us singersp.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast