Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

The Minnesota Vikings Have A Difficult Road Ahead

[size=18px]The Minnesota Vikings Have A Difficult Road Ahead[/size]

Posted: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 12:00 AM
    sportsmemo.com

In the last two years, the Vikings have traded both a potential Hall of Famer at wide receiver in Randy Moss and their Pro-Bowl quarterback Daunte Culpepper. They let former first-round wide receiver Nate Burleson depart in free agency. And, after years of stockpiling running back talent, injuries and attrition leave them without a proven starter heading into training camp. The Vikings head into their offseason minicamps with more question marks at the skill positions than they’ve had in at least a decade.

Then we look at the quarterback problem. Yes, Brad Johnson guided the Buccaneers to a Super Bowl championship a few years back. But, as we all know, it was Tampa Bay’s defense that carried them to the title, not Johnson’s arm. Now, Johnson enters the season as the oldest starting quarterback in the NFL, older than Brett Favre.

It’s surely worth noting that Johnson has played in all 16 regular-season games only three times since he was drafted in the ninth round back in 1992. Behind him on the depth chart is Mike McMahon, who failed miserably as Donovan McNabb’s backup in Philadelphia last year. The Vikings quarterback situation is an accident waiting to happen.

Minnesota has all kinds of question marks on defense as well. Their linebacking corps is particularly problematic. Napoleon Harris, acquired in the Randy Moss-trade, has struggled with injuries throughout his career, and he has never played middle linebacker for any extended period in the NFL. Nevertheless, the Vikings have him penciled as their MLB starter for 2006. E.J. Henderson, newly acquired Ben Leber and 2006 first-round pick Chad Greenway are fighting for the other starting positions, leaving serious question marks.

Minnesota has a first-year head coach in Brad Childress, his first head-coaching gig on any level. Childress did not call the plays in Philadelphia, a rarity among NFL offensive coordinators, leaving that duty to head coach Andy Reid. And his hiring appears to have much to do with the “Midwest values” that he talked about in his first press conference. I guess he interviewed well.....

Even owner Zigy Wilf is a new kid on the block, left to pick up the pieces of the failed Mike Tice-era. The sudden dismissal of personnel executive Fran Foley following a subpar draft is only the latest mini-drama to engulf the Vikings, a team that seems to be embroiled in controversy more often than not. Two players are still awaiting trial from last year’s Lake Minnetonka boating incident, leaving it in the media spotlight during the summer. Minnesota’s off-field issues remain a problem heading into fall camp.

Minnesota came on strong during the second half of the season last year, in large part due to an exceptionally easy scheduling stretch. The Vikings also got the benefit of numerous bounces in their direction (remember that victory against the Giants?), losing the turnover battle only once in their final 10 games. Expecting the Vikings to match the nine victories they had in 2005 is not something this bettor is willing to do.

The Minnesota Vikings Have A Difficult Road Ahead

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Re: The Minnesota Vikings Have A Difficult Road Ahead

I hope everyting rolls our way, and all the changes don't hurt us.

shawn9876uss is offline Coordinator

I hope we don't have a bad season.

Thanks PurpleMafia

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Im predicting a down season until we get the changes rolling..

Remember last year when it took a little over half the year for our D to pretty much fully gel?

Or the Pistons for basketball.. Took them awhile to gel but now they are amazing..

We have changes in the running game, passing game, WR game, coaches and some on D...

I hope everyone isn't predicting a huge year.. It could happen.. Just remember we need to gel

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

"singersp" wrote:
    [size=18px]The Minnesota Vikings Have A Difficult Road Ahead[/size]

They let former first-round wide receiver Nate Burleson depart in free agency.
    Uhhh, Burleson was a third rounder.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

I noticed that too Skol haha..

I was like wtf, who wrote this article?

Sportsmemo!

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

lol, I stopped reading after that. He obviusly doesn't know a lot about the Vikings.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

tampaviking is offline Rookie

last year they we're supposed to be the #1 team in the NFC, 10 bucks says that someone wrote a similiar article about the steelers at the beginning of last year

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

"SKOL" wrote:
    lol, I stopped reading after that. He obviusly doesn't know a lot about the Vikings.

Exactly. If the guy dosnt know anything about our WR's, he deff dosnt know about this team.I stopped reading also.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

"WilliamsonOfTroy" wrote:
    "SKOL" wrote:

Exactly. If the guy dosnt know anything about our WR's, he deff dosnt know about this team.I stopped reading also.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast