NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Minnesota Senate committee authorizes Vikings stadium study

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "olson_10" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "olson_10" wrote:
    [quote author=NodakPaul link=topic=43607.msg752336#msg752336 date=1207167113]
    [quote author=olson_10 link=topic=43607.msg752331#msg752331 date=1207166891]
    well the study was vetoed, so thats just further proof that the state government cant wait to boot the vikings out..the state will be missing out on the revenues that wouldve been generated by hosting a superbowl
    I had not heard that it was vetoed yet.
    Link?
    http://www.startribune.com/politics/17229884.html
    Yup.
    I found that right after.
    It wasn't vetoed though, it was removed.
    Not a great move IMHO
    guess i meant to say nixed lol..i agree tho, poor move..they wont help out to fund a study, who on earth will believe theres a chance of a stadium deal getting done..its almost like a move is becoming inevitable
    The move isn't inevitable.
    The issue was really that the Senate didn't want the Vikings skipping over the committees directly into the floor.
    While I wish they would have left it in, I can understand the reasons behind taking it out.
    It is kind of skipping over the process.

I still think that the issue has enough support to make it through committee in 2009 anyway.

[/quote]
    I think the MSFC is state owned, so in reality it is taxpayer money funding it.

Currently though it seems the MSFC is more of state funded lobbyist group for pro sports.
    [/quote]

No, it specifically said it was going to come out of the metrodome reserves.
    That is the profit they make from the dome.
    Currently, the MSFC has about $16 million of non-taxpayer money in the reserves.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "olson_10" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    [quote author=olson_10 link=topic=43607.msg752338#msg752338 date=1207167177]
    well the study was vetoed, so thats just further proof that the state government cant wait to boot the vikings out..the state will be missing out on the revenues that wouldve been generated by hosting a superbowl
    Link?
    Yup.
    Not a great move IMHO
    guess i meant to say nixed lol..i agree tho, poor move..they wont help out to fund a study, who on earth will believe theres a chance of a stadium deal getting done..its almost like a move is becoming inevitable
    The issue was really that the Senate didn't want the Vikings skipping over the committees directly into the floor.
    While I wish they would have left it in, I can understand the reasons behind taking it out.

I still think that the issue has enough support to make it through committee in 2009 anyway.

[/quote]

Currently though it seems the MSFC is more of state funded lobbyist group for pro sports.
    [/quote]

Currently, the MSFC has about $16 million of non-taxpayer money in the reserves.
    [/quote]

So they run entirely off of their own income?
    They don't receive state funding?
    Just curious, interesting if true.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "olson_10" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    Link?
    Yup.
    Not a great move IMHO

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
    Right but who owns the MSFC? Are they a privately owned business? No they were established by the state legislature to manage sports facilities. I know they operate on monies recieved from operating the metrodome and other facilities, but I think that the state still owns them and can do what ever it wants with that money.
    Wow, 25 years of owning the metrodome and they have an entire 16million in profit and a stadium that by all reports has been maintained poorly and will likely be bulldozed in the next few years, much better than a private business could do. :

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "olson_10" wrote:
    [quote author=NodakPaul link=topic=43607.msg752346#msg752346 date=1207167535]
    Link?
    Yup.
    Not a great move IMHO

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
    Right but who owns the MSFC? Are they a privately owned business? No they were established by the state legislature to manage sports facilities. I know they operate on monies recieved from operating the metrodome and other facilities, but I think that the state still owns them and can do what ever it wants with that money.
    Wow, 25 years of owning the metrodome and they have an entire 16million in profit and a stadium that by all reports has been maintained poorly and will likely be bulldozed in the next few years, much better than a private business could do. :
    [/quote]

Just because they have 16 million sitting in the bank doesn't mean that is their 25 year net profit.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    [quote author=olson_10 link=topic=43607.msg752352#msg752352 date=1207167653]
    Link?
    Yup.
    Not a great move IMHO

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
    [/quote]

Just because they have 16 million sitting in the bank doesn't mean that is their 25 year net profit.

[/quote]
    Where did the rest of the money go? I have looked at it quite a bit and I have not been able to find any record of any money going back to the state.

Blog Entries

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    Link?
    Yup.
    Not a great move IMHO

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
    [/quote]

[/quote]

No kidding.
    As a state run organization, I would be upset if they were not reinvesting their profit somehow.
    Just letting it sit in a bank would be a waste of money.
    If they had a huge reserve, then they are either
    1) not putting enough money into maintenance,
    2) charging events too much to hold them there (which means higher ticket prices), or
    3) not putting enough money into improvements.

And you are correct BH, the metrodome does not rely on any additional funding to run.
    They fund themselves entirely.
    Of course, another benefit to having it connected to the state is that they only charge the bare minimum to hold events there.
    If it was a privately owned facility, things like the outdoors show or the camper show could not afford to use it.
    In fact, most of the events that are currently staged in the metrodome would either not occur or be much more expensive to the consumer if the facility was private.

Yet another one of the indirect, yet tangible benefits to the average citizen by having a state owned facility...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    [quote author=NodakPaul link=topic=43607.msg752358#msg752358 date=1207167916]
    Link?
    Yup.
    Not a great move IMHO

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
    [/quote]

[/quote]
    Where did the rest of the money go? I have looked at it quite a bit and I have not been able to find any record of any money going back to the state.
    [/quote]

Stadium upkeep and minor upgrades, advertising, payroll for the many employees, etc.

Blog Entries

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    Link?
    Yup.
    Not a great move IMHO

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
    [/quote]

[/quote]
    [/quote]

See my previous post.
    It is not designed to be a money making venture.
    The budget and prices are set to sit just above even.
    If it was a money making venture, like it would be if it was private, the amount charged to events and advertising would be higher, which would mean higher event tickets for everybody else.

Again, another benefit of having a state run facility.
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    [quote author=jmcdon00 link=topic=43607.msg752361#msg752361 date=1207168175]
    Link?
    Yup.
    Not a great move IMHO

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
    [/quote]

[/quote]
    [/quote]

See my previous post.
    It is not designed to be a money making venture.
    The budget and prices are set to sit just above even.
    If it was a money making venture, like it would be if it was private, the amount charged to events and advertising would be higher, which would mean higher event tickets for everybody else.

Again, another benefit of having a state run facility.
    [/quote]

This helps explain why our ticket prices are so much cheaper than other venues I've been to and others I've tried to buy tickets for.
    In a rare turn of events, a government owned entity actually shows something positive!
    ;D

Blog Entries

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    This helps explain why our ticket prices are so much cheaper than other venues I've been to and others I've tried to buy tickets for.
    In a rare turn of events, a government owned entity actually shows something positive!
    ;D
    I hope you mean for concerts and stuff there.
    Vikings tickets are unfortunately in the top third of the league for average price - something directly related to the lack of luxury seats and club seating, which doesn't have to contribute to revenue sharing.

But yeah, for concerts and events, you will see lower ticket prices at public owned facilities than private ones.
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast