Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Minnesota Vikings 2007 Season Preview

"V" wrote:

All these predictions are based on paper.
    Of course they are. What else would they be based on? If they waited till after the season, it wouldn't exactly be a prediction?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "V" wrote:

Of course they are. What else would they be based on? If they waited till after the season, it wouldn't exactly be a prediction?
    1. Homerism
    2. Gut Feeling
    3. Coaching Strategy
    4. What they saw last year. (anybody who actually watched TJ last year saw that he has the ability to make some plays).
    5. Players in regards to the scheme being run. (Not every team passes to win, yet analysts count QB and WR way too much in rankings).
    6. Schedule (a breakdown which posters here love to do, but "experts" never seem to do.

Predictions vary for each team and also vary on what you base them on.
    My predictions.
    Paper: 7-9
    Homerism: 16-0
    Gut Feeling: 10-6
    Coaching Strategy: 6-10
    Last Year: 9-7
    Players in Scheme: 8-8
    Schedule: 9-7

As someone who follows just one team, I have the knowledge capable of doing that. Sports guys who cover the entire NFL in turn know nothing about a single team and have to resort to paper for their information.

I regard the Pioneeer, Star Tribune, and KFAN guys opinion more because of that, although sometimes I wonder if they actually watch the games.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"V" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "V" wrote:

1. Homerism
    2. Gut Feeling
    3. Coaching Strategy
    4. What they saw last year. (anybody who actually watched TJ last year saw that he has the ability to make some plays).
    5. Players in regards to the scheme being run. (Not every team passes to win, yet analysts count QB and WR way too much in rankings).
    6. Schedule (a breakdown which posters here love to do, but "experts" never seem to do.

My predictions.

As someone who follows just one team, I have the knowledge capable of doing that. Sports guys who cover the entire NFL in turn know nothing about a single team and have to resort to paper for their information.

I regard the Pioneeer, Star Tribune, and KFAN guys opinion more because of that, although sometimes I wonder if they actually watch the games.
    Your on a roll today.
    Thats two great posts.
    Keep it up.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "sleepagent" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "sleepagent" wrote:
    I feel the success of our season will hinge on how well our defense can shut down opponents . . . AND . . . our offense can do just enough, at key times, to give us a lead.
    Our chance is to basically become the Balitmore Raven's a few seasons ago.

Hopefully JACKSON will develop, along with some of our receivers, to the point were we become more balanced, and our OL (not just HUTCH) figures out how to block someone.
    We have the potential for the offense to develop quickly this year, but I think it's gonna be another rough ride.

Factoring in inevitable key injuries and some bad luck . . . Vikings will have another losing record year.
    I hope to eat crow.
    You are always so cheerfull.

;D
    I finally took off my Purple Sunglasses and threw them away!
    ;D

Don't get me wrong . . . I want for us to kick jiggly butt and prove everyone wrong.
    I just don't see it this year.
    I can hope . . . but that doesn't make anything better.

I've been a fan of "this will be our year" for so long now . . . I decided to take a more objective look (starting last season).
    Maybe it's more of a strategy, but as you know, when you live outside Minnesota . . . and your team sucks . . . you never hear the end of it.
    I'm with ya.
    I live in VA.
    Deadskin country.
    I remember when we got Smoot from them.
    They were all......"He sucks" "Your gonna hate him" and now that they have him back they are all "You are so dumb for letting him go".

Anyway.
    I have to much invested in this team to give up on them now when the future looks so bright.
    Optimism breeds success my friend.

;D
    I know what you're going through as I lived in Old Towne Alexandria for many years.
    Hearing about the Redskins, especially in the late 1980's made me into a fan of the Vikings AND anyone who played the Skins.

I live in Northeastern PA so I get it from the GIANTS and EAGLES.
    We haven't exactly been blowing them away in the past several years.

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"V" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "V" wrote:

1. Homerism
    2. Gut Feeling
    3. Coaching Strategy

My predictions.

Which is exactly why I said they are based on paper? This guy is a sports writer,not?

BTW, I'd half to disagree with #6. The schedules are predefined& available on the internet & on paper, so I would classify that as such.

For individuals though, I would add faith & hope. A lot of people believe their team will do good because they are their favorite. But when you are talking about a lousy team such as the Raiders, that faith is more in the category of blind faith & that is pretty much covered under Homerism.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

It was believed that the Vikings might bring someone in to test punter Chris Kluwe (42.3 avg.) during training camp, but that plan apparently never came together.
    Isn't his name Reyes?
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12