Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 12345 13 ... LastLast
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Minnesota Senate committee authorizes Vikings stadium study

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "AngloVike" wrote:
    Thanks for that NP - nice to know there is some movement going on. One bit I'm not sure about is
    Bagley said the Vikings and the NFL have committed $250 million toward the project. That leaves $700 million for stadium supporters to find.
    I thought the NFL funding for stadiums had all finished now?
    It had.
    Goodell wants to reimplement it, but will likely face stiff opposition from the larger market owners.
    The $250 is just from the Vikings.
    Hopefully not from either the owners of the Jets or Giants, since they got $300 million.
    And certainly not from the owners of the Seahawks, Cardinals, Texans or any other team who got a nice fat check.

As far as I can tell, Jerry Jones didn't get anything from the G3 fund.
    Not that he needed it.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Zeus" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "AngloVike" wrote:
    Thanks for that NP - nice to know there is some movement going on. One bit I'm not sure about is
    Bagley said the Vikings and the NFL have committed $250 million toward the project. That leaves $700 million for stadium supporters to find.
    It had.
    Goodell wants to reimplement it, but will likely face stiff opposition from the larger market owners.
    Hopefully not from either the owners of the Jets or Giants, since they got $300 million.
    And certainly not from the owners of the Seahawks, Cardinals, Texans or any other team who got a nice fat check.

Not that he needed it.

=Z=
    While I don't think the Seahawks or Cardinals can be considered large market owners, I believe a lot of the opposition came from owners like Kraft.
    And the teams that already got their money really don't have any reason to push for the fund again, now do they?
    It went through last time because a lot of teams stood to benefit from it.
    Since Minnesota drug their feet, they missed out, and now only a handful of small market teams actually stand to benefit from a stadium fund - not nearly enough to push the plan through again.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "AngloVike" wrote:
    It had.

Not that he needed it.
    While I don't think the Seahawks or Cardinals can be considered large market owners, I believe a lot of the opposition came from owners like Kraft.
    And the teams that already got their money really don't have any reason to push for the fund again, now do they?
    Since Minnesota drug their feet, they missed out, and now only a handful of small market teams actually stand to benefit from a stadium fund - not nearly enough to push the plan through again.
    San Francisco is hardly a "small market", and they are also in the process of getting a new stadium.

=Z=

Blog Entries

"Zeus" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "AngloVike" wrote:
    It had.

Not that he needed it.
    San Francisco is hardly a "small market", and they are also in the process of getting a new stadium.

=Z=
    Yes, but the Vikings and the 49ers are the only two teams left looking for new stadiums or renovation who did not take advantage of the fund.
    Do you think the other 30 teams really want to give up a portion of their revenue to help two franchises?
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    [quote author=AngloVike link=topic=43607.msg748431#msg748431 date=1206647702]
    It had.

Not that he needed it.

=Z=
    Yes, but the Vikings and the 49ers are the only two teams left looking for new stadiums or renovation who did not take advantage of the fund.
    Do you think the other 30 teams really want to give up a portion of their revenue to help two franchises?
    [/quote]

I thought San Fran just got a new stadium? Didn't they tear down Candlestick Park?
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    [quote author=AngloVike link=topic=43607.msg748431#msg748431 date=1206647702]
    It had.

Not that he needed it.
    [/quote]

Right now they are.
    That will change.

=Z=

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

What shocked me were some of the comments below...Dang!
    I knew there was opposition, but not like this.
    These guys must of grown up in Wisconsin or something.

Yes, let's have the Wilf group decide how to develop a huge swath of our Downtown.
    Maybe they can make it look more like New Jersey.
    All kidding aside, the Vikings can start packing their busses for L.A and this sports fan won't lose any sleep over it.

Sorry football fans...you're one of a kind, and not my kind. You want it so bad, you, Zigi and the NFL can figure out how to pay for it yourselves.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Blog Entries

"mountainviking" wrote:

Yes, let's have the Wilf group decide how to develop a huge swath of our Downtown.
    All kidding aside, the Vikings can start packing their busses for L.A and this sports fan won't lose any sleep over it.

Sorry football fans...you're one of a kind, and not my kind. You want it so bad, you, Zigi and the NFL can figure out how to pay for it yourselves.
    The people who post comments on online articles are not generally indicative of the rest of the population.
    Of course there are some people who are against it.
    But luckily the legislators are a little smarter than that.
    The stage is set, and it will happen in 2009, mark my words (especially after we make a strong playoff push this year!).
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"mountainviking" wrote:

screw la........bowers hill va is a much better location for a new stadium..

infrastructure
    big businesses
    large enough fan base

and a govmt that will do anything to land a team......

just cant convince owners we wouldnt impact the dead skins
    :'(
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

On a positive note...there was one fan on there with a decent idea.
    Selling shares to the fans would raise some money...and many likely would be happy with just a piece of paper they could frame saying they own something.
    If they got a discount on season tickets or parking or something, even better.

My idea is to look at it from a business perspective on all sides.
    If the state of MN is going to have to fund 50-75% of the new stadium, they deserve a return on the investment.
    I'm not talking just the fringe benefits either, but real money in hand.
    One idea is that MN owns the parking lots and profits from parking sales could go toward repaying the state, or into a state fund for future development, education, etc.
    Another idea would be throwing an extra tax on game tickets themselves...I'm pretty sure all of us PPOers would gladly throw an extra $10 per tix if we knew it would help keep our Vikings in MN for the long run.

IMHO, the fringe benefits are obvious.
    This would remake the old downtown or at least give it a face lift, bring jobs into the area, and keep people in current jobs as well...and then there is future event business possibilities.
    One final four or superbowl in MN would bring millions of dollars in hotel, bar and restaurant spending to the area...an extra 1% tax on these local businesses could go a long way toward paying it off.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 12345 13 ... LastLast